NBA Playoffs 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBA Playoffs 2008

It was worse than dissing Catholics--it was dissing Notre Dame.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Must have been a BC fan.

JV, do you really think someone might hurt me just for having a decal on my car? Those people provoked that woman. I'm not that dumb. And, I'm courteous to other drivers, even if I see a Yankees decal on theirs. It's hard to believe that people would resort to violence over a baseball rivalry. It's so stupid.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

When I see someone with a USC sticker on their car, I would never hurt them. I make a snap judgment about them, think they couldn't have gotten into a better school, our loudmouth bandwagon jerks, and I loathe them with every particle of my being. But I would never hurt them.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

This is starting to become relevant to the Italy/Romania thread.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I was being cheeky.

There's tons of Red Sawk fans in NYC, anyway.

I thought it was telling that the lady who ran over those people wasn't from New York, and it didn't happen in New York. Yankees fans are actually pretty laid back, apart from the Bleachers Creatures.

However, keep us posted for any keyings - Turnpike cutoffs.

(I will say, the only time my car got keyed was for a Clinton-Gore '92 sticker. Being that I just put a Geauxbama sticker from dirtycoast.com, I'll keep everyone posted on that as well.)

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

The term "Geauxbama" looks like LSU fans cheering on Alabama. Which would never happen.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I also think the Red Sox finally winning was the worst thing to ever happen to the rivalry. Now there's no edge, no point to it.

The whole thing was that the Yanks always won, and the Sox always lost. Year after year. Decade after decade. Thus, once the Sox won, the thing that made the rivalry great was gone.

***JV PRO WRESTLING ANALOGY ALERT*** In pro wrestling, there's a thing called a "slow boil." This is when a feud between two wrestlers would start innocuous enough, then get worse, then get worse, and build and build over the course of a year, two years, or more years. This would lead to the "blowoff" match, usually at a large stadium where tens of thousands would pay money to see the final chapter. Usually this would be a "loser leaves town" match, where the loser would end up in another territory anyway.

For the Yanks and Sox, they had the rare case of an 86-year slow boil. First the Babe Ruth trade, then one World Series, then 10, then Bucky Dent, then Bill Buckner. The blowoff was the Yanks being up 3-0 in the ALCS. Once that was gone, the pent-up angst of Boston fans is gone, the very thing that made it interesting is gone, and everyone's just going through the motions.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Well, would be unusual, but very well could happen (if the Tigers needed Bama to beat someone in order to get past them in the standings.)

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

OK, so it would be unlikely to happen then.

I just read the Ashley Morris FYYFF rant, and I agree with it, but I think he's too harsh on NYC. It isn't our fault that we're more important to Washington than NOLA is. We didn't really want or need Bush's help, but we didn't have a choice.

I don't think there is anyone in New York who wouldn't have preferred that the government had been as interested and involved in dealing with the aftermath of Katrina as it was in the aftermath of That Fateful Day.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

From today's LA Times:

Gasol also said he would remember the team's hectic exit from TD Banknorth Garden after the Game 6 loss.

A mob of Celtics fans pounded the Lakers' bus with their fists and shouted out expletives. Some revelers threw rocks and chased the bus down the street.
                      You stay classy, Boston.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Inca, have you forgotten the 2000 NBA championships? It was 2000, wasn't it?

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

That was trashing your own city and throwing rocks at the LAPD. Not throwing rocks at the opposing team's bus. For fans of a franchise that thinks of itself as being naturally above all other pro teams--and with that many championships, why not?--it seemed really amateur. Like they've never won a title before.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

So it's okay to cause damage and injury, as long as you're doing it to your own? I know that's not really what you meant to imply, but that's how it came across.

You don't really think that all Boston fans should be painted with that same brush, do you? The people who cause trouble are a very small minority.

The truth is, there are a lot of people who are stupid, especially when they get drunk. But those people aren't only in Boston; they're literally everywhere.

I don't mind that you show your disdain for those fans, but please don't blame the entire city of Boston, or all Celtics fans, for that matter.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I don't understand the impulse, but there's a tradition of celebrating fans fucking up their own shit. I'd think the losing fans would want to act out more, but go figure. By no means are Boston fans the only ones--the Laker fans in 2000 have been the worst recent example--but I don't ever remember fans in America trying to attack the losing opposing players before.

And rest easy--Boston fans don't have anything on Detroit fans.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

"Kobe, you can't do without me
                                So Kobe...TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTE"
                                -Shaquille O'Neal 2008

http://deadspin.com/5018959/shaquille-oneal-wont-mince-words-about-kobe-bryant

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Odd that Kevin Love and OJ Mayo should be traded for each other.

I don't know if UCLA has ever had two players picked in the top 5 of the draft. And as for the Pac-10, here's Heisler in today's LAT:

The draft was the Year of the Pac-10 Freshmen. Five of the first 11 picks were from the Pac-10 and three of those (Mayo, Love, Jerryd Bayless) were freshmen.

A few more seasons like this one and the Pac-10 could be in Division II.
                                  And let's have a moment of quiet reflection for USC's freshman Davon Jefferson. He declared for the draft and hired an agent, thereby giving up his collegiate eligibility, and went undrafted.

Comment

Working...
                                  X