The cricket season run-in thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's cold, dark and autumnal - perfect cricket weather, and almost anyone can win anything in the County Championship. Apart from Surrey who, amusingly, are almost certainly down.

So who do we want to win it? A first title for Somerset would be nice, I reckon.

Your darn tooting it would be nice!

Trescothick does his bit by getting out to Hoggard first ball of the match.

I read a quote from Langer today saying they know that if they win one of their two games they'll win the championship... I know two of the contenders are playing each other in one game, but still can't see how he works this out. Anyone help me?

Comment

Definitely Somerset.

Warwickshire to go up.

Comment

How about two Yorkshire victories with maximum points and every other game rained off? It'd suit me...

Comment

Well play's been abandoned for the day at Durham already. Great fixture scheduling, all this.

Comment

There's no rain for the next 10 days or so down here after today.

I'm desperately hoping that's true, on friday somehow despite only starting playing cricket myself this season, I'm playing in a one day match at Somersets County Ground!

I imagine the England selectors will see me and a late call to the Stanford Series will follow.

Comment

After a frankly miserable season of disappointment, I fully expect Kent to come second. Despite having Lancashire by the balls at Liverpool (they're 67/7 at the mo) I think we're just too far off the top to be realistic contenders. Second, though, is perfectly possible.

Comment

160/3 at Tea, I reckon that's parish, maybe 60/40 in Somersets favour.

Really got to be focused on getting to 400... so maybe it's the other way round 40/60...

Anyone willing to explain Langers theory that one win wraps it up for Somerset?

Comment

I would prefer to see Somerset or Durham win a first championship, especially Somerset who have waited longer and because my club Sussex have to play Durham. And because I am a Sussex man and don't like Hampshire.

I haven't given up on Sussex winning it with a barnstorming finish, and I am sure Grizzly and the boys haven't given up either, though I'd settle for staying up!

It really is a very competitive league and the sport is better for it. I hope rain doesn't ruin it all, Durham Sussex has already been rained off for the day. I see Lancs are in dire straits vs Kent 81-8 at tea on day 1.

Surrey down and perhaps Lancs or yorks with them. Not for the first time in recent years for any of them.

Comment

I guess he's assuming most matches will be rained off, so a single win could be enough for Somerset, who lead the race (I'm ignoring Hampshire as they're played one more match).

Currently:

Somerset 159
                    Durham 157
                    Notts 157
                    Kent 149

Notts and Kent a wicket from a further bowling point; Somerset 40 runs from their first batting point.

Comment

Have you guys actually internalised the points system to the point where you can figure that kind of thing out in your head?

It has always struck me as impossibly complicated, but then I didn't grow up with the sport.

Comment

Growing up with the sport is no advantage, they change the points system most years. I need to have a good look at the table to work out what's going on.

Comment

"I reckon that's parish". It took me a while to realise that barndoorio was saying that was around par, rather than employing some new yoof speak that employed clerical terms as a form of approbation. "That's well cathedral, mate."

Comment

I had the same problem, but never got as far as you did, figuring it was some cider-soaked term of art.

So where are we?
                            No play at Chester-le-Street, bad light at Scarborough with Kent 160 for 3, Kent destroying Lancashire, and Surrey 217/7 against Notts.

Which means?

Comment

Great thread.

Did anyone see Murray Goodwin's innings on Sunday? It was one of the best one day innings I've ever seen- even allowing for the fact that the Notts attack wasn't like facing the West Indies in the early 80s at Perth.

Comment

You won't catch me drinking cider ursus. It was indeed meant to be par-ish.

I saw the Sussex v Notts game and couldn't believe they managed to turn it round, astonishing stuff from Goodwin, the following days sports news of course led with the excitement of Stoke v Everton rather than this once a decade piece of brilliance.

Comment

That was the best turnaround since Essex beat Lancs by 1 wicket in the 1992 Nat West Trophy, with John Childs slogging 3 fours off Mike Atherton's legspin at the end. E10 will be thinking we should have saved that one for Stay Beautiful.

I'm glad you thought Goodwin's knock was really special. After you've watched Sky a while, you lose your judgement about what the truly great stuff is.

Comment

Anyone willing to explain Langers theory that one win wraps it up for Somerset?
                                    It's either, a) what is commonly known amongst the cricket commumity as Australian mindgame bullshit, or b) the belief that because no team has won more than 5 games at present (a ridiculoulsy low total) any team is likely to win 2 in a row now.

Even allowing for Notts v Hants and Kent v Durham next week, losing teams getting no bonus points and the winners getting 3 or 4 (while Somerset get a 22 point win and max draw points), I can't get his theory to work.

It's just not possible. It could well be enough mind.

I desperately want Somerset to win this. It's the first summer I've not been to Taunton for years. It was where my dad and me went to bond and talk guff while watching the delightful rhythms of a county match. Cancelling his membership after he died was the hardest part of his passing.

I'm playing in a one day match at Somersets County Ground!
                                    Oooh, barndoorio, I envy you. The closest I've ever been is a knock around on the outfield during the intervals. Stopping that the ruination of my lunch intervals.

Comment

If my calculations are not hopelessly incorrect:

Somerset 160
                                      Notts 159
                                      Durham 157
                                      Kent 151

Comment

Blackwell is doing brilliantly for Somerset 120+ so far, though we're on the last wicket at 369, can they get 31 more runs to secure the crucial 5th bonus point...

Everyone else in the hunt looks to be doing well, maybe Durham at 143/4 are struggling the most particuarly as they lost a whole day of their match.

Kent look huge favourites to win their game, but they only got 1 bonus point for batting.

KOTR, was your scoreboard taken at close of play yesterday?

Comment

Somerset all out for 380 in the end so 4 points, vaughan gone already, yorks 29/1. Lancs putting up a bit of a fight in their game, notts well on top scores almost level with 8 wickets remaining.

I can't see much being decided this week, maybe Durham will be edged out of it though.

Comment

barndoorio wrote:
                                            vaughan gone already, yorks 29/1.
                                            Fucking useless Lancastrian Wednesday fan.

Comment

I was a bit mixed on Vaughan in this game, I really want him to return to form and be part of a succesful England side, but he just doesn't seem likely at the moment.

But I certainly could do with him waiting 1 more week before finding form.

Comment

Surrey's relegation confirmed. Yorks (or Lancs) following them would be highly amusing. The more arrogant Test-ground counties that go down the better.

And Warwickshire's batsmen are smashing any lingering hopes of promotion beyond our reach at Chelmsford

Comment

Up the Bears!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X