No announcement yet.

Just Despair: Rugby League 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB to start with Blake Austin on the wing and second row Jack Hughes at centre. Injuries, poor form, low morale and a lack of trust in the coach have dogged this tour. I'll be getting up to watch this second test with very little hope. NZ by 20, realistically.

Comment

16 - 2 NZ ht.

Not great from GB. Very little pressure from the Lions, the only time they generated any field position they dropped the ball on first tackle after taking a close - in tap penalty. NZ sharper all over the park but no more so than at half back - the sixth tackle kicking of Johnson/Marshall at half back is measured and probing against the aimless high balls from Widdop. GB look demoralised already - Johnson went over far too easily for the second try.

This could get worse.

Comment

23 - 8 in the end.

GB did show some commendable commitment to the task in the second half but didn't have the nous at half back to take a real foothold in the game. All brawn and not enough brain. NZ won at a canter.

Comment

Serbia were only marginally better against Greece than Scotland, going down 82-6 meaning Greece qualify for the World Cup. As noted previously the internationally-recognised governing body for Greek RL is not recognised in Greece, which is why they play their home games in London, so it will be a story if nothing else (and may hopefully lead to the impasse being resolved).

USA play the Cook Islands in Jacksonville at the weekend to decide the final qualifying spot.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            I see that the showpiece of California RL is the San Francisco Savage hosting the Los Angeles Mongrel

Oh dear
            Unnecessarily aggressive nicknames.

From 1999-2016 my team were known as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, more normally referred to as the Wakefield Wildcats on TV and in the papers. It broke my heart. Fortunately, a new owner changed us back to Wakefield Trinity, which had been a good enough name to use since 1873 (as we were formed as the muscular christianity sporting arm of a church).

The culmination of this nonsense was when Halifax became the Halifax Blue Sox.

I'm looking forward to a trip over to Toronto next September though...

Comment

It's both puerile and unbecoming but if anyone started a "Bennett Out" chant I think I'd join in.

Comment

The Cook Islands complete the line up for 2021, beating the USA in Jacksonville.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post

Unnecessarily aggressive nicknames.

From 1999-2016 my team were known as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, more normally referred to as the Wakefield Wildcats on TV and in the papers. It broke my heart. Fortunately, a new owner changed us back to Wakefield Trinity, which had been a good enough name to use since 1873 (as we were formed as the muscular christianity sporting arm of a church).

The culmination of this nonsense was when Halifax became the Halifax Blue Sox.

I'm looking forward to a trip over to Toronto next September though...
                  Some years ago, I was involved in setting up a new club.

We were nicknamed the "Black Swans", after for pub sponsoring us and because the macho part was supplied by the "rugby league club" part of our name.

Comment

Working...
                  X