No announcement yet.

Once more on C4: F1 and motorsport 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never seen anything of the rally myself so hope I can find some coverage.

Getting near to Dakar now so I guess we'll need a 2019 thread soon if anyone has a good title up their sleeve? Meanwhile, enjoy the Motorsport countdown of the top fifty drivers of 2018:

https://www.motorsport.com/general/n...t-one/4313684/

Comment

In WRC news, Loeb has signed for a part season with Hyundai, so he’ll car share with Sordo and Paddon is left jobless.

Comment

Sounds like it was PSA's withdrawal from WRX which caused Loeb to switch stables completely.

M-Sport seat for Paddon, perhaps?

Comment

Ah, no I see Wilson says they can only afford two cars unless the third is paid for. Was it the case that they ran three for the past couple of years because Ogier got backing from Red Bull?

Comment

Yes. Even then they were marginal in doing the events outside Europe. Without the RB money it’s not a given that they’ll be able to return for the full series, I don’t think - but whatever they do, it’s looking like Suninen (confirmed) with Evans, leaving no seat for Breen, which I’m gutted about.

Comment

And with Meeke also likely to miss out, too then. In a dream world Skoda or VW would swoop in and get a couple of cars ready for those two with some Irish sponsors behind them. Bah.

Edit - in fact, didn't VW actually build a current-generation Polo WR car before deciding they weren't going to use it?

Edit 2: yes, they did.
              https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...02016/1389758/

This sucks, really. A perfectly good world rally car, and three WRC drivers (Paddon, Meeke, Breen) all sitting redundant next year.

Edit 3 - Meeke went to Toyota, didn't he? *slaps forehead*
              Last edited by Kevin S; 17-12-2018, 12:06.

Comment

So, M-Sport need an extension to the registration date for next season and may not be able to compete full time after all. Fingers crossed they make it to the start line.

So have they just made the World Rally spec too expensive? Wilson was talking about how much it costs to meet the aero requirements etc and it's mind bending. No wonder there's only three manufacturers willing to throw their money into it.

Some of the chat on FB is that WR should effectively be replaced with R5 Pro. Get proper coverage, pay good wages and run the more affordable cars. Once you get the best drivers on board you'll get a more competitive series and it'll be interesting to see how Sollberg does in those cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  So have they just made the World Rally spec too expensive? Wilson was talking about how much it costs to meet the aero requirements etc and it's mind bending. No wonder there's only three manufacturers willing to throw their money into it.

Some of the chat on FB is that WR should effectively be replaced with R5 Pro. Get proper coverage, pay good wages and run the more affordable cars. Once you get the best drivers on board you'll get a more competitive series and it'll be interesting to see how Sollberg does in those cars.
                  It is massively expensive, but that was always likely to be the case when the current spec WRC regs were deliberately framed to encourage designers to find more speed, more dramatic aero, more of a return to Group B in terms of visual impact - after years of people complaining the cars all looked the same, weren't spectacular enough and didn't have enough power. It's a difficult balancing act.

Personally I love it, but there's no denying that only 8-12 WRC cars will feel very thin when you're out watching on the stages - the drop-off in pace to the R5s is enormous, and that's why R5 Pro will never become the headline class - it's just not the same spectacle, and that's what the promoter wants. It's easier to sell spectacle and jaw-dropping speed to television companies, sponsors and fans than it is to sell close competition (not that the top class isn't close as well of course, as proven this year).

Meanwhile - a couple of YouTube clips from previous editions of the Arctic Lapland rally. There's a bit at about 2'55" on the first one that is as good as anything I've seen in terms of capturing the magic of rallying after sunset, with lights flickering through the trees as the cars approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O49Yn1Ayyh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEAHXgfFook

Comment

Happily, it looks like M-Sport are in for 2019 with Evans and Suninen - plus Pontus Tidemand for the opening two rounds.

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-pos...PLANS-FOR-2019

Comment

Working...
                    X