NBA Playoffs 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NBA Playoffs 2008

While the Hornets continue the insanity that is their rise to the top of the West as they beat the Heat last night, Miami had an unusual gameplan in the 3rd quarter...

Meanwhile, as Chandler and the Hornets took care of the undermanned Heat, most of Miami's best players headed up to the Heat's executive offices at halftime and the early portions of the third quarter - manning a phone bank as prospective season-ticket buyers called in about the 2008-09 season.

Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Jason Williams and Shawn Marion were among the injured Heat players working their sales magic.

``This is D-Wade. Who is this?'' is how Wade began one conversation with a man who wound up buying seats. ``Just tell me one thing. Just tell me you're going to be back next year to watch us come back and get back to our winning ways, get back to the playoffs and get back to competing for a championship.''

Before the deal got done, Wade even engaged the caller in some draft conversation - but didn't reveal the name of the player he wants running alongside him next year.

``He's still in the tournament,'' was the only hint Wade would offer.

(Hmmm. Memphis point guard Derrick Rose, anyone?)

``These people make an incredible investment in us,'' Riley said. ``But I also think they know we have a track record and while there have been some down years here, we've turned it around real quick and were able to give them back value. They didn't get it this year, for a lot of reasons.''

Heat fans who were there Wednesday night got some value, at least for a little while.

NBA Playoffs 2008

I think back on the old board I contribued to the NBA thread by saying that Celtics of Boston would definitely not win the NBA title this year.

I just wanted to remind everyone so when I'm wrong you know who to gloat at. I won't be though.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I hope you're right, Matej.

If the Lakers beat the Celtics in the Finals...you ever seen Amelie? Do you remember when she took the blind guy by the arm and marched him down the street, describing every sight before them in a mad dash, and when she walked away, the blind guy briefly glowed and lifted off the ground? That would be me if the Lakers beat the Celtics.

I mean, that rivalry was what got me into basketball when I was a kid, but really, I was too young to truly appreciate it. Not now.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

So I was driving home yesterday, and I saw a Rolls Royce with a Lakers license plate holder, and a vanity license plate reading 9XWCHMP, and I thought, 'wow, that guy really likes the Lakers. I pass the car, look over, and see Dr. Jerry Buss sitting in the passenger seat.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Does anyone every just call him "Jerry Buss"? It's always "Dr. Jerry Buss". Like "Dr. Jack Ramsay".

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I used the "dr.' there as a joke. It's like "slain tejano star Selena," or back in the mid-90s, "war-torn Bosnia."

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

So Don Nelson kept Baron Davis, who had a shocking first quarter, on the bench for the whole second half in a game the Warriors had to win to make the playoffs.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Boston - Atlanta 4-1
                Detroit - Philadelphia 4-1
                Orlando - Toronto 4-3
                Cleveland - Washington 4-2

LAL - Denver 4-1
                New Orleans - Dallas 3-4
                San Antonio - Phoenix 4-0
                Houston - Utah 1-4

And my beloved Celtics for the title, of course.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Boston - Atlanta 4-0
                  Detroit - Philadelphia 4-1
                  Orlando - Toronto 4-3
                  Cleveland - Washington 3-4

LAL - Denver 4-1
                  New Orleans - Dallas 4-2
                  San Antonio - Phoenix 2-4
                  Houston - Utah 1-4

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Boston - Atlanta 4-0
                    Detroit - Philadelphia 4-2
                    Orlando - Toronto 4-2
                    Cleveland - Washington 4-1

LAL - Denver 4-1
                    New Orleans - Dallas 3-4
                    San Antonio - Phoenix 4-3
                    Houston - Utah 1-4

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Boston - Atlanta 4-0
                      Detroit - Philadelphia 4-0
                      Orlando - Toronto 4-2
                      Cleveland - Washington 2-4

LAL - Denver 4-1
                      New Orleans - Dallas 4-2
                      San Antonio - Phoenix 4-3
                      Houston - Utah 1-4

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I only caught the last 5 minutes of regulation and the 2 overtimes of the Suns/Spurs game 1, but wow, it was fantastic. Duncan hitting his first three-pointer of the year to tie the game with 3 seconds left at the end of the first OT was one of the more impressive clutch shots I've seen recently in the NBA.

