No announcement yet.

The fast road out of the slums: F1 and Motorsport 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very early in the race still but problems for Sordo and Mikkelsen have presented Evans with an opportunity here.

Comment

Power on pole at Pete again. That's eight times in ten years. Newgarden is second then those electric blue Ganassis are together on row two with Rosenqvist laying down a marker by out-qualifying Dixon.

Comment

As a semi-regular visitor to St. Pete I love watching that race and spotting places I know (like Al Lang field, home of the Tampa Bay Rowdies). I'd like to time a visit to coincide with the race, but unfortunately it usually falls on Spring Break which is exactly when I don't want to be there, surrounded by pissed up students.

Comment

That's probably good for attendance but bad for everything else, since St Pete really is a pretty good circuit to start the season on. Yesterday's race wasn't great, but St Pete usually puts on a good show (last year's race for example...).

Comment

Caught up with last weekend's races now. The ePrix was a bit of a farce with Sam Bird physically nudging his way up to the front of the race before being denied the win because of a time penalty after his 'move' on Lotterer caused a puncture and the German's retirement from the race.

Quite enjoyed St Pete and Rosenqvist didn't disappoint. with a ballsy pass on Power after the yellow flag, braking very late on T1 with its notorious slippery white paint. A strong fourth place overall and he's already got Newgarden, Power and Dixon singing his praises.

Rally Mexico was brutal as always with its random rock attacks on the WRC drivers. Ogier of course serenely negotiated them (apart from one puncture on what ended up a nullified stage). Evans put in his best drive of the season for third with Tanak just getting by him on the final day. Neuville doesn't seem his usual calm collected self at the moment, and it's looking like it could be a two-horse race.

And then of course today the sad news that F1 race director Charlie Whiting has suddenly died from a blood clot in his lungs on the eve of the new season. As the video notes, they'll need several different people to fill those shoes.

​​​​​

Comment

On a lighter note, ​​I've just restarted the prediction game if anyone is interested. And here's a handy diagram of the local start times for Sunday (or Saturday night, if you're far enough west).

Comment

Oh, and I've watched the first episode of the Netflix F1 thing. It's great.

Comment

Heh, I see Alfa have just taken the halo straight off the Ferrari then.

Williams were miles behind in FP2. Not looking at all promising. McLaren and Racing Point struggling relatively too. Mercedes turned up the heat and were top of the pile today and the midfield battle looks interesting - Haas, Alfa and Renault looking the best of the rest so far. And Kvyat too.
                  Last edited by Kevin S; 15-03-2019, 11:53.

Comment

And at Sebring, it's the IMSA-WEC endurance double-header.

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1106408570990546945

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                      Oh, and I've watched the first episode of the Netflix F1 thing. It's great.
                      I've been watching that this week too, just a couple of episodes to go now and I've found it really interesting as well.

A decent chunk of my translation work is motorsport-related, working for the agencies that do all the media stuff for two big German car manufacturers, so over the last couple of years I've got back into watching and reading about motorsport, particularly DTM, WEC, WRC and IMSA. F1 is something I used to watch a lot when I was younger, as Dad was a big fan, and am enjoying getting back into that as well.

Comment

Think I'll be watching episode two tonight. Seeing Guenther Steiner's phone call to Gene Haas after last year's opening disaster was quite special and I don't think he'll have had a much easier time of it this year either. I guess the obvious line is that one retirement after a failed wheel change is better than two...

Good race, that, with a few ambitious but failed attempts on turn 3, and signs of a promising season. Yes, Mercedes clearly were far better than testing was suggesting but isn't that always the way? But Leclerc is the real deal, Max has got a car with an engine that can challenge more strongly, Bottas likes porridge and has got the hunger for wins this year (having Ocon as reserve driver probably sharpens the focus a little). Norris did himself proud and the battle for points behind the big three should be really interesting. Aside from Williams (oh no) and the big three, there doesn't seem to be too much to choose between the six teams.

Comment

Impressed with the qualifying performances of Albon and Norris, really put their team mates in the shade. Leclerc also mighty impressive, how long til we see Vettel get a cob on when he feels under pressure?

Comment

I wonder if Lando Norris' folks are Star Wars fans.

Comment

Afraid not Sits.
                              https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/tea...and-a-3199856/
                              Lastly, there’s something else we need to know about you. Where does your Christian name come from – Star Wars?
                              “No, definitely not! My parents say they just came up with it. But I do get asked that a lot…”

Meanwhile, could some rich sponsor please find the cash to get this guy back in the WRC?

Craig Breen comfortably wins the West Cork Rally in a Fiesta R5.

Comment

First round of the European Rally Championship soon to start. Looks like there's an official live stream at
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2N-j4FYVxw

One of our children's heroes will be in the ERC-3 (and ladies) classification - Catie Munnings, 21 years old and presenter of Catie's Amazing Machines on CBeebies.

Comment

The ERC website takes some getting used to but I've found that after 4 stages, Munnings is 14th out of 15 in ERC3 but it's still very tight. Apparently had an issue with her clutch.

Comment

SS5 took no prisoners. Lots of damage done to a number of cars - Munnings lost her front bumper (below), but finshed - there was one who lost a wheel, another double puncture and another one meaning she moves up to 11th (out of the 12 remaining ERC3 cars).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Catie Munnings, 21 years old and presenter of Catie's Amazing Machines on CBeebies.
                                      Crikey, I didn't know that.

Tomorrow, I'm off to this http://www.northweststages.co.uk/spe...here-to-watch/ - the first 'closed roads' rally in the North West. Exciting and groundbreaking stuff, although I'm not convinced that the experience for spectators will be brilliant as the organisers are quite limited in where they can provide access to safe viewing areas without inconsiderate dickheads parking all over minor roads or clambering through hedges and dry stone walls to get a better view.

Comment

How has it gone down with the locals? The Tendring one last spring caused a bit of a hoohah.

The theme for Catie's Amazing Machines, by the way, is by The Darkness.

Comment

Seems to be quite positive, so far. One stage has had to be shortened but I'm not aware that it's because of a PR issue with residents. It's a longstanding event that has run on private land in the Blackpool/Fleetwood area until now and the organisers have really gone out of their way to maximise the potential for local businesses to benefit from this one - including a big ceremonial start in Garstang town centre tonight with all sorts of stuff for the kids and non-rally locals to come down and enjoy, hopefully spending their money in the pub and shops while they're there.

Tendring ended up being really well received last year from what I've read, despite an aggressive campaign against it by a local in the lead up.

Comment

Guess who is going to be testing with Ferrari (and Alfa) next month?

Comment

Just watched the IndyCar race from Sunday. CoTA worked well and the series gets its youngest ever winner, as 18 year old rookie Colton Herta scored a fine victory. Another second generation driver there (his dad is a little older than Jos Verstappen and a little younger than Michael Schumacher) - quite a lot of these boys about at the moment!

Comment

I've been meaning to say something about that, Colton definitely had a less stressful run to Win 1 than his father did.

Comment

Spectacular.

And of course Laguna Seca's back this season... think of the #narrative...

P.S. don't forget to enter the F1 prediction game, folks.

Comment

I know I'll end up jinxing his whole weekend, but.... come on Elfyn! Two stage wins out of four, and he takes the race lead.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X