How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look for NattoSumo on YouTube

This is completely bizarre and quite disrespectful. I wouldn't be surprised if Tobizaru gets a sanction of some kind.

https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1413788625720930307

Teru and Hak both 7-0

Comment

Man, that's probably the only chance Tobizaru's going to get to fight the GOAT, and that's how he chooses to use it? Smh.

I seem to recall Enho trying something like that a few bashos ago and there was no sanction.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a chance of sanction. I thought it might be different because Yokozuna and musubi no ichiban

They should just have Teru and Hak do a five bout series for the title. They are so far above the rest that it isn't funny.

Comment

Would certainly make the video highlight reel a lot shorter.

I think four competent Ozeki plus is the minimum for a good basho. Shodai obviously doesn;t qualify, but when they are at their best, Takakeisho and Asanoyama both do. Shame we've lost both of them.

I watched a basho from 2016 a while ago when there were seven competent Ozeki pluses. Completely different experience. A golden age, I guess.

Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 12-07-2021, 17:14.

Comment

The top two barely broke a sweat today

10-0 with five days left

Comment

Days off are good for the knees.

I literally can't stop thinking about what a Teru-Hak bout will look like. Advantage Hakuho because of mobility, I think but...?

Comment

Especially hard to project just where they will be physically in four days.

Hak seems to be getting a bit stronger as the basho goes on. Teru not so much.

Comment

Two more commanding victories, with Teru particularly impressive in just blowing Mitakeumi out of the ring

Comment

Both Titans 14-0 going onto the final day

First time since 2012 (when not yet Yokozuna Hakuho lost), only sixth in modern era.

Comment

Zensho yusho!

Can't seem to load an image (out of practice on this board) but the shot of Hakuho screaming after the win is one for the ages.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DomingoOfficial/status/1416726992100155394

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

And the Yokozuna Deliberation Council unanimously recommends Terunofuji as the sport's 73rd Yokozuna. Rope achievement: unlocked!

Comment

Video of Terunofuji's first dohyo-iri at the Meiji Shrine.
                              Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 24-08-2021, 16:16.

Comment

Not taking any chances with his knees, I see

Comment

Worst sumo wrestler ever retires.

Genuine passing of an era...

Comment

Now that smallcaps' appearances are sadly limited, this thread may be down to two posters, but Takakeisho looks very likely to lose his ozeki status after losing his first two bouts in this tournament

Comment

The GOAT has officially retired

Comment

Teru is 12-0 and has been doing things like this.

https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1463821955941888001?s=21

Three days to go, including a likely final day bout with Takakeisho, who is 11-1.

Comment

I watched half an hour of sumo in a hotel room in Belgium last week (on the telly, they weren't on my mattress) and it was very watchable. I hadn't realised that the bouts were so quick.

Comment

Day 3 of Hatsu and Takakeisho is already kyujo. Amazingly, he lost today to Ura, who on day 2 really looked liked he had suffered a concussion v. Shodai.

Terunofuji is now 20 or 21 straight matches without a loss and honeslty, it;s not clear who might actually beat him. Ever. Like this could go on all year.

Mitakaeumi starting off brightly, not impossible to think he could be on his way to Ozeki status (finally). Hoshoryu and Wakatakage both increasingly looking like they will both be firmly ensonsed in the K/S ranks by the end of the year. After Mitakaeumi, these two guys look to be next likeliest to ascend to the Ozeki rank. Meanwhile, at the bottom of the top division, I think there's a reasonable chance that all three white guys (Kaisei, Aioyama and the Mighty Tochinoshin) might all get relegated this basho; also, newcomer Ouho looks like he might have real staying power.

Comment

Yes, the gulf in class seems even wider than in Hakuho's heyday, which is somewhat hard to believe.

It is hard not to think that (barring injury) the focus will be very much on his unbeaten streak rather than the destination of the next several titles. The last time a new Yokozuna won his first three tournaments with that rank was in 1915. Tero looks nailed on to match (and then surpass) that feat.

Wakatakakage is 0-4 now after losing to Shodai. M1 looks like it was too high for him at this point, though I agree his ceiling is quite a bit higher.

Comment

Day 4 was maybe the best day of sumo in the last three years. Nearly all of the last ten bouts were super-entertaining, including Ura v Teru.

Day 5 has some good ones, too, notably Hoshoryu v. Tobizaru. My man Chiyonokuni is 0-5, very depressing. Abi, back up from the lower divisions, is 5-0 - it's like the entire division has forgotten how to defeat him (back up and pull, the dude will fall over every time). Mitakaeumi looks great, as he does about one in every eight bashos - also unbeaten. Teru just *destroyed* Ichinojo. Judo-tossed all 450 pounds of him. So a three-way tie at 5-0

Comment

Win streak ends at 23. Abi and 'umi still undefeated. Teru and his vanquisher (Tamawashi - takes a Mongolian to beat a Mongolian) at 5-1.

Comment

And we are once again tied at the top after 10 days

Comment

Working...
                                                    X