• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’s planning to give Tiger a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      He’s planning to give Tiger a medal.
      Not only a medal but - in a way entirely symbolic of the Trump presidency - one the POTUS appears to have made up completely on the spot.

Comment

Not sure what you have read, but the Presidential Medal of Freedom is a very real thing.

Comment

He gave one to Roger Staubach. Margaret Thatcher has one. I suppose Tiger Woods is just as deserving as them.

More than a few - though not as many as might be hoped - are refusing to accept White House invitations. I doubt Tiger would refuse.
          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-04-2019, 02:18.

Comment

Marina Hyde on Tiger's victory:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...P=share_btn_tw

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Not sure what you have read, but the Presidential Medal of Freedom is a very real thing.
              Ah, good. I was a bit giddy last night when I posted that, it just tickled my fancy that it's a Trumpy thing to do to make up medals and hand them out to people like a proper tinpot dictator. I'd never heard of it.

Comment

By coincidence, i was looking at a list of old Onion headlines, and a great one from back in the day was "Augusta National Honors Tiger Woods With Own Drinking Fountain", which ties in with one of the themes in Marina Hyde's piece linked in my post above.

Comment

Yeah, Augusta National ought to be seen as a huge embarrassment for golf, rather than the permanent host of its flagship event.*

*It certainly feels like The Masters is the biggest of the majors, but I don’t really follow it anymore, and perhaps fans outside the US don’t see it that way.

Likewise, I always got the impression that Wimbledon is first among equals in the tennis grad slam, but that could be an illusion.

Comment

The Masters is the biggest Golf major, at least from my perspective. Wimbledon (and Augusta) are both sure theirs is the biggest event of the bunch and both are probably right. Wimbledon, unlike Augusta, does have a deeper history than it's peers.

Comment

I always thought The Open was the biggest golf major

Comment

Working...
                      X