No announcement yet.

MLB 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgers are the first team since the NY Giants in 36/37 to watch someone else win the World Series at their stadium two years in a row.

Comment

Boston was wire to wire the best team.

I know Roberts is getting killed, but I think the only justifiable criticism is bringing in Madsen with runners on after that had shown to be a problem in this series. A manager has to know what is happening day by day. Beyond that, taking out Hill made sense when hearing the stories about what happened (although he should not have gone out himself but sent out Honeycutt to see where Hill was at in terms of strength). The reality is that the Dodgers hit in one game only and that was game 4. And they pitched well in one game only (game 3). That's not a recipe for winning. They also weren't that good all season relative to the payroll and roster depth. I assume some of this is hangover from playing so long in 2017.

I find it interesting that the media pundits love to talk about potential dynasties but they can see the product of going to a WS on the team's qualities the next season. The Red Sox will be good next year but the talk about dynasty rings hollow after the Cubs won and haven't been back, Houston won and didn't get back. The Dodgers are the only team that got back but the National League was weak by comparison this season. If I was running a team, I wouldn't even have my pitchers and catchers report until later in Spring Training. Once the team fully arrived, I'd have them work on conditioning for a few weeks before they even start playing again. Let the minor leaguers and new acquisitions do the work. These smart execs have to know enough about recent history, health science, and psychology to find a way to keep a team fresh.

Anyway, congrats Red Sox fans; it was a great season for your team.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
        Big moment for me. This is why I got into baseball as a kid, two long weeks ago.
        I'm upset EIM has usurped me as this thread's dilettante. It's especially galling given his newly-adopted side has triumphed at the expense of my beloved Dodgers and my heartbreaking eighteen month long wait for a World Series win continues.

Comment

I didn't adopt them. They adopted me.

Comment

RIP to the most beloved athlete in San Francisco sports history, Stretch, number 44, Willie McCovey.

Comment

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a player hit the ball as hard.

He would have loved exit velocity.

The City will not be the same without him.

RIP

Comment

That might just be the most 1977 picture ever.

Comment

Japan Series stream, with Hawks and Carp currently tied 4-4 going into the bottom of the ninth.

Hawks lead the series two games to one (with one tied, as games can only go 12 innings in Japan).

Comment

Boom

Walk off home run in the tenth gives the Hawks a 3-1 lead in the Series.

That's the Hawks' 12th consecutive Japan Series win at home, a streak that started in 2011.

Comment

Kershaw is remaining a Dodger.

Comment

As he should

Comment

Cole Hamels or $20million: You decide.

Comment

Hawks shut out the Carp in Hiroshima to retain their title.

Comment

This was entertaining:

https://twitter.com/MyKBO/status/1058416970591338499

Comment

In football (any code) or basketball, if the first half is defensive and low-scoring, the second half probably will be. At least, that seems to be true. I can’t prove it. But it stands to reason.

But in baseball, each inning is a world unto itself.

That’s especially true in low minor-league baseball because the starter rarely goes more than five innings and the quality of the relievers varies wildly, not only from pitcher to pitcher but from game to game with the same pitcher.

Comment

How cool is that batter who got the tying run? That walk followed by the flip.

I'm sure it's been said on here before but what is KBO standard? As good as triple a?

Comment

I would say just below AAA.

Recognisably not as good as Japan (generally considered "AAAA"), likely a tad behind Mexico (offically AAA, but not thought to be as strong as the domestic AAA leagues).

Comment

I have only seen the one game live in Korea, this summer, Doosan Bears vs Kia Tigers. I thought it was comparable to AAA and actually, better than anything Baltimore Orioles put on the field this season. I think it was definitely better standard than most of the AA games I have seen at Portland. It was the most fun I have had a ballpark in many a year.

Comment

That sounds about right.

Comment

GM meetings are happening now. I can't really remember much coming out of these meetings in the past in terms of free agent signings for trades. Obviously the big stories this off-season are Harper and Machado. If you were a GM would you sign either of these guys? It seems like the 10-year contract is what happens for this big signings. And it's hard to find, other than A-Rod's first contract, one that has worked out. But A-Rod was young and so are these two. I wouldn't sign either of them given what they will expect to earn and it will be interesting to see what they do earn with the traditional big spenders unlikely to be a factor: Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees. I guess the Giants could be in on Harper (maybe Bonds II) but they have a bloated payroll with over the hill players. Other than that, maybe the White Sox or Phillies.

Comment

He’d do well with the Giants, I think.

Comment

The Giants have hired GM Farhan Zaidi away from the Dodgers to be their president of baseball operations. I like that in their tweet announcing it, they just called him "Major League executive," and didn't mention what team he was with.

Comment

I found that incredibly bizarre.

I actually looked to make sure he hadn't taken a position with MLB in the last few months.

Very smart guy, who should be good for the Orange and Black.

Comment

I feel bad for Kim Ng, who is a bridesmaid (didn't mean that in a gendered way) YET AGAIN, but Zaidi's record is excellent.

There is a chance she might be the GM under Zaidi, which at least would break some new ground and probably set her up as a president of baseball ops in the future.

Edit: also I'm pretty sure the Orioles haven't picked a GM/President yet, and Ng has interviewed for that. Ursus can back this up, Ng interviewing for jobs she didn't get was a sad joke on Baseball Think Factory in the 2000s.

Comment

I haven’t been to BTF in a while, but would imagine that it still is.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X