• Show
Clear All

Boston Sports Radio is going to be lit

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/dvnjr/status/1098998724368494594?s=21[/URL]

https://twitter.com/dvnjr/status/109...368494594?s=21

Comment

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...titution-case/

Patriots owner Robert Kraft has been named as one of those involved in a prostitution sting in Florida, but he’s far from the only one involved, and he may not be the most famous person involved.

Adam Schefter said on ESPN that Kraft isn’t the most famous person — there’s someone else whose name hasn’t surfaced yet who’s better known than Kraft.

“I’m also told that Robert Kraft is not the biggest name involved down there in South Florida,” Schefter said.
        I wonder who hangs out in Florida, is connected with Robert Kraft, and would be an even bigger name than him?

Comment

Oh please oh please oh please oh please.....

Comment

I doubt anyone super famous would go to the seedy little massage parlor that have been shown in photos of the place under question, but I'm sure that someone really famous could have used their services in other ways.

It may just be Jerry Jones, though, or perhaps someone else connected to the Pats...

Comment

It is also Ur Patriots to leak a story like that to a stenographer like Schefter in order to take some heat off of their boss.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-02-2019, 19:11.

Comment

Dunno. That's not going to throw the dogs off the scent for long. I like the sound of '$6 billion man with hot girlfriend in $79 rub 'n tug scandal'.

Comment

I feel like this is that old joke:

What do you call one NFL owner in prison?

A good start.

Comment

Odell Beckham Jnr is traded to the Cleveland Browns for a few draft picks and some guy called Peppers.

Comment

They were three wins off the playoffs last time. Wonder if Beckham will get them over the line?

Comment

The Redskins have traded for Case Keenum which I'm not too negative about. It's no secret that with Alex Smith crocked for the season, and likely career ended, that they needed something and had no cap room to play with really. Colt McCoy, whilst adored by Jay Gruden, is made of glass so a move in this position was vital.

Keenum is a middle of the road QB and there is still talk of a trade for Josh Rosen or hoping for Kyler Murray in the draft.

Adrian Peterson has also signed on for two years. After a dreadful 2017 with the Saints and Cardinals he was a revelation fort the 'skins last year and I'm chuffed to bits he's staying.

Comment

Tom Dart has written a good piece on the demise of the Alliance of American Football and the likely afterlife of its betting technology.

Comment

It's amazing how minor pro football leagues just fail time after time, while indy baseball league seem to have endless lifespans.

College and the NFL obviously suck so much air out of the room, but the snarky baseball fan in me likes to think that most football fans don't really like football, they like pounding beers and wings with their bros and gambling.

Comment

I think there's actually quite a lot of truth to that, Flynnie. A fair number of baseball fans actually like baseball; the vast majority football fans like tribalism and like their team and their team alone.

Comment

Though there is also a "big event" audience for gridiron (primarily the Super Bowl, but increasingly also the BCS Championship and SEC Championshaip, at least regionally) that baseball has never really had. The kind of people who take private jets to the Masters or the Oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  I think there's actually quite a lot of truth to that, Flynnie. A fair number of baseball fans actually like baseball; the vast majority football fans like tribalism and like their team and their team alone.
                                  Whenever anyone says "football is a religion in [Pennsylvania, Texas, the US]" etc, they don't really know what they're talking about. The popularity of American football is very wide but not really that deep. I know lots and lots of people that always watch their favorite college and/or pro team, but don't really know that much about football. There are obsessives, of course, but they're a smaller percentage of the total fanbase than you'd find in sports that aren't as popular overall.

A lot of the interest in football is just "nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd." For most fans, the massiveness of it and the huge crowds are the attraction more than the football itself. But it's hard to build up a critical mass to create that kind of event and without all of that, it just feels like there's nothing really at stake, and when it feels like there's nothing at stake - of course, that's really always the case - football is just incredibly boring.

And running a football league is just very expensive. Huge rosters, big stadiums, expensive insurance, lots of coaches and staff, etc. Arena Football has had more success, off and on, than any of the "real" leagues that have tried over the years, partly because its just cheaper to run. Of course, it's different than regular football, so it has a novelty factor.

It could sorta work if the NFL and NFLPA would work with the minor league to put marginal NFL players or prospects on these teams and except some bottom line losses as a cost of developing players. That was the premise of NFL Europe in it's later incarnation, but it lost money and the NFL owners are pretty short-sighted so they killed it.

The failure of minor league football is a major reason why college players will never get paid a salary until they unionize and perhaps even if they do. If what fans really wanted was to see the best non NFL players play football, then these leagues would succeed. The fact that they never do shows that college football's appeal is at least as much about the "brands" of the teams as the players themselves. So the players don't really have any leverage.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 03-04-2019, 20:31.

Comment

Now I know when I'll be ending my NFL quasi-boycott, I suppose

Comment

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/granthpaulsen/status/1121119511938326528?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Another draft is upon us. And once more the Raiders are acting weird. Three first round picks and two of them look off-beat.

Comment

Unsurprisingly, Washington plump with a QB, selecting Dwayne Haskins. I don't follow college football so I can't comment on his abilities, but it looks like a season to write off this year in the hope of turning Haskins into a franchise QB.

Comment

Washington lucked out that the Giants have no clue what they’re doing and blew the #6 pick on the Duke QB who most scouts think probably won’t be that good and, even if he is, they could have got him in the second round and done something better with the #6 pick.

Comment

Working...
                                              X