No announcement yet.

Georgia On My Mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, God. Now we’ll never hear the end of how amazing he is. FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
      Molinari spent most of the back nine looking haunted. I reckon he’ll struggle to sleep for the rest of the month.
      That's what he always looks like. He'll be back.

Comment

It was a great afternoon's watching, although it did feel different transplanted from the late Sunday night "hurry up and finish I've got work in the morning" slot.

I had a small e/w wager on my boy Molinari, so was a tad disappointed when he found the water, twice, but fair play to Tiger keeping his nerve, even afterwards when the CBS dude was desperate for him to cry. "Tiger here's a montage of you hugging your dead Dad and then you hugging your kids, what do you think?"

Liked the look of Cantlay and Schauffele for future tournaments.

Comment

I can’t recall a sporting event where all the media covering it where so blatantly rooting for a particular outcome.

The tyranny of the narrative.

Comment

You don't like Tiger much, do you?

Comment

I don't know what HP's opinion of Tiger is but you don't have to have negative feelings towards the player to object to the way his win has been presented, quite apart from the clunking cliche of comeback and redemption that's already been picked up on.

It panders to the idea that sport is all about Woods or Federer or Bolt or Ronaldo without any acknowledgement of the wider context of the disciplines those sportspeople compete in. On top of that we have all this "Golf is back" and "It's great for the brand/sponsors" crap we're already putting up with rather than any appreciation of the contest.

Aside from wishing Molinari could have held on (or that Poulter could somehow have made a surge) I don't really begrudge Tiger his win but it's not even the best Masters victory story of recent years, Sergio's was.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-04-2019, 11:16.

Comment

Poulter's putter let him down again - he missed at least three from inside ten feet. He just doesn't seem to do that in Ryder Cups.

Comment

I might be working in Tbilisi next month.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    You don't like Tiger much, do you?
                    There’s a lot of evidence he’s a Trumpist asshole, but mainly I object to the complete lack of even a pretense of objectivity by the sycophantic golf media and it’s braying frat boy fans.

Actually, I don’t even object to it so much as I just notice it and am reminded why I don’t care about golf and won’t be surprised if I soon stop caring about sports at all.

Comment

Tiger Woods is a strange one isn't he, seems an odd and hollow individual if that amazing longread about his military obsession is anything to go by. The only thing I really object to is what seems to be his affection for Trump.

It's still a pretty extraordinary comeback, though. It wasn't just that he had lost form, his body seemed entirely broken.

Comment

A meeting of American PGA Tour golfers in the world's top 50 who vote Democrat would be a small gathering. You could probably hold it in a golf cart.

Interesting to see how many of the usual suspects among the sponsors (Rolex, Gillette, etc) come back to Woods now. They all dropped him like a rock after the DUI.

Comment

Fixed link to piece that dd references

He is one weird dude, even by US golfer standards
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 15-04-2019, 17:52.

Comment

Of course

[URL]https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1117843954437767168?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              This is the piece that dd references

He is one weird dude, even by US golfer standards
                              That's a link to a tweet of Notre Dame in flames - presumably from a thread here on it.

Comment

Thanks, I'm a bit verklempt

Should be fixed now.

Comment

I hope for his kids’ sake, if nothing else, that he gets his shit together and if winning helps him do that, then that’s great. And Lindsay Vonn could stand him and she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, so that speaks well of his maturity.

But I just don’t get people who watch sports to “root for greatness.” Watching more skilled players is generally, although not always, more entertaining and attractive, but the whole “greatness” narrative feels very Nietchean in a bad Trumpist way.

Him winning is “good for golf” this week, but the sports’ inability to market anyone but him for the last 20 years isn’t helping it and this will just delay that even further.

And golf is not really in good shape overall.
                                  www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/00A3C636-2385-11E7-B7EA-DA0AA5C59671

As I’ve said before, one of the many reasons why it’s not attracting new players is because men with kids, even wealthy ones, are not as likely to just ponce off to the club with their buddies for a big chunk of their weekend like they would in the days of yore when that was more likely to be considered acceptable behavior.

