No announcement yet.

Johnr's 2018 racing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't that true of virtually all horse owners?

Comment

They do tend to be wealthy, yes.

He certainly had a huge impact, and to answer George 's question, he was one of 16 sons and 13 daughters, so there must be innumerable nephews and grand-nephews, surely one of them might be interested?

Edit: probably tons of nieces too, but they are no doubt destined to be brood mares.

Comment

The disinterested offspring talk is purely rumour, so it could easily be nonsense. No doubt it originates from Newmarket (a glorified village), as the organisation's main stud farm is located just outside the town and most of their best prospects get sent to Stoute or Gosden. What is suggestive is that the size of the broodmare band has been cut back in recent years - but that isn't unusual, especially for a set-up which is renowned for 'Quality', They also keep only a small roster of stallions - just five of them (including Frankel) stand at Banstead, Contrast that with the sprawling rosters at Coolmore and Darley/Godolphin.

Until Tattersalls confirm a blockbuster dispersal sale it's probably best to assume the show stays on the road, at least in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          Isn't that true of virtually all horse owners?
          Way to miss the point.

Abdullah has perfected sportswashing to the extent that it's not even mentioned whatsoever in any obituary or article about him. So, either I'm wrong, and he was the Mother Theresa of Saudi politics, or the success of the horses he bought means that he is not allowed to be criticised in any way. ie, sportswashing.

Comment

Gordon Elliott's career looks in jeopardy after a photo emerged of him sitting on a dead horse. It had collapsed on his gallops, and his unconvincing story is that he was waiting for it to be moved when he took a phone call and "automatically" sat down. He then claims to be indicating to a colleague to give him a minute.

It's all bollocks, he's got a big grin on his face and is giving a peace sign, giving the photo an air of "what larks/bantz".

He's desperately apologising, the IHRB are investigating and will doubtless ban him, and the British have already issued an interim ban on him having runners in the UK, which puts his involvement at Cheltenham in 15 days in jeopardy.
            Owners can switch trainers if they want but that's obviously disruptive to their preparation, it will be interesting to see how many do.

He is on a slight downward curve anyway since the O'Learys stopped buying horses (although he saddled 4 winners today), but in the future you can't see owners stumping up his massive fees with this massive negative PR attached. The O'Learys have backed him tonight, but that might not hold for long.

He's got a reputation as a hard bastard, working his staff very hard and his horses even harder, and as such has made enemies along the way, one of whom has obviously picked his moment to leak the photo.

Thanks Gordon, just what the sport needed.

Comment

The BHA acted swiftly it must be said. In part a political move putting pressure on the IHRB to act with more urgency than they often show in disciplinary matters. The timing of all this appears to be very deliberate, with the sport gearing up for it's two biggest cash cows (across both codes). No sympathy for Elliott at all obviously, but I do feel for his staff somewhat, who could end being punished as much as the man himself - at least in the short term.

Interesting to see what action Cheveley Park take. I suspect they might not be as forgiving as O'Leary.
              Last edited by George; 01-03-2021, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                Interesting to see what action Cheveley Park take. I suspect they might not be as forgiving as O'Leary.
                Cheveley Park have moved swiftly, Envoi Allen et al are now with Henry de Bromhead.

Comment

Elliott gets a six month ban - well, 12 months with six months suspended, but it's safe to assume he'll not be tempted to sit on another dead horse in the near future. It seems about right. He's issued a suitably penitent apology.

I'm not sure what happens now regarding his remaining horses, there's precedent for an assistant to take out a caretaker licence, which in effect just makes it a touchline ban, he'd still be able to train the horses but they won't be in his name and he presumably won't be welcome on course.

Comment

They had to do something, but it does seem strange that he gets banned for an incident dating from 2016. I wonder if he'll be allowed to race at Cheltenham.
                    Last edited by Paul S; 05-03-2021, 21:23.

Comment

Elliott's incident was in 2019, the no-mark jockey's video was in 2016. But it's brought the sport into disrepute now - similar to Roy Keane getting banned when his description (well, Eamonn Dunphy's description actually) of the Haaland tackle was published in his autobiography a year or so after the tackle (for which he had already served a ban).

I'm sure there will be some Elliott horses at Cheltenham, under a different name. They'll win a couple of the handicaps at decent prices.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        Elliott's incident was in 2019, the no-mark jockey's video was in 2016. But it's brought the sport into disrepute now - similar to Roy Keane getting banned when his description (well, Eamonn Dunphy's description actually) of the Haaland tackle was published in his autobiography a year or so after the tackle (for which he had already served a ban).

