Tennis 2019 year end predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennis 2019 year end predictions

Enthusiasm for this predictathon seems to dwindle a little more each year, but I'm going to have a go anyway. Top 4 men's and women's singles rankings, as usual. I'm done with trying to devise scoring systems, and we don't really need one. Entries permitted until the start of the Aussie Open main draw, but for the warm glow of having really observed the spirit of the thing, get your entry in before 2019 starts. (Some of you got a bit of an unfair advantage by posting entries in 2018 after the early January injury news re Murray I think.)

My tips

1. Andy Murrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy
    2. Djokovic
    3. That German guy that can't understand Yorkshire accents.
    4. Nadal

and

1. Halep
    2. Osaka
    3. Svitolina
    4. Stephens

1. Djokovic
    2. Thiem
    3. Nadal
    4. Anderson

And

1. Osaka
    2. Svitolina
    3. Kerber
    4. Kvitova

Comment

1 Djokovic
      2 Zverev
      3 Nadal
      4 Thiem

1 Halep
      2 Svitolina
      3 Osaka
      4 Pliskova

Comment

1. Djokovic
        2. Federer
        3. Nadal
        4. Thiem

And

1. Halep
        2. Svitolina
        3. Kerber
        4. Osaka

Comment

I would love it if these Halep predictions came true but without Cahill it seems very unlikely. She's travelling to Australia with no coach at all (and given that her weakness is in the mind, that sounds like a recipe for failure)

Comment

1. Djokovic
            2. Zverev
            3. Federer
            4. Nadal

1. Sabalenka
            2. Svitolina
            3. Barty
            4. Halep

Gone a little "out-there" with the women's, but what the heck.

Comment

1. S. Williams
              2. Sabalenka
              3. Osaka
              4. Stephens

1. Djokovic
              2. Zverev
              3. Nadal
              4. Federer

Comment

Bumping this as we have reached the end of the WTA season and almost the end of the ATP.

No formal scoring, but a few observations:

- unless Medvedev has a poor ATP Finals and Thiem a great one, then Medvedev will be 4th at year end, which would mean nobody got all 4 men. But Satchmo got the top 3 in (a permutation of) the top 3 places and has an outside chance still of getting all 4.

- kudos to Jimski for being the only one to place the eventual WTA no.1 Barty anywhere in the top 4.

- my Murray tip shows the limitations of wishful thinking. Maybe next year....

Comment

Yeah, Barty and Sabalenka were my "out there" predictions. I guess one out of two ain't bad. (Sabalenka ended 2018 like a train, but seemed to wait for the end of 2019 to pick up any form again.)

Comment

After he beat Nadal at Barcelona and Djokovic in Paris, I thought Thiem was going to continue upward. He's not exactly fallen down a well since, but hasn't had the 2019 I'd expected. I remember backing him to win Roland Garros.

Comment

If Thiem beats Zverev in their ATP Finals semi tomorrow, fhen Satchmo will have named (in a permutation) the top 4 men.

Comment

Working...
                      X