How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The whole thing was a WWE-style "work" to ensure that the US President would see nothing but dead rubbers during his extraordinarily disruptive visit on Sunday.
    Ha! I did not yet connect those dots.

The biggest thing on the menu is probably Enho's kachi-/make-koshi.

Comment

Yes, but the story seems to be that he is only going to be there for the last three bouts.

Comment

Banzuke is out. The only real surprise/controversy i suppose is that Asanoyama didn;t make Komusubi but instead got placed at M1. The two K spots went to Abi and Ryuden, both rookies at that spot and both of whom, interestingly enough, made their Makuuchi debuts at the same time in January 2018.

Hakuho will start the tournament, apparently. If i were a betting man, I think I would lay money against him finishing it.

Chiyonokuni is also back after two bashos on the sideline with torn knee ligaments. But he starts at Makushita 6: even if everything goes perfectly we won't see him back in the top division until next year.

We have 4 ozeki for the first time since the start of 2017 (when the lineup was Kisenosato, Terunofuji, Kotoshogiku and Goeido). Takakeisho is kadoban and from what I've gathered not entirely healthy. A demotion may be in store.

Comment

Takakeisho is rather unlikely to appear, methinks.

Comment

I think for appearances' sake, he will show up. And maybe the schedulers will go easy on him the first couple of days. But probably not the end of the world if he loses Ozeki status this time. Can regain it the way Tochinoshin did in May and even if not, he's still young, loads of time to pop back up.

Comment

Sad. And Yoshikaze is kyujo too which may mean that's the last we'll see of him in the top division

Have only watched bits of the first two days, but: absolutely loved Enho taking out Kaisei, Aioyama looking good in his two wins against strong opponents, Abi actually put a hand on Hakuho's belt (!) but is still plagued by the whole feet-way-too-far-behind-the-body thing, Tochinoshin is looking terrible, and Hakuho throwing a clearly still in-form Asanoyama makes me think he really could go on for another couple of years. Amazing

Comment

Enho just looks like he has at least three plans for every opponent, and he makes the opponent look as if they have no plan for him.

Ryuden-Takayasu was an epic match. Word of Day 2, however, was Amiuchi:

"A throw with both arms pulling on the opponent's arm, causing the opponent to fall over forward (the fisherman's throw). It is so named because it resembles the traditional Japanese technique for casting fishing nets."

Comment

Speaking of Enho, I highly recommend this Chris Gould video, in which he translates a long interview that Enho did with Mainoumi, who was to the 90s what Enho is to today (and has long been a commentator for NHK). It includes a number of clips of Mainoumi's "unconventional" tachi-ai, including clapping his hands, backing up and leaping over his opponent.

There is supposed to be a Part Two, which I will post when it goes up on YouTube.

Comment

Enho 3-0 and all is right with the world.

Comment

Takagenji in his first, Enho in his second, and Tomokaze in his third makuuchi tournament are all on 3-0. Tomokaze got his third with a to-be-patented face slap force out.

Aoiyama seemed to have completely missed the tachiai.

Comment

Day 4 highlights are up.

Lots of great face-based sumo on display again. Aoiyama had a narrow escape, dancing on the edge of the ring. Chiyomaru and Yago made their bout last for what felt like an eternity.

Four wrestlers on 4-0: Hakuho, Kakuryu, Tomokaze, and Terutsuyoshi.

Comment

Think I would put money on Kakuryu at this point. Also, it is freaking hilarious how easily Enho gets beat by someone closer to his own size.
                          Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 10-07-2019, 10:21.

Comment

Day 9 highlights here.

Kaisei looks terrible. I do not envy the spectators on the side of the ring where Tamawashi came cannonballing out of the ring. Takayasu looks like he picked up a bad injury in the last round; I think he will keep trying to drag that eighth win over the line, and then sit out the rest of the tournament. All other ozeki will either be demoted or kadoban at the next tournament.

Never before have I seen Hakuho so comprehesively contained and delivered out of the ring. Well-deserved kinboshi, that. AG was right: this is Kakuryu's tournament to lose.

Comment

Takayasu got his 8th today, and I agree with Wouter, he'll probably sit the rest out.

You can already see one big injustice in the September banzuke coming. Abi is looking very much like he'll get his K, which *should* mean a promotion to Sekiwake, because Tamawashi is getting a demotion. BUT that spot is going to be taken by Takakeisho moving down from Ozeki, so it means Abi will probably have to stay at East Komusubi despite a (likely) winning record (and with two others kadoban, there's a reasonable chance that scenario will replay itself in September as well)

Kaisei is heading way back down into juryo. Meanwhile Terutsyoshi is safe, and Enho is one win away from promotion. In this basho it's little guys > big guys

Comment

Aminishiki, the oldest sekitori (aged 40), has retired. Knees finally gave out.

Comment

He has been a sekitori for this entire century, making his professional debut in 1997.

12 special prizes and 8 kinboshi

Comment

Tamawashi went flying again. Ichinojo came agonizingly close to a second kinboshi, but couldn't make it count.

Meisei chose the obvious strategy of attacking Takayasu's injured arm side, but Takayasu saw it coming. That cheeky wink after the bout was gold.

Kotoshogiku and Endo served up something special today.

Comment

That K-E bout may have been the non-Enho highlight of the basho.

What's interesting this basho is how the top end of the maegashira are holding up - the top 4 doing much better than usual is my take. Hokutofuji is 7-3, Endo is 5-5 and Aoiyama and Asanoyama are 4-6 - all of them i think with their toughest matches behind them. And if it's true Abi is blocked at Komusubi, that means there is only one san'yaku spot (the suddenly-hapless Tamawashi's) up for grabs. which means some of these guys are going to be disappointed when it comes to promotions. I wonder if there's a possibility the banzuke gods make one of those exceedingly rare exceptions and allow a third Sekiwake to unjam things a bit?

Comment

Kaisei and Takayasu both now confirmed kyujo. Not sure how many are going to be left by the end....

Comment

That was kind of a boring day of sumo. Seems like we're now just marking time, waiting for Sunday's mongol-fest.

Comment

Just to get a sense of how big the decimation of the banzuke has been this time out with 4 ozeki missing: the yokozunas are both fighting M7s tomorrow and i don't know how far back I would have to go to find the last time that happened. Again, it's all going to come down to the final match between the two yoks.

Comment

Day 13 highlights here.

A perfectly executed hatakikomi was the story of the day.

Comment

Tomokaze has never been machi-koshi, in his entire career. Not even Hakuho can say that.

Comment

He also holds a career unbeaten record against Kakuryu.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X