No announcement yet.

How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ichoinojo undefeated at 6-0 in Juryo. His sumo is looking very good this basho.

Comment

Takakeisho 3-3 after six bouts

It's almost as if the Council knows something about the sport

We seem to have entered an era when everyone is struggling to string together a chain of double digitwibs at the top level

Comment

This has become an intriguing contest.

Midorifuji is 9-0, but still has to face the top ranks (absent Terunofujinabd Takakeisho, who are both out injured).

Daiesho is 8-1; Kotonowaka, Endo and Takayasu are all 7-2 and there are a host of rikishi at 6-3

Six days remain

Comment

So I just spent three days at the basho (days 5, 6and 9)

The concessions in Osaka are shit (basically - bring your own food in) but generally speaking you are much closer to the action that you are at the Kokugikan at any sensible price level. I recommend the two person box seats on the north side for top value.

The top end of Juryo is much more fun than most of makuuchi. Enho is fighting well, as is Ichinojo, and Asanoyama is crushing it. I can easily imagine him back in the Ozeki ranks by January, there's just nothing stopping him putting up double-digit wins all the way to the top.

Comment

Also, Osaka is so cramped that there is no way to allow fans in certain parts of the arena to get to concession/wahsrooms, etc. without mixing with the rikishi who are waiting their turn in the hallways. I was *inches* away from Ichonojo, Kagayaki and Kotoeko. In real life, just as monstrously large as you think they are.

Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post

The top end of Juryo is much more fun than most of makuuchi. Enho is fighting well, as is Ichinojo, and Asanoyama is crushing it. I can easily imagine him back in the Ozeki ranks by January, there's just nothing stopping him putting up double-digit wins all the way to the top.

This is the first time that I have took a proper interest in Juryo. Asanoyama beat Tochinoshin today. Tochinoshin looked very injured and I wonder if this is the last we will see of him?

Comment

Gramsci and I have been wondering that for a couple of years, but the end is now more clearly nigh.

The gulf between the top two tiers has clearly narrowed considerably for a variety of reasons

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Gramsci and I have been wondering that for a couple of years, but the end is now more clearly nigh.

The gulf between the top two tiers has clearly narrowed considerably for a variety of reasons
                    He is my favourite and was definitely the guy I gravitated towards when I started watching about five odd years ago now. My favourite moment will always be when he won the yusho. However, I do kind of want him to call it a day for his own health. He's had a great career and has nothing left to prove.

Comment

I have always liked Midorifuji but would never have dreamed of something like this 10-0 run.

Less noticed but still important: Kiribayama is 7-3. If he puts up 10 wins, combined with his 11-4 in January he's very much in Ozeki promotion terrritory come May

Comment

Other thing to note, from the Makushita division.

Shishi, a Ukrainian rikishi, is tearing it up. He looks really good, capabale of making the jump to the top table. Kawazoe, yet abother wonderkid from the Miyagino (i.e. Hakuho) stable also looks ready to make a move up.

Both have alread lost one macth so no chance of them winning the yusho, but one more win probably brings Kwazoe (who I believe is ranked Makushita 2) into juryo next tournament. Shishi is I think Makushita 11 and so won;t make it out this time, but could be well placed to gain promotion in May.

Comment

Chris Sumo has been a big fan of Shishi since he arrived in Japan. Very talented kid who learns very quickly.

Comment

Other thing to note, from the Makushita division.

Shishi, a Ukrainian rikishi, is tearing it up. He looks really good, capabale of making the jump to the top table. Kawazoe, yet abother wonderkid from the Miyagino (i.e. Hakuho) stable also looks ready to make a move up.

Both have alread lost one macth so no chance of them winning the yusho, but one more win probably brings Kwazoe (who I believe is ranked Makushita 2) into juryo next tournament. Shishi is I think Makushita 11 and so won;t make it out this time, but could be well placed to gain promotion in May.
                            Was Kawazoe the one that had a juryo bout a few days ago?

Comment

Yes, it was on one of the days I was there, either day 5 or 6.

Comment

Aaand Midorfuji drops two in a row. Tomorrow's bout is against also 10-2 Daieisho. 9-3 Kiribayama srill in with a chance for the yusho (and also 9-3 Kotonowaka too but c'mon) and, hopefully, an Ozeki spot too.

Comment

Just caught up with yesterdays bouts. Kotoshouhou vs Ura was a classic. Definately bout of the basho so far.

Comment

Daieishou sole leader followed by three others on 10-3. Exciting!

Comment

Just had a chanko dinner with The Sumo Soul, who it turns out is from Iowa (but has lived here for nearly thirty years).

Daiesho obvs the favourite going into the last day, but it seems to me close to even money that there will be a playoff. Fingers crossed for kiribayama!

Comment

There are a variety of highly entertaining bouts on the cards for tomorrow, but Ichinojo v, Enho in juryo seems like the one to watch.

I believe they have matched up once or twice before, and if memory serves, it wasn't pretty (tl;dr Enho has a shtick that works against big opponents - however it ceases to work once the opponent passes from being big to REALLY big)
                                        Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 24-03-2023, 12:27.

Comment

There are a variety of highly entertaining bouts on the cards for tomorrow, but Ichinojo v, Enho in juryo seems like the one to watch.

I believe they have matched up once or twice before, and if memory serves, it wasn't pretty (tl;dr Enho has a shtick that works against big opponents - however it ceases to work once the opponent passes from being big to REALLY big)
                                          Intriguing - But I can't look back Ichinojo. Has been a beast this basho. Looks like to have put his personal problems behind him and looks incedibly focused from what I have seen.

Comment

https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1639911120919216129?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Had to wait ages to see this: our plane literally took off between the last match and the playoff. Great ending, looking forward to Kiribayama bringing the Ozeki run to a conclusion in May.

Comment

NHK's analysts said that Takakeisho was "90% certain" to make Yokozuna after this basho. Seems like a long time ago now.

Comment

Wakatakakage apparently underwent ACL surgery after the basho. Out until either January or March, by which time he will be in lower Makushita or upper Sandanme (respectively). Minimum two years before he is anywhere near the named ranks again (and that's assuming he can pull off an Asanoyama-like march back to the top)

Comment

Sad, though completely understandable, news

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1653864401017905157?s=61&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Working...
                                                    X