Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vice checks in.

Comment

After four days, no one is unbeaten. The basho is a free for all.

Comment

Great bout between Tobizaru and Takakeisho today, with the former winning.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Great bout between Tobizaru and Takakeisho today, with the former winning.
          Yep, just caught up with yesterdays action. Still wide open at this stage.

Comment

Houshouryuu sole leader followed by Oho and Takayasu.

I hope Takayasu wins it.

Comment

Poor Takayasu!

Dunno how to feel about Abi winning. He is a deserved winner after winning three bouts in one day. I do like him, but did he henka Takayasu?

Comment

He sure did, and appears to have injured him in the process

Comment

The only reason to feel good about Abi winning, I reckon, is that had he lost to Takakeisho in the playoff, the sumo federation would definitely have tried to make a concussed Takayasu get on the dohyo for a final bout..

This is, apparently, the first time in sumo history that three conscutive yushos have been won by non-Sanyaku (ie not of komusubi rank or above) rikishi. And with Shodai's long-overdue demotion I believe it's the first time in a century or so since there have only been two fighters with rank of Ozeki or higher. The top of the table is pretty dire. Hoshoryu, Wakatakatage and Kiribayama are the future but they are probably still a year or two away from really making it into the Ozeki ranks.

Comment

It is grim

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
                      The only reason to feel good about Abi winning, I reckon, is that had he lost to Takakeisho in the playoff, the sumo federation would definitely have tried to make a concussed Takayasu get on the dohyo for a final bout..

This is, apparently, the first time in sumo history that three conscutive yushos have been won by non-Sanyaku (ie not of komusubi rank or above) rikishi. And with Shodai's long-overdue demotion I believe it's the first time in a century or so since there have only been two fighters with rank of Ozeki or higher. The top of the table is pretty dire. Hoshoryu, Wakatakatage and Kiribayama are the future but they are probably still a year or two away from really making it into the Ozeki ranks.
                      Yeah, I did think this. The checks on Takayasu after the playoff hardly looked vigorous.

Comment

Sumo makes rugby look progressive when it comes to concussion

Comment

Yeah, deffo. And in injuries in general. Two old guys in a wheelchair.

Yutakayama has retired at 29 years old.

Comment

Bump!

A new years means the Hatsu Basho begins on January 8th. Only one Ozeki on the Banzuke.

Also there is fresh scandal. Ichinojo is out for violating Covid regulations (nothing to do with his previous controversies) and Isegahama Okayata is suspended following a bulling scandal in his stable.

Comment

Day three done. Reigning champ Abi is 3-0. Takakeishou bounced back from yesterday's loss with an impressive win. Hoshoryu looking good aswell.

Comment

All three win again today, but for me Hoshoryu has been the man of the tournent so far.

Incredible for a 23 year old

[https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613126095146188801?t=OJ7TaqP2s4AHZM0Hrzqmpw&s=19

Comment

Yeah, he look very assured to say the least.

Comment

SPOILERS for today....

Takakeishou, who lost yesterday, bounces back to beat Onoshou. Now there are three rikishi who have a 10-3 record with two days remaining. Exciting!

Comment

https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1616362140277051392?s=61&t=cOiMW6dGL_L1uHZSZJ_euQ

Comment

Takakeisho a deserved winner. Although, probably hasn't done enough for a Yokozuna promotion. Lets see how he does next basho...

Comment

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1621573427940233219?t=m3-NZ4zjaTFSalec83Q_oQ&s=19

Comment

Shite, isn't it? I always watched Kintayamama. And Jason's channels has loads of bouts on it.

Comment

March Banzuke is out. Asanoyama is still in juryo which I find a bit odd.

Comment

That does seem strange, especially given the general thinness of the top ranks

Comment

So the March basho begins on Sunday. Does anyone know if Kintamayama will be putting youtube vids up? If not, how will i watch?

Comment

To answer my own question, yes!

Have not caught up with the top division results of day 5 but the Juryo division looks in interesting with Tochinoshin, Ichinojo, Asanoyama plus others. Keep an eye out for Ochai, a 19 year old rookie in ex-Hakohou's stable. He's so much of a rookie, he hasn't even grew a topknot yet. He won division three in his January and is now in the salaried ranks. He is now 4-1 after beating former next big thing, Tomokaze, who is working his way back up the ranks from injury.

Natto Sumo video of today's Juryo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvziyN_fFqo

Comment

Working...
                                                    X