No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Cricketer of All-Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flintoff's statistics don't stack up like Botham's but I preferred him as a player and, at his peak, he was his equal. What's also often overlooked about Freddie is how clever and economical a one-day bowler he was - Botham bowled more loose deliveries (though a remarkable number of them were wicket-taking ones)

Comment

Talking of which, why hasn't someone on YouTube done that "Sarah Taylor catches, stumpings and run-outs" highlights reel? It'd be sensational.

Comment

E10, god yeah. I remember in that series of 2009, when England needed I think five more wickets in a day, and he started with figures of something like seven overs, two maidens, seven runs, two wickets. The kind of figures you dream of as a captain. That might have been the day he told Strauss "I'll take this end and keep on bowling till they're all out". What a hero. He, er, retired from those knee problems very shortly after.

btw, hope to see you fit and firing on the Guardian OBOs sometime future-wise – always love your take on Indian cricket.
        Last edited by diggedy derek; 09-08-2018, 09:29.

Comment

E10, I totally agree about Viv being the most charismatic sportsman of all-time but how do his stats stack up versus Bradman, Sobers (as a batsman) or Tendulkar? I think Lara had a few more shots (on the offside) and obviously had those long innings. Viv a bit unorthodox, playing across the line, relying on an amazing eye that failed him a bit later.

Comment

Ah yeah but this isn't a "stats stacking up" discussion. I don't think anyone could seize an innings, a game, a series even, like Viv could. Lara had more grace, Sobers better stats etc etc, but Richards always seemed to stand for more than just the game he was playing in.

Comment

Exactly

Comment

I agree. He gave the whole team its swagger and intimidated the opposition bowlers more than an any batsman the game has seen. The other Windies batsmen could then also cash in against a demoralized attack. He also scored more quickly than any other top-four batsman of that era so gave his bowlers time to bowl out the opposition, as at The Oval in 1976 or Antigua in 1986.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-08-2018, 12:55.

Comment

Shaun Pollock. Was always fun when he batted and was on a roll, because he'd play strokes that were very clearly taught to him by his uncle.

Comment

Working...
                  X