Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sports being played at their highest ever standard (and not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there a good chance that some old records (maybe before 1970 on distances, before 2010 on cricket ball speeds, before god knows when on fish weights) are going to be dodgy because the quality of the measurement itself is basically unreliable, like all those old temperature records? That 440 yard tracks may have been 435 or 445, say?

Comment

There's also the issue of hand timing.

Comment

Uruguay's record as smallest nation by population to win the FIFA World Cup will be 92 years old by the time the next men's tournament rolls around, and it's hard to imagine it ever being beaten.

Just Fontaine's goalscoring in a single tournament record is probably safe, too. Back to and including 1978, the only male player to even get halfway there was Ronaldo in 2002, who got seven (FIFA say eight, but I continue to maintain one of his goals against Costa Rica was an OG).

That's all I've got.

Comment

Basketball.

Comment

Except in Westwood

*runs away*

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              There's also the issue of hand timing.
              Huhr huhr....

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Except in Westwood

*runs away*
                They're showing fight now, that's all we can ask for. The whole conference is in the toilet.

Comment

the sport of messing up a basketball court is definitely at the highest standard. I watched a bit of the Bruins - Oregon game and honestly thought I had a bad reception and my TV was digital-pixelating. Then I worked out it was an awful, pointless forest graphic on the court.

Apparently I am eight years late on even knowing this. What a long lasting dumb idea.

Comment

It would be hard to argue that heavyweight boxing is at its highest standard right now, although past heavyweights would have to overcome a massive weight differential.

Comment

Working...
                    X