Also, I hadn't seen the Suns play since the first game after the Shaq trade. They look much better now, and, even though Shaq is old and slow and Stoudamire is dire on defense, the combination can be fairly impressive as it frees Stoudamire up to be even more of an offensive force. Great game. Looks like it might be a great series.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

After so many pretenders after so many years, is Chris Paul truly the new Isaiah ? This is some game against the Mavs.

I hope the Suns get their revenge, and I hope a whole lot of other things but no one really cares about other people's hopes unless they have a direct implication on their own.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

And for another thought-provoking and intriguing question, is this the most brilliant, most idiotic, or most brilliant and idiotic shirt of all-time ? (courtesy of adidas originals)

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I hate the shirt aesthetically, but think it somehow brilliantly encapsulates the (deserved) arrogance of the Lakers.

It also alludes nicely to the image of one of the great Lakers as the NBA logo.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I missed all but the last two minutes, but am shocked that the Sixers managed to get one game from the Pistons, let alone the first. Though I expect it will be the last game they win, it was a good one to get.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

It's like John Baldessari designed that shirt.

The Nuggets would be scary if they didn't self-destruct all the time--AI getting ejected in game 1, Smith and AI each picking up technicals last night just when the Nuggets had the lead in reach and the Lakers had gone cold.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Remember when these playoffs looked like they were going to be awesome? I am still holding out hope, but they've been pretty lame outside of the first day.

The one revelation for me have been the Lakers. I hate the Lakers. Or more accurately, I hate Kobe Bryant and I hate "Laker fans" (by which I mean the celebs and rich people who show up during the playoffs, not people like Inca). But damn, that team is fun to watch. I forgot how brilliant Lamar Odom can be.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Kobe was really annoying in Game 2 with all of his celebrations--most wank was the finger/guns one.

The Laker flags are back--back at the beginning of the decade, the three-peat years, Laker flags would appear on cars during the playoffs. After Shaq left, even though the team would make the playoffs, the flags never showed up--like people only put them up when we had a chance, or enough excitement to attract the fans that only care when we win a championship. And now those annoying fans are back, and so are the flags.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Yeah, as God-gifted as Kobe is on the basketball court, I think his greatest talent is being able to seem like an asshole at all times. It really doesn't matter what the guy does. If he's silent, he seems like he's trying to be too cool; if he runs his mouth something stupid comes out; if he tries to be nice, he seems smarmy. It's really kind of amazing.

His little gun show was completely contrived, as was the ridiculous quote about not shaking the tree because a leopard might fall out. Stunning player, though.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

I've actually enjoyed what I've seen of the playoffs so far. I hadn't seen NO play all season, and they're great and fun to watch. This is also the most I've enjoyed a Utah team in memory, and, of course, the first game of the Sixers/Pistons series was memorable given my preferences (the second game less so).

The real disappointment has been the Cavs/Wizards series, which hasn't had an enjoyable to watch game for neutrals.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Wanna finish that thought?

Last night (especially Houston's victory) restored some of the lustre to the playoffs, and the talent on display is, I think, unparalleled in NBA history. However, I expected some much closer games/series.

The first Washington-Cavs game may have been a little tough on the eyes, but the intensity was incredible.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Wanna finish that thought?
                                              I would, but have no idea what I was going to say. It's fixed, though.

This weekend will be interesting, as we'll get to see whether the changes in venue make some series closer. This happened with Hou/Utah (although, perversely, given that road teams have won all the games).

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

Jason Maxiell of the Pistons would not be out of place next to Laimbeer and Mahorn. He's now elbowed one guy in the head and gave someone else a bloody nose so far in this game.

And he just stuck his leg out to trip Dalembert. Finally, a new NBA hate figure. I've gotten bored with only having Kobe to despise.

Edited to add: Wow, I really didn't expect the Sixers to win another game v. the Pistons, let alone win by 20.

Comment

NBA Playoffs 2008

When you see the Mavs, it's hard to believe that New Orleans can win one game against them. NOLA always looks so small, like they can't get it in to any big man...but once the Hornets get running there's no way the Mavs can keep up.

So tonight they slowed it down, cranked up the D at home, and got hot down the stretch. Byron Scott has to figure out how to win a slowed-down game.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X