I'm sure there will be some Elliott horses at Cheltenham, under a different name. They'll win a couple of the handicaps at decent prices.
                        Denise 'Sneezy' Foster will be there in place of Elliott. Elliott banned from race courses for 6 months but can still have involvement in training day to day. Foster is basically the trainer in name only.

Looking forward to the festival now. I've got about 18 antepost bets on. Mixture of trebles, Trixies, a couple of single win bets and some e/w bets at bigger prices. Its a shame that we're not going to see Energumene take on Shishkin. Same with Thyme Hill in the Stayers. I also really don't like that so many horses still had multiple entries so close to the festival. No runner no bet helps, but it means punters missing out on better prices when the owner/trainer switches races so close to the festival.

Comment

I'm struggling to get excited, but have just done today's ITV7 and am a bit more worked up for it. Giving myself ?30 to play with for the 4 days.

Comment

Ahem. There is a Cheltenham thread.

Comment

Just got a call from a mate. He had the Irish Grand National winner Freewheeling Dylan at 150/1, so he's quite happy.

Comment

Yes, yet another example of the fact that racing pundits and most fans of the game have no idea what they're talking about, and that anything can win. And a chance for people like me to explain that 150/1 does not indicate that the bookies think it had a chance of winning 1 time in 151 runnings of the race, but reflects the weight of cash at the other end of rhe market. But it did have very little chance on paper, and for the first circuit it looked every inch a farm horse out for a good time before blowing up 6 from home, but it got into a good rhythm and just didn't stop.
                                I escaped with a small profit through small each way wagers on Enjoy d'Allen in 3rd and Off You Go in 6th.

My friend always, always bets on every horse with Dylan in the name as it's his grandson's name. He decided not to today, as it was such an obvious no hoper...

Aintree starts on Thursday, for fans of horses not quite good enough for Cheltenham.

Comment

Apparently the Irish Daily Mirror correspondent had him as an each way shot this morning, which is why my friend had a fiver e/w on it.

Comment

Rachael Blackmore becomes the first woman to win the Grand National on Minnella Times.

Comment

And wins me a few quid! Enough for a pizza!

Seriously though what an achievement. Is that a glass ceiling shattered that we're going to see women jockeys competing in greater and greater numbers in national hunt racing?
                                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-04-2021, 16:36.

Comment

You'd imagine so, she was already the top jockey at Cheltenham, and there have been a number of Irish women competing regularly, though less so in England currently, to my knowledge.

Comment

A friend has just texted me to say that his partner backed the 100-1 runner-up. But she forgot to go for each way...

Comment

I backed it too, Balko des Flos, 50p Ew earned me a whopping ?10.50 incl my stake. Took a slight buzz off of Blackmore's magnificent achievement, as I willed her to mess up the final fence or run out of steam.

I also had ?1 Ew on Blaklion, so another ?11 incl stake for my pocket.

But real history made today, but nothing that would surprise racing fans, Blackmore is the best NH jockey out there at the moment.

Comment

Are there horse racing followers who never gamble? Anyone here?

Comment

I may come as close as anyone, though I only pay attention to classic races

Comment

When I worked in large enough companies, I used to organise sweeps for a couple of the classics. Apart from on course betting (less than ten times) that's the nearest I've come.

Comment

I organised the work sweepstake, which was a nightmare as no one carries money anymore, so I'm down about a tenner subbing people in. I told everyone "ooo, that's got a good chance!" when they drew their horse, which was true up to a point.

My interest in the race ended early - I disregarded Minella Times partly because I felt the odds were too skinny because of the Blackmore factor - most regular punters know her as the best jockey, and now the casual punters recognise her as "that good female jockey". It should have been >20/1 based on what the horse has achieved.

De Bromhead deserves enormous credit - training the first two home in the National is impressive, as is his Champion Hurdle/Chase/Gold Cup/National quadruple, which has never been done before, and for spotting Blackmore's potential early and retaining her ahead of more illustrious alternatives. Elliot will resume training as the 3rd best trainer in Ireland for sure.

ITV blotted their copybook seriously today with their montages and Scouse voiceovers to the extent that I paused it for half an hour's housework. I then forgot I was not live, and received a WhatsApp telling me the result of the big race as they were still lining up on my TV.
                                                    Ah well, who cares, it's a Grade 3 handicap for slow horses anyway.

That's the jumps pretty much done with, over to George for the flat season. Hopefully I'll be able to get to Ponte or Thirsk to see it in person before the season ends.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X