X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin S
    started a topic All roads lead to Harrogate: Pro cycling 2019

All roads lead to Harrogate: Pro cycling 2019

Grand Tour routes are out and/or coming out, and we're now officially going into 2019 preseason for the roadies of the northern hemisphere. Time for a new thread.

But so as not to lose the track calendar in the old one, here are some of the major events to come in the velodromes for 2018-19.

6 day events, not all of which are six days long:
    Berlin 23-29 Jan
    Copenhagen 31 Jan - 5 Feb
    Melbourne 7-9 Feb
    Manchester 22-24 Mar
    Brisbane 12-14 Apr

World Cup (series)
    Berlin 30 Nov - 2 Dec
    London 14-16 Dec
    Cambridge, NZ 18-20 Jan
    Hong Kong 25-27 Jan

British Championships
    Manchester 25-27 Jan

World Championships
    Pruszkow, Poland 27 Feb - 3 Mar

• longeared
    replied
    Felice Gimondi has died aged 76. He won the Tour de France in 1965 and until the other week was the youngest post-WW2 winner of the race. Surprisingly he never repeated that victory, partly because of the emergence of a certain E Merckx and partly as the Giro became a more significant annual target for him (in those days many of the Italian teams often bypassed the Tour entirely). He won the Giro three times, the Vuelta once and is one of only seven riders to have won all three Grand Tours. Won San Remo, Roubaix (I used to have a t-shirt of that victory) and Lombardia among his one day wins. He was also world road champion in 1973 and is synonymous with looking stylish on a Bianchi.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    Deceuninck, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Sam Bennett has won both stages at BinckBank so far. In the rain yesterday and the dry today, without much of a lead out either time.

I'm quite interested in where he ends up next season.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    The finish of the women's race was quite amusing, as Holland rode at the front of the peloton despite having Pieters in the three-woman break; they eventually stopped, and Pieters won the sprint.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Those are lovely

Viviani wins the European Road Race, so Cofidis will have at least one distinctive jersey next season

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    The annual Tour of Szeklerland is on at the moment, where I live (though I am not there). There are a really nice set of photos from today's 200km stage round the area I live here (the stage started and finished in Csikszereda) https://sportfotopress.zenfolio.com/p766078904

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Well, if it's anything like the picture at the top of this report or the ones further down of trees down on roads, it was a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Remco Evenepoel est le nouveau Eddy Merckx, Thierry.

The opening stage of the inaugural Women's Tour of Scotland was abandoned with approximately 40k remaining owing to wind and rain. Easy to say from 200 miles away but I hope they've done that because it was genuinely unrideable rather than the organisers and police panicking about conditions.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Evenepoel won the European Time Trial Championship yesterday

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Zakarin to CCC for two years.

I don't see Katusha surviving as a World Tour team.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Awful news - Lotto's Bjorg Lambrecht has died after a crash in the Tour of Poland.

Leave a comment:

• Me Old Flower
    replied
    Holmfirth's Gabz Cullaigh has signed a two-year contract with Movistar.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    Viviani wins the Surrey Shuffle after a crash takes out some of the field ("decimated" it, as the commentator has thrice mentioned, how he can tell so precisely I don't know). Earlier Luka Mezgec took stage 2 of the Tour de Pologne, impressively beating Gaviria and Ackermann.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Enjoyed seeing the commissaire telling David Millar off for his motorbike getting too close to the break in his opening link at the RideLondon Surrey Classic.

Caleb Ewan got dropped on the third ascent of Box Hill and doesn't have any team mates with him, so he's not going to win this.

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Astonishing lack of sympathy for those involved in the crash by Wild in the post-race interview. I understand she probably didn't want to say anything that might have been construed as an admission of responsibility but still, a few words of concern would not have gone amiss. Glad she was DQ'd.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Kirsten Wild crosses the line first in the Classique, but she switched line in the sprint and caused a huge crash behind her which kept on going right across the road. She may well get disqualified for that which would give Lorena Wiebes the win.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1147974877137244161

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Really? That's a shame, I was debating booking the Friday off specifically to see him in Donny to see him at the start of the under 23 race. Also see that last year's under 23 champion Marc Hirschi was on the podium today.

The Ride London Classique is just starting, on the BBC red button for those in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He's said that he will only race the Worlds in Men's Elite, because it wouldn't be fair to everyone in the U-23s for him to drop down after skipping that entire level.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    He's nineteen. Nineteen.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    [URL="https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1157678972395802624?s=21"]https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1157678972395802624[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Evenepoel with 40 seconds as he crests the final climb. This would be remarkable.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Lucy Kennedy of Mitchelton Scott wins the inaugural women's race in San Sebastián with a late attack, continuing the team's excellent season.

Alaphilippe abandons after 90 km in the men's race

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Been to the Sheffield Grand Prix this evening. Not won by Matt Bostock surprisingly, instead a four man break got away early and Ollie Wood took the victory.

The demise of domestic teams was quite clear - the space for team vehicles took up a considerably smaller footprint than previous years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X