Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    After four days, no one is unbeaten. The basho is a free for all.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    Vice checks in.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Last Basho of the year starts Sunday. Terunofuji is expectedly out and Ichinojou seems to have a drinking problem.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Ooof

https://twitter.com/takarada_sumo/status/1583742254153629697?s=61&t=SjQL__0HuTz6KF3LYk1saA

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Agreed. I like both rikishi but happy for Tamawashi.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/anita_sheep/status/1573943505344692224?s=20&t=5O3Vv2SwnqNJOXPrqBvqug

Tamawashi, who will be 38 in November, because the oldest rikishi to win a title since the introduction of the six tournament a year schedule in the 1950s.

A very worthy winner. His win here over Takayasu where a loss would have meant a playoff, was typical of his last week of bouts.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The reference to osteoarthritis in both knees is troubling.

Even an Ichinojo at the nadir of his game had no problem with this version of Shodai.

Very impressive flip from a very compromised position by Hoshortu, effectively eliminating Takakeisho.

My money is on Tamawashi to win this. Takayasu beat Hokotofuji today and the former leader can no longer avoid the named ranks.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Terunofuji now kyujo

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Shodai is evidently the first Ozeki to ever lose eight of nine bouts while holding the rank

Friday was the first day since 2006 when everyone with a rank of Ozeki or higher lost.

It happened again today.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Just saw the highlights from today. Wow. Bye bye Ozeki Shodai. Looks like bye bye Mitakeyumi aswell. Shodai has looked completely out of sorts this Basho.

Terunofuji lost again. He will achieve a winning score but doesn't at all look convincing. Hopefully, he doesn't have anything too seriously wrong with him.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Make that three.

It is complete chaos, with the named ranks having a nightmare.

Of the eight of them only Takakeisho and Kiribayama have a winning record through six matches, are they are both only 4-2.

And defending champion Ichinojo is 2-4.

I would be very surprised if Teru finishes 15 matches.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Terunofuji two losses down already (have yet to see todays bouts) - It looks to be another 'anything can happen' Basho.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
    Is the big nomad Ichinojou going to finally realise his potential and win his first Basho? Looks faultless so far.
    https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1551173553722359808?t=0WzKXU2OyA2Ijlyp4gcmKg&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Two more stables are out now including Kotonowaka who had a chance of winning the whole thing.

This basho whilst entertaining, has become a bit of a farce.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Or he could have called for a re-tie of the mawashi 15-30 seconds earlier, when it was clear that it was loose and the pair were in a stalemate that would have been much easier to reset.

As of yesterday, there were more than 30 rikishi out across all divisions and that number will only increase.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Haha, love the comparison to snooker!

I guess in hindsight he could have waited for just one more second.

Rikishi seem to be dropping like flies die to covid cases in their stables. No idea who s going to win this now.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    A good piece on that shambles

https://tachiai.org/2022/07/17/day-8s-musubi-no-wtf/

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    What a fuck up by the referee. Have you ever seen anything like this before? I reckon the gyōji saved the Yokozuna's ass there, he was just about to lose
    Last edited by The_Purple_Cow; 17-07-2022, 09:04.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1548310196597841922?t=rpSKOW-NMbDYanYX7gisxQ&s=19]

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He does look very good, but he has gone 14-1 and finished runner up before, so there is considerable skepticism

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Is the big nomad Ichinojou going to finally realise his potential and win his first Basho? Looks faultless so far.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    My man Ichiyamamoto let me down again. I expected great things of him by now but as usual he hasn't done it. He's like the Hatem Ben Arfa of sumo. I don't think he has the strength for the pusher/thruster style.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He is a very worthy champion and an exemplary Yokozuna.

He is also physically incapable of contesting six bashos each year.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Very entertaining final day, Takanosho winds up losing, leaving it all up to Terunofuji, who somehow has managed to hold himself together this basho despite obvious pain even just getting in and out of the ring -- he shows real steel to win his bout (and once it went past the first five seconds, it was clear that it was his) and the tournament.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X