No announcement yet.

How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In theory Hakuho can win by beating Kakuryu twice tomorrow, but I really doubt that's going to happen.
    The banzuke gods are extremely mean in making Terutsuyoshi and Tomokaze together; I mean, I sort of understand why, because they only want one jun-yusho winner (both currently 11-3) if Hakuho wins the first match tomorrow. But still, mean.
    Abi v. Kotoshogiku in the useless magic white arrows match tomorrow. Hope Abi wins and gets to stay at Komusubi - he's had a good basho. A loss would knock him back down to Maegashira.
    The other really important fight tomorrow is Aoiyama (M2 7-7) v. Daiesho (M3 8-6) - winner will likely join Endo at M1 spot for Aki.

As of right now, the banzuke for Aki looks something like this:

Y - Kakuryu, Hakuho
    O - Takayasu, Goeido, Tochinoshin
    S - Takakeisho, Mitakaeumi
    K - Abi*, Hokutofuji
    M1 - Daieisho, Endo
    M2 - Tomokaze, Aoiyama
    M3 = Ichinojo, Asanoyama
    M4 - Shimanoumi, Shodai
    M5 - Kotoshogiku, Tamawashi
    M6 - Ryuden, Chiyotaryu

(Not sure how they will evaluate Tomokaze, tbh - if he loses this is probably right, if he wins...Does he take the second K spot? easier to do if Abi loses I suppose) Anyways, a lot of fluidity still in the M4 through K spots depending on what happens tomorrow.

Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 20-07-2019, 19:13.

Comment

Kakuryu 14-1, Hakuho & Terutsuyoshi 12-3, and that's all she wrote.

Based on today's results some small adjustments to the projected banzuke:

Y - Kakuryu, Hakuho
      O - Takayasu, Goeido, Tochinoshin
      S - Takakeisho, Mitakaeumi
      K - Abi*, Hokutofuji
      M1 - Endo, Aoiyama
      M2 - Tomokaze, Daieisho
      M3 = Ichinojo, Asanoyama
      M4 - Tamawashi Shodai
      M5 - Shimanoumi, Chiyotaryu,
      M6 - Kotoshogiku,Terustsuyoshi
      Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 21-07-2019, 23:56.

Comment

Lots to enjoy on that final day. How Endo managed to stay in that fight with Kotoshogiku was unreal. Abi's henka did the trick for him, and the Yokozuna fight made for a fitting finale.

Comment

Banzuke is out

Terutsuyoshi got robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
            Banzuke is out

Terutsuyoshi got robbed.
            Idunno, from M16 to M9 is a decent promotion.

Comment

I thought he deserved at least one rank higher. Maybe they want to go easy on him on his first climb up the ranks. Conversely, I thought Ryuden got off easy

I'm hearing it's possible that none of the three Ozeki nor Takakeisho actually take to the dohyo this time out. Which would make this basho...interesting.
              Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 30-08-2019, 11:13.

Comment

Takaysau is kyujo. Goeido seems OK.. Tochinoshin is in but still has a dodgy knee. Takakeisho....he's going to start but he really seems unlikely to finish. More from Chris Gould here

Comment

Day 1 here. Enho is God. Takakeisho's knee looked OK, Tochinoshin's did not. Asanoyama bulldozed Mitakaeumi. Hakuho...well, see for yourself.

Comment

Also, Tomokaze is the next Ozeki. The man's record is unbelievable.

Comment

And Hakuho goes kyujo

Comment

Hmmm. Did you notice yesterday against Hokutofuji he lead with the slap to the face? He's been told not to do that before, and (I think) he only does it when he's feeling a bit low on power. Wonder if he is having toe problems again.

Occurs to me he may only have started this basho so he could be sure of just once having his ideal dohyo-iri set-up with Ishiura and Enho.
                        Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 09-09-2019, 06:56.

Comment

Ah, no, I'm wrong. Hakuho broke a finger on the way off the dohyo yesterday apparently.

Comment

So much going on that it's hard to know where to start. Enho's escape dance on the boundary on day 3 was bested by the Endo-Goeido bout on the same day. Kakuryu relatively easily dispatches all opponents so far, but he hasn't met anyone in form yet. Takakeisho, for instance, looks unstoppable.

Comment

Day 4 here. The Endoh-Asanoyama and Enho-Shohozan matches were the highlights today - both fantastic. Tochinoshin got robbed. Starting to think this basho is going to be a Takakeisho-Kakuryuu duel.
                              Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 11-09-2019, 12:32.

Comment

Tochinoshin got robbed.
                                To me, it felt more like he accidentally robbed himself through unfortunate hand placement.

Comment

Correct

Comment

Kakuryu has started leaking kinboshi all over the place, opening up the yusho race to basically anyone. Okinoumi is the only unbeaten rikishi after day 6, with seven competitors on 5-1.

The ranks of the leading pack must be historically low. We have no yokozuna and ozeki in the top-eight. We do have two sekiwake, one komusubi, and then five maegashira of ranks M6, M8, M10, M11, and M15. Time to put a cheeky bet on Enho winning the whole thing, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                      Time to put a cheeky bet on Enho winning the whole thing, perhaps?
                                      Egg, meet face.

Comment

Okinoumi at 8-0 and Meisei at 7-1 has to be some kind of cosmic joke. This last week is going to be outstanding. Tochinoshin is done though. Even with both Yokozuna out, I don't think he can get the five more wins he needs to hang on.

If I were looking at an outside flutter, I'd have to say Endo looks good.

Comment

If I were looking at an outside flutter, I'd have to say Endo looks good.
                                          Obviously I meant Takakeisho.

Well, this may be a crap basho in many ways, but a five-way tie for first place with five days to go means the home stretch won't be dull.
                                          Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 17-09-2019, 11:43.

Comment

Tochinoshin is done though.
                                            When you wrote that, I would have agreed with you, but after today's display, I'm not so sure anymore. He looked good.

Home stretch won't be dull indeed.

Comment

How many more opponents are going to let him get a hand on their belt? Hope I am wrong, but this all seems like false hope. Really don't think he's going to beat Goeido, deffo not going to beat Takakeisho...so can he go 3-for-3 against Mitakaeumi and two rank-and-filers (Aioyama and Ryuden, most likely)? Not impossible, but I wouldn't lay money on it.

Comment

Enho v Kotoshogiku tomorrow and it's possible I will die laughing. I cannot imagine how K will deal with this.

Comment

OK, not actually all that funny but good win for E nonetheless. One win away from kachi-koshi.

Comment

Aaaand Takakeisho disposes of Tochinoshin, and the latter falls to 5-6. Occurs to me Tochi's best chance really lies in Goeido getting 8 wins and going kyujo before day 15 (unlikely).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X