Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George
    replied
    The disinterested offspring talk is purely rumour, so it could easily be nonsense. No doubt it originates from Newmarket (a glorified village), as the organisation's main stud farm is located just outside the town and most of their best prospects get sent to Stoute or Gosden. What is suggestive is that the size of the broodmare band has been cut back in recent years - but that isn't unusual, especially for a set-up which is renowned for 'Quality', They also keep only a small roster of stallions - just five of them (including Frankel) stand at Banstead, Contrast that with the sprawling rosters at Coolmore and Darley/Godolphin.

Until Tattersalls confirm a blockbuster dispersal sale it's probably best to assume the show stays on the road, at least in the short term.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    They do tend to be wealthy, yes.

He certainly had a huge impact, and to answer George 's question, he was one of 16 sons and 13 daughters, so there must be innumerable nephews and grand-nephews, surely one of them might be interested?

Edit: probably tons of nieces too, but they are no doubt destined to be brood mares.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Isn't that true of virtually all horse owners?

Leave a comment:

• KGR
    replied
    I can't (well, I can actually) believe the outpouring of suck-up eulogies to Abdullah, everywhere. Billionaire by birth, part of an oppressive regime in his country, using his ill-gotten monies to buy horses while his countrymen live in poverty. What a guy!

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied
    Khalid Abdullah has passed away at the age of 84. It's long been speculated what would happen to Juddmonte after his death as apparently none of the sons shared his enthusiasm for the sport, or even more importantly the breeding operation. Now we'll find out.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    The answer is probably that it's a hangover from the days of tic-tac men on the course, 85/40 being easier to sign correctly and not be misunderstood, that's certainly the case with 100/30 (Burlington Bertie) rather than 10/3, same with 6/4 not 3/2.

I wish they would go decimal and be done with it - 3.125 is a lot easier to understand than 85/40 or 17/8

Frodon and Frost made mugs of all the pundits and the vast majority of punters yesterday, fair play to them.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Why not 17-8?
    Well this is what I don't understand.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    85-40 is quite an unusual price
    Why not 17-8?

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    An excellent win for Bryony Frost in the King George VI at Kempton today. It was eerie watching it in front of empty stands particularly as last year I had been in the crowd right by the winning post. A 20-1 outsider she beat off the favourite Clan Des Obeaux who was 85-40 to win. Now, 85-40 is quite an unusual price and I've seen an 80-45 but never an 85-40 which prompts me to ask what unusual prices people have found in the past.

Leave a comment:

• steveeeeeeeee
    replied
    Paisley Park In the Long Walk Hurdle, what a finish, what horse.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Even by the dodgy standards of lower ranked horseracing owner/trainers, Evans has a reputation as something of a prick, he's also been in trouble for accidentally letting a bookie know about a non-runner, as well as cheating on his wife.

As above they prob knew it was racist, but had a back up story - I'm surprised it passed the checks, I'm wondering if they were younger people doing the checking,, it strikes me as quite an old fashioned slur which a young person might not have heard, they might have thought it was related to the less offensive ski bunny/gym bunny. Or perhaps they don't really do the checks.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    What did "all giddy-up" mean?
    Ah right ok. "as xxx as all giddy-up" means "very xxx".

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    His first wife divorce story, although completely irrelevant to this discussion, is moderately amusing too.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    What did "all giddy-up" mean?

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    On reflection I'd like to withdraw my defence. Just thinking through it, the thing that strikes me as vanishingly unlikely is not that they would have been initially unaware of the connotations/racist usage, but that, in all the time since they originally named the horse and entered it in races etc, nobody would have said anything to them about the likely offence.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied

Whut?
    Sorry Guy, I'm agreeing with you, not sure what your response there is about.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I mean, I'm not ruling out that they named the horse as a racist joke with a back up excuse story. It just strikes me that their explanation is credible. The "Zulu Zander" thing increases the suspicion level. If it was deliberate, then they must be not only racist but also have an appetite for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Yes, I don't doubt that it has a racist usage which has travelled over to the UK too. The question is to what extent (ie.. to what proportion of the population) that racist usage is familiar. ;Some of us live slightly more sheltered lives. I've no recollection of ever hearing anyone use it (hardly surprising in terms of face to face life since I've barely encountered any racist language used, as opposed to discussed, in my presence since leaving secondary school (at which there was plenty). But I don't recall noticing its usage in TV drama or film either.

What's the story with the kids' computer game Jungle Bunny Run, which the horse owners claim is played by their kid?

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    Yeah, it's racist as all giddy-up in England too.
    Whut?

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Yeah, it's racist as all giddy-up in England too.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    This appears to be yet another case of two peoples separated by a common language

It is absolutely five alarm racist over here and I have never seen it used in any other way
    Racist in England too.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Is also listed as a co-owner of a horse called "Zulu Zander"

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    This appears to be yet another case of two peoples separated by a common language

It is absolutely five alarm racist over here and I have never seen it used in any other way

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Run, Rabbit, Run -

"We didn't know 'Jungle Bunny' was racist", say, er…

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-wolverhampton
    Indeed, Guy.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Well I wouldn't have known either. When I saw the headline I thought it would be something much more obvious. Loads of people will never have encountered that expression used in that way.

There was no word as to whether disciplinary action would be taken against whoever submitted the name. Emma Evans, the wife of the horse’s owner-trainer David Evans, said the naming had been an innocent mistake deriving from the name of the filly’s sire, Bungle Inthejungle.

“David’s daughter gave us the horse and there’s a computer game called Jungle Bunny Run, which her son loves playing,” Evans said. “I just thought, that’ll do. I had no idea. It was completely innocent and that is the gospel truth.
    If the sire is indeed Bungle Inthejungle then that explanation strikes me as highly likely to be honest. And yes, there is a computer game called Jungle Bunny Run - I just checked.

It reminds me of the furore around 10 to 15 years ago about the use of the expression "nitty gritty".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X