Fake commentating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clarity, obvs

I remember a piece on Cricinfo where radio broadcasts about overseas cricket tours often used a commentator making things up off a telegraph feed: this piece http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/214571.html says they started in Australia for the Ashes during the 1930 English summer.

Comment

Remote commentaries from a studio are all the rage for football in the US at the moment, and I've come to expect that the commentary is being done from a studio in LA (Fox), Connecticut (ESPN) or Miami (BeIn/Univision) unless there is visual evidence to the contrary (I'm not aware of anyone faking that using a green screen yet, though I'm sure it has been considered).

Fox here famously covered a majority of the matches in the World Cup from a studio in LA.

The large majority of Eurosport's cycling commentary is done from a studio in Feltham.

Comment

Can't stand the fake crowd noise on the replay clips for the Match of the Day punditry.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Remote commentaries from a studio are all the rage for football in the US at the moment, and I've come to expect that the commentary is being done from a studio in LA (Fox), Connecticut (ESPN) or Miami (BeIn/Univision) unless there is visual evidence to the contrary (I'm not aware of anyone faking that using a green screen yet, though I'm sure it has been considered).

Fox here famously covered a majority of the matches in the World Cup from a studio in LA.

The large majority of Eurosport's cycling commentary is done from a studio in Feltham.
          The one thing that saved Fox's coverage for me was the balance in the sound between the announcers and the stadium noise. I don't watch BeIn all that often now, but back in the GolTV days, any Phil Schoen/Ray Hudson coverage that wasn't a Barcelona/Madrid derby had their voices way too far to the front of the sound mix, so you barely heard the stadium, and it was even more obvious that they were in a studio calling the game from a monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
            Can't stand the fake crowd noise on the replay clips for the Match of the Day punditry.
            Especially when it doesn't remotely synchronise with the slowed-down footage.

Comment

On the other hand, having an actual live announcer who is far behind what is going on is also maddening. The LA Dodgers' radio announcer, Charley Steiner, is always a few seconds behind what has happened, so you will listen to the game and then hear the reaction from the crowd, then it's two or three seconds before he says what just happened.

Comment

I think this was a Fox green screen (the Youtube uploader seems to think so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ixh5ap2Lk

Comment

I understand the need to commentate from some kind of studio for sports such as cycling, horse racing, motor sports etc. where one single vantage point is not nearly enough to take in by eyesight alone what's going on. And it's much easier to take in all the information which is pouring in, whether it be lap times, cyclists getting dropped and so on.

I haven't seen horse racing broadcasts in Britain for some time but I remember back in the day when for the Grand National, three or four commentators would be employed to call the race for the BBC ("and now we hand over to...in the Melling Road") with Peter O'Sullevan taking the anchor role. Where would he have been commentating from? There were obviously handicaps with this form of informing the viewers what was going on, but it had an immediacy lacking in many of today's commentaries.

Comment

I recently watched coverage of the 1970 FA Cup Final replay on YouTube. The BBC version (Kenneth Wolstenholme) seems legit, but there's also an ITV package with Brian Moore, and the teams come onto the pitch to crowd chants of "Here we go"/Souza March. I reckon that's added on, years later. It's not in the BBC coverage, and wasn't a "terrace tune" in 1970.

This trivial detail annoys me much more than it should. Next they'll have the crowd singing "Jerusalem" when Jim Laker takes his 19 wickets.

Comment

Have we done Murray Walker broadcasting from a cupboard in Maida Vale, claiming to be in the baking heat of Kayalami yet?

Comment

"Remotes" of that sort are all the rage now (see, e.g., a large portion of Eurosport's cycling coverage, which is done from cubicles near Heathrow, or BeIn's football coverage from Qatar or Miami).

US networks have had broadcasters call some or all of major international football tournaments "off monitors" in LA or Miami.

Comment

Lots of Spanish coverage is the same sort of remote stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                            I recently watched coverage of the 1970 FA Cup Final replay on YouTube. The BBC version (Kenneth Wolstenholme) seems legit, but there's also an ITV package with Brian Moore, and the teams come onto the pitch to crowd chants of "Here we go"/Souza March. I reckon that's added on, years later. It's not in the BBC coverage, and wasn't a "terrace tune" in 1970.
                            The opposite of this was one of those BBC 'Goals of the 70s' or whatever videos, which failed to edit the audio when a (I think) Leeds goal at Middlesbrough was met with a resounding and clear as a bell "you're gonna get your fucking heads kicked in" by the home crowd.

Comment

"Remotes" of that sort are all the rage now (see, e.g., a large portion of Eurosport's cycling coverage, which is done from cubicles near Heathrow, or BeIn's football coverage from Qatar or Miami).

US networks have had broadcasters call some or all of major international football tournaments "off monitors" in LA or Miami.
                              I'll be honest, the Tour de France coverage wouldn't bother me because they're in a cubicle at the finish line anyway and have Sir Bradley on the back of a motorbike to provide the local colour.

Comment

Working...
                              X