Now maybe their wife will also play, but then who’s with the kids? You can try to bring them out, but now the whole thing is getting very expensive and not many kids would pick golf over Fortnite.

Comment

The bits of the final round I watched were just weird. People in the crowd doing pumped up chest bumps and screams looked more like tribal support for a sports team that you have a regional affiliation with than support for a highly skilled individual. I guess I just don't understand golf-ultra culture.

As for the death of golf thing, my experience suggests that it's very different between the two coasts of the US. Courses are often full here, even on weekdays. And the gender mix is getting better and better. It might not be 50:50, but it's probably 70:30. Courses are closing because of water costs, but not because of lack of demand. On the east coast, it seems that I can rock up at most courses and just get on to play, and they have to do all kinds of things to try and stay open.

The professionals do nothing to help make the game more fun to play. We were watching them and thinking - they slow everything down, they do all the fussy stupid stuff that annoys people. And then half the people on the course try and emulate the pros, spending forever debating between a pitching wedge and an approach wedge for a 3 yard difference. Yet these players are lucky to control the ball to within 25 yards of their intended target. They see the pros taking the pin out, even though it's unnecessary - so they do the same. Most importantly, we all see the pros playing 18 holes. For most people, going out for an after work 9 holes would make much more sense (and it's often much more fun and relaxing), yet there's a sort of shame in playing 9 holes.

Comment

Old rich people used to buy expensive golf clubs. Now they buy posh racing bikes.

Comment

No doubt the gender mix is getting better because it really couldn’t get any worse than what it was a generation or two ago when men’s only courses were still a thing.

A lot of courses that were built as part of housing developments were never viable on their own and some are just vanity projects of developers like Trump. So there was a bit of a bubble that needed to pop.

But golf courses are, at least in many places, terrible for the environment and take up a lot of space. In and around big cities, the land is too valuable for that.

Comment

Woods is indeed a strange fish, albeit an extremely focussed fish. As most of people on here, I expect, I utterly reject his Trumpism views though that said he's grown up (golf-wise) in an environment of extreme conservatism. And if I based my admiration of some of my favourite sports stars on the basis of their political views, i kind of suspect that you could count my favourite sports stars on the digits of one hand.

Despite what some of you feel about the overkill, the hyperbolic coverage in the media and the assumption by some uninformed commentators that Tiger is golf and golf is Tiger, his comeback win surely features among the most amazing of this or any other time, given the psychological and physical hurdles he had to battle through (and yes, some of these were of his own making; I'm not whitewashing his past). Fellow golfers have said that they are happy for him, there seems to be no animosity surrounding him and most people seem to be extremely happy that he won.

Certainly, every sports fan I know here were delighted that he pulled it off. So am I.

Comment

Tiger's win dominated the back pages of every English paper yesterday in a way that would normally only happen if a Brit (or Rory) had won. If Koepka had beaten Woods into 2nd place it would have been reported about 5 pages from the back - even though a win for Koepka would have made him only the fourth player in history to hold three majors at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              No doubt the gender mix is getting better because it really couldn’t get any worse than what it was a generation or two ago when men’s only courses were still a thing.
                                              I was struck by seeing an entirely white crowd.

Comment

I'm not delighted. I think he's a prick. Fist pumping, self aggrandising, right wing prick.

And worse than Woods himself is all the fucking mythology that others (primarily the media) stick on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                  Tiger's win dominated the back pages of every English paper yesterday in a way that would normally only happen if a Brit (or Rory) had won. If Koepka had beaten Woods into 2nd place it would have been reported about 5 pages from the back - even though a win for Koepka would have made him only the fourth player in history to hold three majors at once.
                                                  I don't recall Danny Willett getting anything like this level of coverage after his Masters win.

Politics aside isn't it generally accepted - particularly amongst the press golf corps - that Woods is simply an unpleasant individual? Which makes the media overkill even more surprising but a story is a story I suppose.

Comment

Can't wait for Trump to take some credit for the advice he gave Woods about improving his short game or somesuch when they played together.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X