Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Aoiyama (big Danny) is kyujo after starting the basho 0-6. I have a feeling retirement is just around the corner. No more Europeans in makuuchi, I guess, unless Shishi figures out how to move up from Juryo (I am skeptical),

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    Asanoyama 6-0. Godzilla, Kirishima and a couple of others at 5-1.

If you get a chance, watch the Terunofuji v Tobizaru match. The death stare Teru goves Tobi after the match is hilarious.

Yeah that was so funny. Proper gave him the evil eye

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Asanoyama 6-0. Godzilla, Kirishima and a couple of others at 5-1.

If you get a chance, watch the Terunofuji v Tobizaru match. The death stare Teru goves Tobi after the match is hilarious.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Almost nobody rides up as fast as Atamifuji has done and not got smoked on their first contact with the real top rankers. It's good for him. He'll learn.

Asanoyama and Kotonowaka leading the way at 5-0. Hoshoryu, Kirishima, Godzilla Daiesho and a couple of flash-in-the pans in the lower ranks all 4-1

I am really liking this basho because we can finally see some stability returning to the top ranks, and a new long-ter "order" emerging. Imagine if this basho ends with a three-way tie at 13-2 between 'shima, Hoss and waka. You'd have a new yokozuna, possibly a new Ozeki, and a guy who would be one yusho away from Yokozuna. Even if that doesn;t happen (it won't) Could certainly see within two years ropes on both Mongolians, who are both young and relatively injury-free. Also easy to see Asanoyama returning to the Ozeki rank, joined by Kotonowaka and maybe even Daieisho. All of these guys could stick around at a top rank for quite some time. And presumably guys like Hakuoho and Onosato (or whoever the new phenom is) could be up there as well.

Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 18-01-2024, 15:04.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Atimifuji still without a win at his highest rank. Hopefully he starts racking them up soon.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Day 4. Takakeisho kyujo. Hoshoryu wins. Kirishima falls off the pace as he gets thrown by a nifty-looking Midorifuji. Godzilla imperiously tosses Gonoyama aside. (if you can watch a replay which catches the 40 seconds or so before the match - on Jason's feed, probably - watch Gonoyama's eyes just before the tachiai. Utterly terrified).

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    I can't believe nothing snapped.

Also, I am totally here for a 15-day Kirishima-Hoshoryu battle at the top. They are both looking fine. Hoshoryu's win against Ura today was something else.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Terunofuji makes his long awaited comeback and nearly rips Ura's arm out of his socket!

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1728730573836058924?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Kirishima wins the emperor's cup!

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Kintamayama is now posting under Mord Dresner on Youtube

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    NHK is now posting their highlight program and full replays on their website and YouTube

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    The only reliable way to get Natto Sumo is his facebook page. The Day 5 video you're looking for is here: https://www.facebook.com/Natto482/vi...9843000704187/

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    The Basho is a free for all now. Ichayamamoto is 7-1 followed by about seven or eight on 6-2

I thought the Asanoyama - Takakeishou bout should have been a redo...

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Wow Takayasu!

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Oh, it was from Natto Sumo. Maybe another copyright issue?

Basically Akua slaps seven shades of shit out of Shiden.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    It's a private video. (?)

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJv1...8gc3Vtbw%3D%3D

At 5.40 watch Akua Vs Shiden in the Juryo division. Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    I know the committee is desperate to have a Yokozuna that actually shows up, but I just don’t think Takakeisho has what it takes.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The utterly disproportionate protection of established seniors at the expense of promising young talent is very Japanese.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    In the same vein, fab young'un Hakuoho is missing his second consecutive basho with a shoulder injury, and instead of challenging for sanyaku bout now as we all expected after Nagoya, he'll start the January basho in Makushita.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Very unforgiving to non-Yokozuna, and other named ranks (though to a lesser extent).

Of the 14 tournaments since his promotion, Terunofuji has completed seven (winning four), departed another three early and sat out four entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    My Enho seems to be done, though. This is his fourth basho out, he's down into Jonidan now and no sign of coming back. At this point, he's probably only staying registered for the health benefits. Glad I got to see him in his last basho in March.
    Oh no really? To be honest, I kind of forgotten about him. The sumo rankings seem very unforgiving to injured wrestlers. I see Wakatakakage won today at Makushita after losing his first bout. Hopefully, he makes a quick return to the salaried ranks.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    keisho doing ok so far, 3-1, though he was undermined by some bad tecnique today. Hoshoryu looking dangerous at 4-0, and it;s getting harder and harder to dismiss Atamifuji as a fluke. He's also 4-0, after 11-4s in both September and July, and a 13-2 in May. He might not make sanyaku this time, but he'll be fighting Ozeki next basho I think.

My Enho seems to be done, though. This is his fourth basho out, he's down into Jonidan now and no sign of coming back. At this point, he's probably only staying registered for the health benefits. Glad I got to see him in his last basho in March.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And Takakeisho looks to be well less than 100 percent as well

Leave a comment:

Working...
X