X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a future for test cricket?

You love that picture, don't you?
    So do I.

This team isn't good enough to wear the pink. You need to have more than a little bit of swagger to pull it off.

Comment

It was. Basically, England couldn't seem to hit straight down the ground so relied on impro shots on the leg side: result, both openers bowled through huge gaps then most of the others scooping rather than slogging to mid wioket.
      I'd love to know what that means.

Comment

Is Stanford pulling the plug?

It would make sense for him to dump the ECB early on in any "restructuring" of his "investment". He needs to keep the Antiguan government on his side or face potentially humongous tax consequences.

I would also argue that it would be better for the game as a whole for the IPL to become the pre-eminent international 20/20 competition.

Comment

What with the ECB losing its Vodafone sponsorship deal yesterday, they'll be shitting themselves in the accounts department? But it might teach the ECB not to put so many eggs in such a fragile basket.

The impact on West Indies cricket will be the one to watch, though in and of itself Stanford's fucking-off can only be celebrated.

Comment

And now a cut in central funding as well; Monty's had a better week than the money guys at the ECB.

The Stanford Legends are no more. I continue to hope that political considerations cause Stanford to continue to fund lower profile, more grass roots initiatives, but that may be too much to hope for.

Similarly, one could hope that the sudden disappearance of the Great Benefactor might cause the West Indian game to pull as one and get its act together on its own, but that seems even more Pollyannaish.

Comment

Stanford's people are spinning this as him being pissed off with all the politicking and lack of respect he gets. But I suspect he's just broke.

Comment

That's odd, because I'd have thought "politicking and lack of respect" describes, precisely, Stanford's own conduct towards cricket in the past 12 months.

Comment

E10, sponsorship is only 14% of total income so it's not as bad as it could be. The TV deal is worth far more, and they smartly negotiated the next one early. I wonder whether Sky will look to get out of that, but it looks OK from here.

Having said that, if I were one of the new sponsors they're looking for I wouldn't be too keen sponsoring something people can't watch because it's on Sky.

Comment

Working...
                  X