No announcement yet.

Just Despair: Rugby League 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York currently play on a pier (yes, literally). They also lack clear IP rights to their name, which was previously used by the baseball team in The Natural and continues to have a lucrative line of merchandise. I expect that these are among the "issues" that need to be sorted.

Comment

I've seen them there - it was the final of the AMNRL, against Jacksonville. Standing on a touchline watching the match with Manhattan skyscrapers as a backdrop was one of the more surreal and unexpected RL-watching experiences I've had over the years.

Comment

How often does a ball get wellied into the river? Or at least onto those cars?

Comment

I imagine it would have been.

As the photo indicates, the structure is primarily used for parking, though the field is also used by a ton of amateur organisations, including the Greenwich Village Little League and local high schools. There's also a trapeze artist training facility.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            How often does a ball get wellied into the river? Or at least onto those cars?
            Can't remember it being an issue, amateur RL players don't tend to kick very far at the best of times. Think the parking lots only look like that on weekdays, can't remember it being busy on the Saturday night that we were there.

Comment

Yes.

Most of the interior of the structure is also dedicated to parking, so the outdoor spaces on the roof are generally only taken when it is near capacity.

Comment

Where would they play in NYC?

Comment

They wouldn't, they are intending to play at the Red Bulls stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    How often does a ball get wellied into the river?
                    Do they have a man with a coracle?

Comment

That's a West Coast thing

Comment

Origin game 1 kicks off in an hour.

Comment

QLD getting in promising positions but not over the line. Half time, 8-0 to the blues.

Comment

Woohoo. Come on Maroons (pronounced maroons, not marones)

Comment

Helluva second half performance, that.

Comment

Just back from the Trailfinders Sports Ground, where London Broncos snatched a golden point win against Saints. The league leaders were 12-0 up halfway through the first half, fell behind and drew level with London in the last seconds of regular time so it was quite an eventful game. The large St Helens contingent in the crowd got neither an afternoon in the sun nor a processional win, so may feel disgruntled with their day out. Luckily they have a rematch at the same venue on July 21 to look forward to, courtesy of Super League's weird and wonderful fixture scheduling.

London's average crowd is apparently 2,400. Looking around the ground today, away supporters must be doing a lot of the work to get them to that number.

Comment

Meanwhile the Toronto owner has fired himself for racism. Not quite sure how that works.

Comment

What the hell has happened in Perpignan?

Catalans v Wire ends in mass brawl on pitch.

Fights break out in stands between rival fans as chairs and glasses are thrown about?

Comment

I'm guessing that alcohol was involved

Comment

More gloom, Bradford Bulls are giving up on Odsal and groundsharing at Dewsbury next season.

Comment

I just scored a cheap resale ticket for Wembley next weekend. I went to six of Saints' seven CC wins in the 90s/00s with a good friend from the town but he can't make it this time so I had prevaricated a bit about going.

Hopefully they'll break with 2019's other London excursions and remember to pack the first team.

Comment

Twenty year old Batley player found dead in a hotel room a day after making his debut. Tragic news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49386279

Comment

Died of asphyxiation.

Batley Bulldogs scrum-half Archie Bruce died as a result of asphyxiation, a post-mortem examination has found.

Comment

I'm not superstitious but yesterday I came across my 2008 CCF ticket while sorting through some old papers. And then I saw this earlier this evening;

Like I said, I'm not superstitious. Is there a sports kit equivalent of pareidolia? Asking for a friend.

Comment

I'll be stunned if Wire get within 20 points of Saints today.

Comment

Remember Sheffield.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X