No announcement yet.

County Cricket, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lovely time yesterday. It was a bit cold in the first session and in the final hour but the middle has some warming sun. As for the cricket, well Siddle, like last year when I saw Essex, is just a bit more than the other bowlers. On which note, ten Doeschate only managed 5 balls of his over while Jamie Porter has run up issues a couple of times with one ball taking four attempts.

Patel was very slow to get going for SUrrey but he played some lovely strokes once he got past 40 or so. Rory Burns' stance is, odd, he seems to have body parts all pointing in different angles.

I don't like the Oval, it being all card payments only is weird and it just doesn't feel as nice as other, smaller grounds. Havign said that I'm going to try and get there tomorrow and probably more through the summer as it's only a bus away. I was also annoyed that the Surrey Women play only rarely play at the Oval.

Can we start complaining about the 2020 County season in this thread? Or should I put gripes about the 50 overs competition in the same thread with the hundred?

Comment

I hope Levin enjoyed his time at The Oval. I was a guest of a Surrey member so sat in the pavilion shade freezing my nuts off for yesterdays morning session. After a lunch break at the nearby Fentimans Arms, we decided to decamp to the cheap seats in the sunshine for the rest of the day - much better. The wicket was benign and Surrey proceeded without much fuss to a decent score. Only Pope will have been disappointed to get out cheaply to a poor waft outside off stump. See they’ve progressed to 395 all out this morning, with the tail falling quickly.

Comment

I wonder about that every time I have been to the Oval or Lord's. The members' pavilions appear to have been purposely designed to shield their denizens from any heat or light produced by the fiery orb in the sky.

I wonder of the Lords dress code has anything to do with that.

Comment

Levin, yes, let's complain here. Unbelievable shite from the ECB today. How can you just kill off the 50 over competition?!

Comment

Surrey appear to have let one of their hospitality suites to a church.

Diddle looking dangerous and Patel out to a poor shot (Harmer). Still most likely a draw but Essex are attacking.

Comment

As for the one day stuff. Has 2020 eaten into 50 over attendances much? I was a bit surprised that teams are playing games at outgrounds. I may go to Beckenham next week to see Kent against Sussex.

Comment

Ah, Essex have eased up, 78 partnership and they've spread the field.

Comment

Yorkshire seemed to be sailing towards an innings victory with Hampshire on 59/8, but a 130 run partnership for the 9th wicket is proving very frustrating. If it starts raining in Southampton, they'll be kicking themselves

Comment

A wicket for ad hoc there. Great stuff.

Comment

woohoo!

Comment

And now all over. Yorkshire win by an innings and 44 rather than an innings and getting on for 200

Comment

Glamorgan Northants looks fun. Or not.

Comment

Essex's Lawrence has a horrific action. All up and down and limbs spinning contrary directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Who are Somerset going to finish second to this year?
                              Well, maybe this is the year when...

Comment

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Surrey have declared leaving Essex 19 overs to bat and a target of 272.

Unless it's just about Surrey having -1 to their over rate.

Comment

Yep. One over of spin. Stupid.

Comment

Why is 50 over one day cricket referred to as "A List"?

Comment

The ICC uses that for limited over competitions between 40 and 60 overs. As opposed to "first class" and "Twenty20"

Comment

Oooh, that's a good question. There isn't a List B is there? But I guess there isn't 2nd Class cricket either.

Comment

Hmmmm. But why not simply "one-day"? (as it used to be). Why A list? Does A stand for something? Is there a B list? Where did it come from?

Comment

There was a List B and even a List C:
                                            http://stats.acscricket.com/ListA/Detail.html
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 17-04-2019, 13:55.

Comment

Well, as Levin notes, there is no List B (though I had a vague memory of one)

I think that List A was originally created the mirror the "ODI" status for internationals, though it now seems to have absorbed ODIs as well.

Not all one day matches are included. Twenty20 matches never have been, nor have matches in competitions below the top level in Test countries.

I have no idea what they are going to do with the Hundred, should it ever come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                There was a List B and even a List C:
                                                http://stats.acscricket.com/ListA/Detail.html
                                                Thanks Kev, that piece basically answers my questions. I like that it originated with statisticians. I approve of that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  I have no idea what they are going to do with the Hundred, should it ever come to fruition.
                                                  Surely that would be List C...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Thanks Kev, that piece basically answers my questions. I like that it originated with statisticians. I approve of that sort of thing.
                                                    Me too, and I'm glad you asked because I had no idea either. And now I know that there is a quarterly cricket statistical journal too.
                                                    http://acscricket.com/?page_id=387

Comment

Working...
                                                    X