No announcement yet.

Johnr's 2018 racing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that triumph should win her the Sports Personality of the Year even although it is an Olympic year.

Comment

Just got a text from a friend. He's organising a trip to Aintree next year. I'm not a big racing fan but I'll head along assuming we can.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
        I think that triumph should win her the Sports Personality of the Year even although it is an Olympic year.
        Certainly will in Ireland, can't imagine even one of our contenders winning gold would displace her achievements.

Comment

Not being British doesn't necessarily discount her from the BBC award, but not doing the majority of her sport in the UK probably does, even though her major achievements this year have been here.
          Frankie Dettori (ITA) in 1996 and Barry Briggs (NZ) twice in the 1960s are the only foreigners to have been on the podium, although there have been naturalised winners in Barry McGuigan, Greg Rusedski and Lennox Lewis. AP McCoy's win in 2010 (his National win) is the only time racing has taken the gong.

Comment

I run the family quiz and had asked the question about non UK winners of a top 3 spot in the event so i knew of McGuigan and Dettori and just assumed that Blackmore would be allowed in. My bad.

Ok, with that said, she should be a lock in for overseas personality award.

Comment

My step-brother stapled himself to a bit of history by filming the interview with this year's Grand National winning Jockey. As a result, the back of his head has become widely distributed in photos on the social medias.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                I run the family quiz and had asked the question about non UK winners of a top 3 spot in the event so i knew of McGuigan and Dettori and just assumed that Blackmore would be allowed in. My bad.
                Mark Cavendish throws a spanner in the works there - IoM is not part of the United Kingdom, so technically he is a non-UK winner. I'd want to be given a point for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Are there horse racing followers who never gamble? Anyone here?
                  Me. I refuse to have an online account, and the closest bookie to me is 4 miles away, but closed down last summer. I have no idea where my nearest shop is now.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    Just got a text from a friend. He's organising a trip to Aintree next year. I'm not a big racing fan but I'll head along assuming we can.
                    Yeah, you go and take up a ticket that a real fan would love to have. Go you.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      Not being British doesn't necessarily discount her from the BBC award, but not doing the majority of her sport in the UK probably does, even though her major achievements this year have been here.
                      Frankie Dettori (ITA) in 1996 and Barry Briggs (NZ) twice in the 1960s are the only foreigners to have been on the podium, although there have been naturalised winners in Barry McGuigan, Greg Rusedski and Lennox Lewis. AP McCoy's win in 2010 (his National win) is the only time racing has taken the gong.
                      McCoy is from Northern Ireland, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Mark Cavendish throws a spanner in the works there - IoM is not part of the United Kingdom, so technically he is a non-UK winner. I'd want to be given a point for that.
                        I am afraid you would be denied as I asked the question in a way that it was winners from countries not in the Commonwealth games. This also ruled out the gentleman from New Zealand, who I knew no one in my family would get.

Comment

Terrible news on amateur jockey Lorna Brooke who has died after a horror fall at Taunton two weeks ago. Whilst shocking it also shows just how brave a lot of jockeys are in what they do and face every time they get into the saddle.

Amateur jockey Lorna Brooke, 37, was placed into an induced coma after a shock fall in?Somerset caused her brain to suffer??'significant' swelling earlier this month. She died yesterday.

Comment

Very sad news and it has upset me even though I know very little about her. Terrible age and way to lose your life, so much left to give.

Comment

I've thought for some time that the era of Jim Bolger having horses capable of winning English Classics had pretty much passed - then the sly old sod goes and saddles a 2000 Guineas winner in Poetic Flare. The 3yo colt is a son of Dawn Approach* - who Bolger bred and then trained to four group 1's, including the 2013 renewal of today's race. He also trained the grand-sire (New Approach) and bred and trained the dam and grand-dam. The man's no pauper, but compared to the wealth and bloodstock fire power of Coolmore** and the Gulf Arab operations he runs a relative cottage industry, which makes his success even more impressive. We'll almost certainly never see his like again.

*After a number of underwhelming seasons as a stallion at Godolphin, Dawn Approach is now back at Bolger's farm in Co Kilkenny in a loan agreement with the blue bin.
                              **Bolger's success with New Approach was a key part of the rise of Galileo into today's super sire, which has helped make ''The Lads'' considerably richer than they were previously.

Comment

It's also The Kentucky Derby tonight at Churchill Downs. where the restricted capacity of 50'000 (usual attendance is 170'000) should still be the largest sporting crowd in North America since the start of any pandemic restrictions. Forty thousand were there yesterday for The Oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                                  I've thought for some time that the era of Jim Bolger having horses capable of winning English Classics had pretty much passed - then the sly old sod goes and saddles a 2000 Guineas winner in Poetic Flare. The 3yo colt is a son of Dawn Approach* - who Bolger bred and then trained to four group 1's, including the 2013 renewal of today's race. He also trained the grand-sire (New Approach) and bred and trained the dam and grand-dam. The man's no pauper, but compared to the wealth and bloodstock fire power of Coolmore** and the Gulf Arab operations he runs a relative cottage industry, which makes his success even more impressive. We'll almost certainly never see his like again.

*After a number of underwhelming seasons as a stallion at Godolphin, Dawn Approach is now back at Bolger's farm in Co Kilkenny in a loan agreement with the blue bin.
                                  **Bolger's success with New Approach was a key part of the rise of Galileo into today's super sire, which has helped make ''The Lads'' considerably richer than they were previously.
                                  Yes, fair play to him, although at the time I was less than delighted to see my tip Master of the Seas get chinned on the line.

A more familiar Irish raider saddles the favourite in the 1000 today, AP O'Brien's Santa Barbara is 15/8 on the back of impressively winning her sole run so far and chat from the stable. Not entertaining her at those odds, 1 race is not form, I like Statement at around 9/1. Saffron Beach is tempting at about the same, but "proven stamina" means "slow horse" to me.

Comment

The Bob Baffert trained Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit has tested positive for a banned substance. I'm shocked, shocked I tell yer.

Comment

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1391777762394976263

Comment

Some interesting historical stuff on the TV coverage of the 1952 Grand National in this edition of Billboard, p.2:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...1952-05-24.pdf

Comment

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1392152270498848773
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 11-05-2021, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Some interesting historical stuff on the TV coverage of the 1952 Grand National in this edition of Billboard, p.2:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...1952-05-24.pdf
                                            p. 74:.letter list: mail on hand:

what was this about?

Comment

What about that that ''Dribble Bib Tie'' on the same page. Looks like a Jack Regan kipper on steroids.

Baffert's infractions are numerous and ever growing. It really was a pathetic excuse.

Comment

The whole publication is super interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

p. 74:.letter list: mail on hand:

what was this about?
                                                  Letters for travelling showmen who had no address on file would be held at the Billboard offices and their names published so they could request them to be forwarded.

Comment

Apparently infamous pro punter and former ''trainer'' Barney Curley has passed away. I can't help feeling the news is some elaborate hoax leading up to another big coup. At the very least he contributed to one of the great pieces of sporting television.

It was announced earlier in the week, but it would be remiss to mention here the death of Joe Mercer, who piloted numerous top horses in a career which lasted almost forty years and included eight English Classic victories. Of course, none were greater than The Brigadier,
                                                    Last edited by George; 23-05-2021, 18:53.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X