No announcement yet.

The 2019 tennis season begins....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward had the hotter intensity in his final set against Maverick. So that's 2/3 (Evans, Ward) in Q1 for the British men.

Comment

Swan went off in tears, in a wheelchair. But later reports suggest a back spasm, so not as bad as it looked initially.

Comment

Aussie Q2 results: Ward lost, Evans and Dart both won. Meanwhile in Auckland, wildcard Norrie has made it to the semis, having beaten Paire, Isner and Fritz.

Comment

I hope Janik will start a dedicated thread soon for the Aussie, but the main draws are now out, with details of qualifiers still to be filled in of course.

British women R1 draws:

Konta v Tomljanovic, who beat her this month in Brisbane
          Boulter v Makarova (a former top 10 player)
          Watson v Martic (the no.31 seed)

British men R1 draws:

Murray v Bautista Agut, no. 22 seed, who just became Doha champion, including a SF win over Djokovic. Oh dear.
          Norrie v Fritz, who he just beat in Auckland
          Edmund v Berdych

Also worth noting that if Norrie wins his R1 match he could face Monfils in R2 and his R3 opponent per seeding would be Federer.
          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 10-01-2019, 10:51.

Comment

In contrast to the bad news from Murray's press conference, it was an excellent night (UK time) for British tennis on the courts. Norrie has reached his first ATP final in Auckland (his oppo will be Sandgren) and both Dart and Evans won their Aussie Q3 matches so have made it to the main event. A particularly nice surprise for me in the case of Dart, who was losing 0-5 in the first set when I turned in last night, but won her match 1-6, 6-3. 6-1.

Comment

Dart has been drawn against Drugscheat in R1. Evans will face another qualifier -then probably Federer in R2 if he wins! And, assuming Evans can brush Federer aside, we could have an all-British R3 tie between Evans and Norrie.
              Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 11-01-2019, 08:50.

Comment

Buried in the media's tennis coverage amidst all the Murray tributes, but Norrie just lost his first ever ATP final to the nominatively deterministic and politically suspect Sandgren in straight sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                  I hope Janik will start a dedicated thread soon for the Aussie, but the main draws are now out, with details of qualifiers still to be filled in of course.

British women R1 draws:

Konta v Tomljanovic, who beat her this month in Brisbane
                  Boulter v Makarova (a former top 10 player)
                  Watson v Martic (the no.31 seed)

British men R1 draws:

Murray v Bautista Agut, no. 22 seed, who just became Doha champion, including a SF win over Djokovic. Oh dear.
                  Norrie v Fritz, who he just beat in Auckland
                  Edmund v Berdych

Also worth noting that if Norrie wins his R1 match he could face Monfils in R2 and his R3 opponent per seeding would be Federer.
                  I'll try. Amazing what a lack of readily available WiFi does to ones schedule. 100+ emails to check through and deal with those that need a response first. And that isn't my work account, either...

Comment

Normally i wait for a couple of rounds before i put a tenner on who i fancy to win a Grand Slam but this time i have decided to be bold and stick the money down pre-tournament.

10 on Aryna Sabalenka at 12/1
                    10 on Roger Federer at 4/1

I am expecting this to be a big year for Sabalenka and Federer looks to be in a happy place and he was playing sublime tennis in the Hopman Cup.

Comment

Working...
                    X