• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Garrison is over the moon at the idea

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1B7stRkYDg]
      This "reprimand" to Hakuho (not to mention docking his Oyakata's salary) is ridiculous.
      Hakuho costs the Sumo federation so much money every month they try to do this shit every chance they can get.

Enter the wonderful world of rikishi compensation calculations and you'll see what i mean.
      Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 24-04-2019, 19:33.

Comment

deleted (double post)
        Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 24-04-2019, 19:34.

Comment

Extremely interesting. Thank you.

Comment

A master of the bow at work.

This is Satonofuji, who retired several years ago, but was convinced to do his thing for the crowd in his home prefecture.

[URL]https://twitter.com/azechiazechi/status/1119849457456050176?s=21[/URL]

Comment

John Gunning has lost his damn mind.

Comment

I wondered if you had seen that.

Comment

Insert sad face emoji

[URL]https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1122212449720119296?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Banzuke for Natsu is out. Surprises? Tamawashi got kicked all the way down to M3W, which is a bit harsh if you ask me. Aioyama up to Komusubi, Kotoshogiku up to M1W. My boy Nishikigi is down to M9 which again I think is a bit harsh, but maybe he'll do well from there. Enho enters the charts at M14 (squeal).

Basho starts May 12. Only one yokozuna, which means it could be quite a wide-open affair. Tochinoshin needs ten wins to regain Ozeki status.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jt_sports/status/1126371408391569408?s=21[/URL]

Comment

The Natsu basho is on! Day one footage here.

Enho had a great Makuuchi debut. Aoiyama delivered a slap that could be heard in space.

Comment

ENHO MANIA! I am completely on this bandwagon.

Tochinoshin sure looks injury-free. That was an Ozeki-level pasting he laid on Chiyotaryiu.

Also: Kotoshogiku's kangaroo sumo is back! I can see him causing some havoc at the top if he is this up for it for the full 15.

A bit sad Chiyonokuni's knee has not healed - he is kyujo and unless the banzuke gods are exceptionally kind, he will start the Nagoya basho in Makushita.
                          Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 12-05-2019, 17:25.

Comment

Day two is up.

Abi manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Ryuden. Tamawashi and Mitakeumi served up something special.

Tochinoshin indeed looks very good.

Comment

That was a ridiclous loss by Abi but he seems to be incapable of fighting without leaning forward precipitously. Shit's gonna happen like that.

Comment

Day Three

A Kakuryu bout that lasts more than five seconds and a number of upsets

Comment

Enho with another kimarite that's new to me.

Comment

And to his opponent, it would appear

Comment

Enho's kimarite stats are hilarious because they have zero overlap with anyone else in the top two divisions.

really enjoyed two matches yestedray. Kotoshogiku v. Kakuryu because that synchronized headstand thing was awesome. but also the one before: Holutofuji v. Takakeisho. I though H was extremely skillfull. If you get a change to watch it again, pay close attention to H's thrusts - he keeps coming *underneath* Takakeisho's arms, pushing them upwards and thus blunting the impact of the wave-action thrusts. It disrupted the whole bull-dozer thing Takakeisho likes to do just enough that H could counter-attack (which almost no one has been able to do the last two bashos). Excellent stuff - watch some other rikishi try that one soon.

Comment

Day 4 hilights here.

Enho continues his bulldozer of awesomeness by actually *completely evading contact at the tachiai*. Just ducked undernrath the advancing Daishoho and started biting his ankles. Extraordinary.

Everyone employs the usual counter-measures against Tochinoshin, but he seems to have developed a counter-counter measure: he doesn;t seem to go straight for the belt anymore, but rather goes Oshi for a bit, trading blows until the other dude's concentration wanes a bit, *then* goes for the belt. Working so far - he's 4-0 and has a joint share of the lead.

Takakeisho did something truly extraordinary today, which was to win by yorikiri v. Mitakaeumi. Brilliant stuff because he;s not going to make yokozuna on oshidashi alone. Unfortunately it looked like something gave on his knee during the final push. I hope he is OK, but the way he limped on the way off the dojo was not good and I wouldn;t be surprised if he went kyujo.

Comment

Shitatenage. Of course. As you do.

Most entertaining.

Comment

Enho is a gift from the kami for the new Imperial Era.

The Kaisei-Tomokaze bout made me think that they had replaced the protagonists with amateurs ho had been hitting the same stash.

Asanoyama is at the top of his game.

Ichinojo is extremely difficult to beat when he toes up his opponent's arms like that. It's just elementary physics.

Tochinosin is going to regain his rank if he stays healthy. And the crowd is behind him.

Takskeisho's knee does not look like it will hold up for another ten days to me. Which is a real shame, as I wasn't aware he could win a bout like that at this level.

Kakuryu is very much enjoying being the sole Yokozuna and will take some beating here.

Comment

And Takakeisho has gone kyujo

Comment

Insomnia so watching day 5 live.

Enho is magic
                                                Nishikigi keeps getting his ass handed to him. Whatever spirit improbably propelled him up the banzuke is gone. On this form he could be in the relegation zone soon.
                                                Asanoyama is very good this tourney.
                                                Yoshikaze loses to Shodai in a bout which can only be described as "rollocking"
                                                I hope Abi can keep up this form: he looks *good*.
                                                Tochinoshin 5-0. I think this yusho is his.
                                                We really are back to crap Ichinojo

Comment

That Abi slapfest was great.

Looking forward to the inevitable Tochinoshin-Kakuryu showdown.

Day five footage, in case anyone else needs the link.

Comment

The word of Day 6 is uwatehineri. In other news, Nishikigi and Shohozan delivered something special, and Ichinojo versus Tochinoshin was a great example of an immovable object meeting an immovable object.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X