No announcement yet.

All roads lead to Harrogate: Pro cycling 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just glad he wasn't more badly hurt. Crashing into things on a bike at 40mph is sometimes fatal.

With all good wishes to Froome, some of the Welsh contingent are presumably secretly pleased that the team will now be all about their bloke. To be honest I thought they should have been anyway, he did win it last year.

Comment

Frooxit.

It's a sign. Ditch INEOS.

Comment

I would be surprised if the team is all about Thomas and expect Bernal to go into the race with the same position that "G" had last year.

Comment

Sounds as if Froome's injuries are quite serious, reports are that he had eight hours surgery (with more not being ruled out) and experienced a major trauma. It'll be a long road back from here and I wonder if he might end up retiring (Set the conspiracy theories running!) as a consequence. He's got two young kids, he could just rest up and enjoy his life rather than spending months in an isolated hotel in Tenerife in the hope of winning a fifth Tour.

INEOS need to look at the design of their time trial bikes as a result of this - they have way too many crashes. Aside from Froome's incidents, Thomas came off in the Dauphine last year and had that twitch on a corner on the final time trial of the Tour. Someone's bike disintegrated in the Tirreno TTT a couple of years back. Even the other week Eddie Dunbar crashed on the descent in Verona on the final Giro stage. The thought arises that they've spent too long in the wind tunnel trying to find every scrap of speed and they've ended up sacrificing handling on machines that are difficult to control. Theory trumps practice, you might conclude.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            I'm just glad he wasn't more badly hurt. Crashing into things on a bike at 40mph is sometimes fatal.
            It often is. The difference in survival rate for pedestrians between being hit at 30mph and 40mph is massive. I'm assuming the same is true for smashing into something on a bike. From reports, it sounds like Froome was damn close to going that way.

Am I alone in finding the conspiracy talk about this on this thread very inappropriate?

Comment

No, you're not.

Comment

He's still unconscious apparently

Comment

You're right, Janik. I apologise. I was joking about it before knowing the extent of Froome's injuries.

I still maintain that it seems like a particularly stupid crash from what I've heard. Longeared raises another question - would you even use your TT bike for a recce ride like this? Because that also seems like a strange choice to me - but then I'm scared of TT bikes and anyone riding them as they're so damned twitchy.

Comment

In more promising news, Remco Evenepoel has won his first race as a pro, taking the second stage of the Belgium Tour (and the GC lead)

Comment

Cobo was doping? Well, colour me shocked. Now go after the other dubious Vuelta winner this decade.

Comment

Van Aert wins the sprint in Dauphiné, his second stage win in a row

Comment

This would move Froome up to 7 GTs, level with Coppi, Indurain and Contador.

But if we're sounding the HORN on anothER dubious winner then the Shark of Messina could go up to five, level, appropriately, with compatriots Bartali, Gimondi and Binda.

Comment

It would also mean Froome won a Grand Tour before Wiggins.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              He's still unconscious apparently
                              He's conscious now but still in intensive car. It really seems that he's got lucky on this one. Hitting a house wall at 40mph in a car would do some damage so on a bike I shudder to think.

At 35 I think he might retire or at least not look at grand tours anymore.

Comment

Fractured neck reportedly. Yeesh. He's a lucky man if he is without permanent physical injuries as a result of this.

Comment

The weather at the Dauphiné is atrocious and Dumoulin has abandoned

Comment

There is standing water 500 cm deep about 50 metres from what is supposed to be the finish line

Comment

500cm deep? That's nuts. Even if it was 5cm deep, that's too much for a sprint - it'd be grabbing the wheels and making every move ridiculously dangerous.

Comment

It was deeper than this earlier. They got rid of almost all of it, which was rather impressive.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1139907050006360064

Comment

And yes, I meant 50

I have a sticky 0 key . . .

Comment

Geraint Thomas down, and staying down at the Tour de Suisse.

He's conscious, but has a cut on his face.

Comment

Geraint Thomas has crashed in the Tour de Suisse. Sat in the road holding his collarbone...

Comment

Looks like his race is over, but they've just shown some footage of him putting a new top on, which suggests no broken bones.

Comment

I'd be somewhat concerned about concussion

Comment

Working...
                                                  X