They name horses don't they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember a horse trainer who tried to mess with the authorities censorship rules about 10 years ago. Using the power of spoonerisms he named horses Betty Swallocks and Mary Hinge. I'm sure there were more. Anyone recall these names?

Not these, but there was definetly a horse called Noble Locks a few years ago.

Comment

A gelding was it?

Comment

Indeed it was. I was surprised the name got past the censor.

Comment

Didnt Robbie Fowler and Steve Mcmanaman cause a stir by naming their horses summit like "Another Horse" and " Our Horse" for the commentary comedy value? I heard The Jockey Club had to introduce emergency naming regs to outlaw the word "Horse" from names. Urban myth mebbes?

Comment

Nope, they genuinely owned "Some Horse" with a number of their teammates.

Comment

the often seen kid wrote:
              Not these, but there was definetly a horse called Noble Locks a few years ago.
              Sorry, but why is that dirty?

The most I ever won off a horse was a bet on a longshot at Del Mar named White Bronco. Thankfully it went faster than OJ did.

Comment

No bollocks, Inca.

It's a Brit thing.

Comment

I say it fast, and I still can't get it to sound like that. Oh well.

Comment

There was a hoss running in France a couple of years ago called Big Tits - clearly the French jockey club aren't multilingual.

Comment

There was one called Who Gives A Donald about twenty years ago. But you'd hardly expect racing's regulators to be familiar with rhyming slang.

Comment

Which came first - Red Rum, or "red rum!"?

Comment

It was Red Rum, wasn't it?

Comment

For what it's worth - very little, I know - Red Rum raced from 1967 to 1978 (yes, that long).

Comment

I finally got to see l'Arc, and bugger me, wasnt that little filly really rather fast?

Bit of a bugger about the Prix de l'Abbaye, as I was tipping that Hungarian special from about July. Oh well, nobody lost their money. (Or did they? 200% to thread... are the rules still 'Esha Ness' like?)

Comment

Well, I haven't worked in the trade for eight years now, but, if memory serves, you don't get money back if you bet ante post on any race unless the race or meeting is abandoned. So, yes, people would have lost money if they backed ante post and it pulled out. They would get money back as a non-runner if it was after the final declarations, on accumulators it cuts the bet (so a yankee becomes a trixie and so on) and on Tote betting or the Scoop 6 or whatever, non-runners usually get transferred to the favourite.

Comment

Working...
                                X