No announcement yet.

Williams not past his Sel-by date: Snooker 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The multiple red rule means that the you can (very) theoretically complete a total clearance worth 44 points or a 'maximum' worth 49.... either scenario would involve potting the 15 reds in one foul swoop though

Comment

Or a 'free ball maximum' worth 50, I suppose.

But it wouldn't be a foul swoop, as it's a legal shot if none of the other colours or the white go down with all those reds. ([pedant]The phrase I think you're after is 'one fell swoop' as in a bird of prey swooping down above moorland.[/pedant])

Comment

Ah feck, it's Virgo again.

Comment

Nice little article on the tournament from Colin Murray this morning by the way:
          https://www.metro.news/colin-murray-...-time/1397042/

Selby's comment that, at the Masters, "Every single match could be a final," rings particularly true.

Comment

Ah, another tussle over the final red, two frames running. Don't you just love a tussle over the final red?

Comment

Just to freak out ursus...

Trump is in imperious form and completely controls this contest. There's nothing his opponent can do. A second victory looks odds-on, perhaps more decisively than his last one.

Comment

We will gladly trade you.

We'll even throw in a large volume of fast food and some red snapbacks.

Comment

That was a treat today - the only disappointment was not getting a couple of extra frames. Selby wasn't at his best and Trump was good without having to be great. However, it was exactly the type of snooker I enjoy watching - tense and tactical - which was even more palpable in the arena than on TV. It's also not apparent, for obvious reasons, just how close the cameras get to the play so I came away with increased respect for the players' ability to focus. Good view, albeit could have done with a bit more legroom. Suspect we may have been caught on camera applauding Judd's century, but I'll have to check the highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                    Yes, it's fine and scores two points as both balls are 'on'. Potting two balls when going for a colour is a foul (unless the colour is a free ball standing in for a red - then you could pot that colour plus an actual red for two points).
                    Once all the reds are gone, can you pot a colour as a free (colour) ball and the actual colour you were snookered on, in the same shot?

Comment

Interestingly you can, but you don't get double credit for it as you do for reds.

(d) If a ball on is potted, after the cue-ball struck the nominated ball first, or simultaneously with a ball on, the ball on is scored and remains off the table.
                      (e) If both the nominated ball and a ball on are potted, only the ball on is scored unless it was a Red, when each ball potted is scored. The free ball is then spotted and the ball on remains off the table.

So (d) means that if you take the pink as a free ball in lieu of the blue, hit the pink (but don't pot it) and somehow pot the blue (perhaps using a pink into blue plant) then you get the five.
                      But (e) says that if you pot the pink and the blue, you still just score five, the blue stays off the table and the pink is spotted.

Comment

So if you're compiling a break, and you're on, say, the black, and you play a plant sending the black into a red hanging right over the pocket, potting the red but not potting the black, you continue with your break? Or not, because reds aren't balls on when you're on a colour?

Comment

(God knows why I'm asking about this; I was only aware of one snooker table actually available for public play in Buenos Aires, and I've recently been told the billiards bar it was in have got rid of it so they could fit another carom table in.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            So if you're compiling a break, and you're on, say, the black, and you play a plant sending the black into a red hanging right over the pocket, potting the red but not potting the black, you continue with your break? Or not, because reds aren't balls on when you're on a colour?
                            No, the reds aren't on. After you pot a red you can play for one and only one colour. When you are on reds you are on *all* the reds simultaneously.

A 'free ball' is a special case and comes about when your opponent plays a foul shot but leaves you snookered as a result - then you get to nominate another ball to stand in for the 'on' ball. So it can't come up in the middle of a break.

Edit - sorry for confusion, just realised I quoted those rules without mentioning that they are from the 'free ball' section.
                            Last edited by Kevin S; 18-01-2019, 20:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              That would be a foul

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                That was a treat today - the only disappointment was not getting a couple of extra frames. Selby wasn't at his best and Trump was good without having to be great. However, it was exactly the type of snooker I enjoy watching - tense and tactical - which was even more palpable in the arena than on TV. It's also not apparent, for obvious reasons, just how close the cameras get to the play so I came away with increased respect for the players' ability to focus. Good view, albeit could have done with a bit more legroom. Suspect we may have been caught on camera applauding Judd's century, but I'll have to check the highlights.
                                Glad you enjoyed it, I certainly did. In the analysts' box on the BBC it was clear that Davis enjoyed it more than Hendry did. Bit of a surprise to see Trump get the better of Selby with tactics and cue ball control. You get the feeling that the #1 ranking could be up for grabs by the end of the season.

Comment

In circumstances like that you can see how there's players who go to pieces when the TV cameras are present and close up, Ricky Walden is an obvious example of that. Jack Lisowski is showing signs that it's a problem for him too. Selby will almost certainly need to win at the Crucible to retain the #1 ranking at the end of the season incidentally - the rankings went over to a money list under Hearn and the absolutely enormous sum for winning the Worlds skews the very top. This is why Ronnie is still only #3 currently, as he's behind Selby and Williams who have world titles on their slate.

Robertson has just won his fifth consecutive frame against Hawkins, 5-2 up now. Rather a noisy Friday night crowd in.

Comment

Ding 4-0 down against Ronnie, then wins 3 in a row including a near 147. Tremendous stuff.

Comment

Entertaining attempt at the 147th 147 by Ding which culminated in a very thin cut on the final black, then having a horrible shot on the yellow which he missed by a mile and fluked into the middle pocket (which the telly cameras missed) and then couldn't cut the green in so ended on 122. He's made quite a turnaround in this match to drag it back to 4-3, though has already missed two clear chances in this eighth frame and Ronnie is back in again.

Comment

And Ronnie takes it 6-3. Good match and a nice moment at the end with Ding. It always makes me chuckle when Ronnie's being interviewed - I think of all sportsmen he manages to make questions seem daft with the way he shrugs them off.

Comment

Strange match tonight, Trump was brilliant for two frames, Robertson made a terrific total clearance of 127 in the fourth and the rest has been a right comedy of errors with both players repeatedly missing straightforward pots by a mile. Whoever gets to the final will have to up their game considerably or Ronnie will have them on toast. 4-3 Trump at present.

Comment

Yay, Trump wins and sets up the final I was hoping for. (Though I do really like Robertson of course, our local adopted snooker star.)

Comment

Final is underway, Judd compiling a neat break in this opening frame. A lot of Ronnie's finals in recent years have followed a similar pattern - a spell of parity and frame wins exchanged, then Ronnie turns up the engine and wins several frames on the spin, then there's a few more frames exchanged when he's broken the back of the match and it ends about 10-6 or 10-7. Although I also remember a few years since when Hawkins won the opening frame of this final and then didn't manage to add to it.

Comment

Dominating 4-0 for Trump at the interval, no-one saw that coming. Judd has played some good stuff, won the first couple of frames in one visit and won the other tighter frames. He's kept Ronnie away from the table and when Ronnie has had chances he's been missing them. His safety play has also been well below par which is often how Judd gets his opening chances. Crowd seems very subdued given the match's progress. Interval has probably come at the right time for Ronnie and the wrong time for Judd, we've seen other matches this week turn after the break.

Comment

Stretched to 6-1 now. Ronnie in trouble.

Comment

Trump has been excellent so far, better than his performance against Selby and certainly no sign of last night's nerves against Robertson. Now closing in on 7-1 after a long safety exchange.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X