No announcement yet.

County Cricket, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No probs. Those two are both in Division Two and have won just one match from a combined twelve so far this season, so it's a long way to the summit for them.

Comment

End of the second session and Essex have started well. They're 57/1 so ahead by 142.

Comment

Essex finish the day on 164/6 with a lead of 249. Could be an interesting third day at Chelmsford.

Comment

Hoping for one of those days where Harmer comes out and adds 30 before taking wicket after wicket. Got to keep an eye on the weather, too.

Comment

Well the tail didn't add much at all. Essex were all out for 183 but Somerset have also struggled this morning, sitting at 64/4 at lunch. They need another 205 from those six remaining wickets.

Comment

Somerset get within 200 after a big six from Gregory, but they now have only four wickets in hand.

Comment

He hits three more consecutive sixes. Somerset lost another wicket in between these three and the previous one, mind you.

Only 173 more to win so he can do this in 29 hits.

Comment

Beard gets the dangerous Gregory through the gate and breaks the middle stump, which is being replaced.

Somerset down to the last two wickets, still 160 shy of the target.

Comment

It's all over. Beard again picking up the final wicket, sending the middle and off stumps flying. Essex comprehensively inflicting Somerset's first defeat of the season, bowling them out in 32.2 overs and winning by 151 runs.

Comment

Glamorgan back on top of Division 2, implausibly given the havoc that Anderson and Onions are wreaking for Lancashire, and given that we've been second best in almost every drawn game. Labuschagne has been brilliant.

Comment

He has been a rock. No doubt he's due a horrendous run of form but as things stand I'm bracing myself for the release of the 2020 fixture list.

Comment

Just seen that Kent have released Adam Riley. He was highly thought of about five years back - Graeme Swann thought he would be his long term replacement as England spinner rather than Moeen. Unfortunately it seems like another case of England's coaches fucking up a player.

"Adam has been with Kent for a long time," Kent director of cricket Paul Downton told BBC Radio Kent. "We remember back to 2014 when he had a great summer with Kent, was being talked about in the press as a future England spinner and won a place on the England Lions tour.
                          "Unfortunately, while on that tour working with the Lions coaches he tried to bowl a bit quicker and, in doing so, he lost his action.
                          "He's now spent nearly five years trying to find his way back to that kind of form. It's been a long, hard road for him and he's battled really hard.
                          "But I think we got to a point where we just realised it wasn't going to work from his point of view or our point of view."

Comment

whoa!

I'm going to Scarbados.

I'm off to see the

Comment

Surely scrapping the Sunday league was a bad idea? I know it meant cutting down travel and breaking up championship games but wouldn't the counties make more money from having regular one day games on dates people (other than the retired) can attend.

I mean, it's nice here in Brighton and attendance isn't terrible but surely they'd have more people if it wasn't just the first day.

Comment

Oh, are there still day/night championship games or have they given up on that?

Comment

I went to the first day of Lancashire v Durham. This was held at Sedbergh School, which became the 13th ground at which Lancashire hosted a first class game. There had been some controversy around this, partly due to the remoteness of the venue, but mostly because Sedbergh isn't in Lancashire - it's currently in Cumbria and historically part of (shudder) Yorkshire. It's certainly an attractive ground and coped well with a crowd of around 1500.

Not the the most exciting days play, with Lancashire slowly accumulating runs and every so often losing a wicket. At one point the run rate dropped to about two an over, but picked up in the evening session as Jones and Vilas added 87 for the fifth wicket. Durham's bowling attack didn't greatly impress in conditions that favoured them. It was overcast pretty much all day with a short shower sending the players off after about four overs, although only fr ten minutes and no overs were lost.

Comment

Sedbergh is very pretty.

Labuschagne scored another ton, and although d'Oliveira took 4 wickets to turn 293-2 into 354-6, Glamorgan look well placed against Worcestershire.

Comment

Sussex was lovely. I don't remember going to the ground when I was young so my recollections of the buildings around the ground must come from TV coverage.

Northants have some very short players.

As for the cricket, well, it wasn't amazing. When Northants went down to 99/6 just after lunch I thought Sussex would run through the tail and start on the chase but there were a series of 50 run stands for the 7th, 8th and 10th wickets that got them to 273. Sussex really weren't very attacking during this period (which lasted for the good part of two sessions) and seemed to just be waiting for wickets to come to them. While the Northants run rate was 3.13 for good parts of the day it was well below 2 and over.

Sussex had to face 7 overs at the end of the day and managed to lose 2 wickets for 7 runs to a very attacking field.

Ollie Robinson seems to be a bit of a dick, pointing one of his wickets back to the pavilion. Zaib did well for Northants, being part of two of the 50 partnerships and being the only Northants player to make 50.

I need to visit more grounds. I do like Sussex but the quarter of the ground taken up by corporate hospitality is a bit much, I think of the places I've visited in the past couple of years I'd rank them as follows.

Chelmsford
                                      Northampton
                                      Oval
                                      Brighton
                                      Lords
                                      (not including Beckenham as an outground)

Oh I was wondering, why is the range of colours that county caps come in so limited? Surrey wear brown, Somerset and Northants maroon (Northants must be a recent thing), everyone else blue?

Was it a thing in the past that all hats would be blue and it's a novely that they wear different colours?

Comment

There are some Green caps too - Notts, Leics and Worcs, I think.

Comment

Essex piling on the runs and the misery against Notts today. After two days they lead by 132 runs with 7 wickets remaining, so an innings victory is the obvious aim. Nick Browne is unbeaten on 163. The innings is 120 overs old now so the bonus points for the match can be confirmed as Essex = 6, Notts = 2.

Comment

Bopara is still in on 115 and Essex have 472 for 7. So with three wickets in hand the lead is now 259.

Apparently Jimmy Anderson has pulled up with an injury in Lancs' match.

Comment

Meanwhile, Somerset are 123 without loss; their lead over Hampshire rapidly approaching 200

Comment

Bopara caught by Broad on the boundary for 135. Essex declare on 519-9 with a lead of 306 runs.

Comment

Sussex are continuing how they started. 41/4 chasing 499 to win. Northants look well on for their first win of the season.

It looks like there will be quite a few draws this round. Lots of games still in the first innings.

Comment

Nott a good leave.

https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/status/1146058687229747200

Comment

Working...
                                                    X