No announcement yet.

Johnr's 2018 racing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Spinner jumped like a dream and won easily, which once again demonstrates the depth of my expertise.
    Got some each way money at 25/1 and 16/1 and the winner in the second last, and it didn't rain. A nice course, although the usual high percentage of wankers among my fellow racing fans.

Comment

Has anyone on here ever been to the King George VI stakes at Kempton park on Boxing Day? I'm seriously considering going this year but not sure what to expect other than Altior not running.

Comment

Right, ticket has arrived, I'm ready with an early start tomorrow to drive to Kempton Park. Hoping for a fantastic days racing.

Comment

Should be a good day, enjoy.
          I'm big on Lostintranslation in the big one, a very impressive jumper and more sure to stay than Cyrname, who I also don't like because he beat my beloved Altior.
          Eragon de Chanay in the last one is my saver at big odds.
          Looking forward to the 10 race meetings tomorrow, after a nice 4 day break with no racing at all.

Comment

I'm big on Lostintranslation as well because there is a LOT of rain due to fall over the next few hours which will suit this horse more than the others.

Comment

Comment

I went about 10 years ago, there were engineering works, so Kempton Park station was closed, so had to get bus from Richmond. Bit of a nightmare and lost every race. Good atmosphere, nice crowd.

I've been unlucky so far, Danny Whizbang and Hold the Note were both running well before they were impeded by fallen horses. Elixir de Nutz e/w for 14:40 and then Cyrname for the King George.

Comment

I enjoyed that race that ITV showed from Wetherby, purely for the horse that started so late it was almost participating in the next race, barely mustered enough speed to be able to clear the first, and then got pulled up.

Comment

Comment

I'm still yet to back a winner at Kempton. Got my stake back on the King George via betway's offer.

Comment

Back from a fabulous day out at Kempton Park. The atmosphere was really good and I paid extra for the Premier Enclosure which meant I was beside the finish line and had a decent view of the big screen. I also managed to get to the back of the terrace which meant the rain was kept off by the roof. Lostintranslation losing was a but of a bummer and I lost 27 in total today but won 27.50. One further note, why do people park in the middle of racecourses? It takes an age to get away. My tip for parking at Kempton Park is to park in Sunbury Way at the next junction up where you can lgeally bump your car wheel up the kerb. Then it is a 15-20 minute walk back along the footway to the racecourse entrance. When it came to leaving I walked back in my car and straight back onto the dual carriageway, no delays. Meanwhile the people who parked in the racecourse....!

Comment

Lostintranslation had a bit of a shocker, far too many mistakes (including jockey mistakes, Power changed line at the wrong time and lost three lengths) and then landed on top of a fence near the end which meant game over. A pity, because as I had surmised, Cyrname was there for the beating, and well done to Twiston-Davies and Clan des Obeaux. Cobden made the wrong call, which re-inforces that you should never, ever take the jockey's choice into account. They are as clueless as the rest of us.

Just about broke even for the day (translation: lost, but not badly), helped quite a bit by Rachael Blackmore doing the business on Notebook in Ireland.

Comment

Altior not racing at Kempton this Saturday, but instead is aiming for Cheltenham in March. I can't wait to see this horse race in the flesh.

Altior will not race at Kempton on Saturday and will be aimed at a Queen Mother Champion Chase hat-trick at the Cheltenham Festival in March.

Comment

Henderson is getting some almighty flak for announcing Altior's removal from the Kempton field on his (betting company) blog, before actually officially informing the BHA. A bit naughty, and the BHA sent their own vet out to confirm the injury.

Altior should win at Cheltenham, and now he's actually been defeated the odds might actually make him worth backing, although you won't get rich.
                              I saw Altior win the "legendary" Supreme in 2016, with nearly everything he beat going on to win big races, since then it's always been about him doing just enough to win, without producing a performance for the ages. Maybe this year.

The Cheltenham tingles are definitely starting. 9 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X