No announcement yet.

Just Despair: Rugby League 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But isn’t this like, in the NFL, telling the offensive team that it’s 3rd down and then, after they fail to get a first down, tell them “oh sorry, that was fourth down. You’ve turned it over on downs.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

The numerous online RL sites and fans' pages which act as a platform for supporters' voice and opinion.

As with WFD I'm personally okay with the Toronto project but accept that I appear to be in the monority.
      Strange that the Crusaders project in Wales never really gained any traction.

Comment

Tim Sheens in at Widnes Vikings.

Can hardly believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          But isn’t this like, in the NFL, telling the offensive team that it’s 3rd down and then, after they fail to get a first down, tell them “oh sorry, that was fourth down. You’ve turned it over on downs.”
          Roughly. I guess more specifically like a team on 3rd down making first down and then during the next play the officials deciding "oh that last one wasn't really a first down which makes this 4th down".

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Roughly. I guess more specifically like a team on 3rd down making first down and then during the next play the officials deciding "oh that last one wasn't really a first down which makes this 4th down".
            But it was too late for them to “punt,” which they would have if they knew what tackle it really was, is that right? Is there no way to pause the game to straighten these things out?

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 12-10-2019, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

But it was too late for them to “punt,” which they would have if they knew what tackle it really was, is that right? Is there no way to pause the game to straighten these things out?
              Yes it was too late to kick, by the time they realised the player had been tackled and the game carried on. The ref could have paused it but they were just following his (revised) decision so he didn't have reason to. So there were three different angles - whether the right decision was another set or a turnover, whether he was right to change his mind having initially decided another, and whether he communicated it sufficiently. I still haven't seen footage so dont know how close he was to the action but this is one of the reasons they introduced the two-ref system (so that the refs could keep up with play and each focus on one side of play).
              Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 12-10-2019, 15:58.

Comment

If I want Salford to win tonight, will this help the Class Of 92 in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  If I want Salford to win tonight, will this help the Class Of 92 in any way?
                  No, but academic anyway.

Comment

Ah well. Pity it hides on Sky.

Comment

Into the international season proper now (after the 9s World Cup last week which looked fun but a bit of a non event).

Australia v New Zealand is on the FTA Sky Sports Channel tomorrow.

The four GB Lions tour games are on BBC over the next four weekends, at godforsaken times.

And Saturday the final European qualifying stage for the 2021 World Cup kicks off, and I'll be attending Scotland v Serbia at what I think is a polis sports ground in Glasgow. This will be the third venue at which I've seen a Scotland home game, and one of the other two was in England.

Comment

Scotland v Serbia was a non event, 84-0 to the hosts. Serbia were actually quite competent with the ball in hand, and had a decent spell in the first half where they forced three repeat sets in Scotland's 20, but they were abysmal in defence and Scotland went through them like a knife through butter - Scotland were four or five tries up by the time Serbia touched the ball (apart from kick offs). Serbia took out their frustration in the obvious way and had three yellow cards, being down to 11 at one point (although Scotland went down to 12 at the same time, as a result of the same stramash). However, Serbia only need to beat Greece to qualify for the World Cup, and I'm not sure how good that is going to be for the game - the funding that results might be enough to bring over more 'heritage' players from Australia to shore them up but putting them up against a top tier nation isn't going to be pretty.

In the other group Ireland won 42-8 in Spain to pretty much guarantee their place in the World Cup - Spain kept it to 8-18 with twelve minutes to go but reportedly, as with the above game, discipline left the building towards the end and Ireland score four late tries.

I've got the GB game recorded to watch - I know the score, but don't know how bad they were.

Elsewhere it looks like Saints are playing Salford in a pre season friendly in Valencia, and there is talk of one of Toronto's on the road "home" games next year talking place in Holland.

Comment

Scotland qualify for the World Cup, beating Greece 42-24 in London. Sounded feisty, but Greece had then at 24-24 going into the final quarter or so.

Comment

Sign of the times: it's a triple header at Eden Park, because without the Tongans there wouldn't be a crowd. NZ v GB is more like the undercard.

Comment

And Tonga do their billing justice, beating Australia in a shock result - first time Australia have been beaten by a 'second tier' national team.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                And Tonga do their billing justice, beating Australia in a shock result - first time Australia have been beaten by a 'second tier' national team.
                                First time they’ve lost to somebody besides NZ or GB (and England, I assume) since France in 1978.

Comment

Tonga have now beaten Australia (2019), Great Britain (2019), New Zealand (2017 WC), and run England very, very close (2017 WC).

As pointed out on Twitter, they should really have Tier 1 status.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

First time they’ve lost to somebody besides NZ or GB (and England, I assume) since France in 1978.
                                    They also lost to Widnes on their 1978 British tour - the last time a Kangaroo team lost to a club side.

Comment

The GB tour of 1946.

Comment

Next year's Ashes series has been confirmed

31 October at Bolton
                                        7 November at Elland Road
                                        14 November at Tottenham

At least they have aimed reasonably high - they could have gone for a bigger venue in the North West but there will be club games as well which will take up some demand. Hopefully they've got a good deal at Tottenham, who will be keen to get events in the new stadium.

Comment

Thanks for this.

Comment

That's a great read. Thanks GO

Comment

A couple of days late with this I know, but Sonny Bill Williams is back in League next year with Toronto Wolfpack. Meanwhile Toronto have confirmed their 'on the road' home games next year as taking place at York, Headingley and Saracens' ground. Not hugely ambitious but nice touch for York to get a game, reflecting their recent success and improved profile.

Elsewhere the launch game for California RL takes place in December. Not sure where it is heading but they are certainly very active on Twitter and have merch available online, which puts them above a lot of the rest of the League world.

Comment

Eddie Waring mentioned in it. Has anyone else here read "Being Eddie Waring" by Tony Hannan? I thought it captured pretty well the singular character of the man, while not hanging back from the criticism of the way he made RL through his commentaries into something of a caricature of that whole working class northern England thing in general. The book is especially good at his eventual decline into dementia.

Comment

SBW has really become the Chis Gayle of the oval ball

It will be interesting to see how much his arrival resonates outside of the usual suspects in North America.

Comment

I see that the showpiece of California RL is the San Francisco Savage hosting the Los Angeles Mongrel

Oh dear

Comment

Working...
                                                    X