No announcement yet.

MLB 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 10 year rule is going to come under a lot of scrutiny if Bonds and Clemens miss out. If they could stay on for 15 years like they used to be able to, the churn would get them in. They're cleaning up among younger, internet-based, saber-friendly writers (7/8 new writers this year voted for them), and a few older, legacy media, arch-traditionalist writers who, importantly, don't write about baseball anymore are losing their rights.

IIRC, the vast majority of their improved vote totals is due to this reason.

Comment

Well, the primary purpose of its adoption was to keep them out.

The other meaningful number of new votes for them has come from voters who couldn’t stomach excluding them once Bud Selig was in.

Comment

Well yeah, but it's going to look like way more of a self-own if the Hall basically sided with old people who don't go to Cooperstown over an ever-growing majority of writers and probably fans. If Bonds and Clemens finish 10 votes short, they are going to be faced with overwhelming pressure to organize a Veteran's Committee voting pool that will put. them. in.

I don't know if anybody has polled this, but anecdotally it seems clear to me that the vast majority of baseball fans under 40 think both those guys should be in.

Comment

I agree with you, but it seems clear that at least this generation of Clarks is closer to Murray Chass than Christina Kahrl in its worldview.

The whole witch-hunt will look bad in retrospect. I do wonder if A-Rod’s candidacy will provide a new place for those so inclined to “draw a line”.

Comment

The Clarks can make a stand however they want, however MLB and the merchants of Cooperstown are probably more than a little concerned about the declining attendance numbers.

Comment

Watching the MLB channel currently, and Mo (but not Moose) is throwing wiffle balls to Edgar. Mo is STILL better than Aroldis Chapman.

Comment

Just to add to the conversation about about who is voting for whom, some of the writers were reporting on MLB Network last night that new writers are the only new votes for Bonds and Clemens. Beyond that, there is no shift in the voting on these two. Folks who had voted in the past did not change their votes: they either vote for or do not vote for and there is no budging, So the question will be how many new writers are added in the next two years. The one thing that might affect this voting pattern is the thin ballot next year: Jeter is the only new slam dunk. I assume Shilling will gain dramatically and probably get in. And writers will try to come to terms with Larry Walker's inability to stay on the field. Beyond that, the ballot is thin, which means Bonds and Clemens might jump up. If they don't, and the same pattern holds true, it will be interesting to see what happens the year after (their final year on the ballot) since A-Rod and Big Papi appear, both with positive tests (although Big Papi's was supposed to be anonymous) and falling after testing was in place. Testing in place seems to be a dividing line for some writers who do vote for Bonds and Clemens versus super young writers who seem to be performance only.

With all that said, it's clear that performance only isn't going to win the day, which I am glad to see. I understand the case for Bonds and Clemens, but Manny shouldn't be at 22%. He should have fallen off the ballot. PEDs were wrong in the past, and players knew it, but when you fail tests once those tests were part of collective bargaining, you chose cash over awards in my mind.

Comment

Isn't A-Rod already in the PED Hall of Fame?

Comment

Mr. Thistle. Mr. Patrick Thistle. White Courtesy Telephone, Please

[URL]https://twitter.com/sdutposner/status/1088865537377980416?s=21[/URL]

https://twitter.com/sdutposner/statu...377980416?s=21

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Good for them.

Comment

There's a big military presence around San Diego so I get the desire to honor people in the military, but I hope they do away with those stupid Sunday camouflage uniforms.

Comment

They won’t. Once a silly “patriotic” or religious thing happens in America - singing the national anthem, camo uniforms, Christmas-themed Starbucks cups - it’s impossible to get rid of without fragile white men making a stink. And fragile white men are the core of baseball’s audience right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X