No announcement yet.

How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparency is not a notable feature of Japanese society, though. I kind of like the mystery and intrigue.

Comment

Have either of you read the Brian Phillips essay about sumo? It's in his book I just got from the library.

Comment

I read it when he first wrote it As virtually everything he does, it is very well written.

Comment

Distressing details on Hakuho’s condition and the authorities’ response.

The decision to go kyujo came after he found he could no longer sleep at night, due to the pain and inflammation in his knee, and it was clear that he was going to require medical intervention, and possibly additional surgery.

This was bad enough, but following the basho, the YDC decided once again to put their foot in their collective mouths. In a post-meeting statement, (thanks to Kintamayama) outgoing chairman and Colonel Sanders Cosplayer Kitamura had this to say: They were doing proper sumo before they went kyujo and there was no sign of any serious injury. Some members noted that it was a bit strange. The Kyokai’s appointed doctor was the one who should be signing the certificates and not their individual doctors and some others said they would like to see a more objective certificate stating exactly how many days of rest they need..”
          Herouth at Tachiai is an absolutely invaluable resource for Anglophones.

Comment

The whole site is genius. A little overkill on the undercard ubernerdery during bashos, but apart from that genius.

One of the terrifying things about Herouth is that he(?) only started getting into sumo when I did, about two years ago, which you'd never guess from his(?) depth of knowledge.

Comment

She/her

Herouth
              A software developer from Israel, and a sumo obasan in her free time. Twitter handle is @SumoFollower.

Comment

So, Urs, been meaning to ask - now that you've gone and watched a basho start to finish: what did you think?

Comment

I’m pretty much hooked, but then I’m on a Japan kick at the moment

Comment

The best kind of kick. Hoping to go back for Hatsu next year.

Comment

Banzuke for Osaka is out. Endo is somehow M1 while Abi is M6. This despite them having had identical records last time from an almost identical position. Weird.

Comment

And the lads are back.

The last basho of the Hesei Era (i.e., before the current Emperor's abdication next month) began today in the wonderfully says what it is on the tin Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium (aka EDION Arena for sponsorship).

I won't post spoilers, but here are

Nice video from Chris Gould on the era in sumo followed by highlights of the four biggest bouts.

Full set of top flight highlights (Japanese commentary, English graphics).

Comment

Ah, it's good to have a basho. Merci for the links!

Comment

Everyone in the top division is healthy for this basho except Chiyonokuni who is still recovering from having Ikioi fall on his knee last basho. He should be back in May, but will start down in Juryo when he does. Hope he is back soon.

Terunofuji is fighting his first basho since last May. He won his first bout yesterday...in Jonidan (5th division). It is a long way back up.

Enho, ranked at Juryo 2 this time out, has started 2-0. That means effectively he is only six wins away from Makuuchi. This to me is incredibly exciting.

Ishiura is back in Makuuchi and not looking like shit for a change. In fact, his day 1 win vs. Kotoeko was probably match of the day.

One of the big subplots this time is the Ozeki situation and specifically: how many will there be come May? Takakeisho is probably 10 wins away (maybe 11) from status; Tamawashi is probably 11 wins away (maybe 12). Tochinoshin is both kadoban and fairly clearly not in top condition. In theory, we could therefore have anywhere between two (Goeido and Takayasu) and five. I think five is really hard to pitcture (for the two Sekiwake to amass enough wins to get promotion, they probably both have to beat Tochinoshin, which makes 8 wins for him difficult). My guess, after two days: there will be three, with Tochinoshin going down (he must still have some kind of leg issue because he has no power and is getting blown off the tachiai) and Takakeisho, currently in total bulldozer form, going up (strong possibility he is the next yokozuna, tbh)

Hakuho appears healthy and has said his main goal for the year is to win both the last basho of the Heisei era and the first basho of the next (yet-to-be-named) era. If he stays healthy, there is no reason to think he won't do both: there's still nobody else close to his class (Kakuryuu is not looking convincing, possibly the result of injuries).
                            Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 11-03-2019, 09:03.

Comment

An example of why everyone should be excited about Enho

[URL]https://twitter.com/baseddongeezus/status/1104896171473096704?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Day 2 hilights

Comment

Bout of the day was probably the epic stalemate between Takayasu and Mitakeumi, at 11:30 of AG's link.

Comment

A decent red vase painter could have finished his outlines while they were locked in the same position

Comment

Enho climbs to 3-0. Takayasu loses. So do Tamawashi and Tochinoshin (he just *cannot* lay a hand on anyone's belt at the moment), both now 1-2. Hakuho looking unbeatable. Match of the day was Mitakaeumi -Takakeisho, Hilights here

Comment

A number of fine bouts (and some upsets) on Day 3 of Haru

I find it helpful to watch the bouts along with the excellent daily previews from Tachiai.

Today's bouts from the second tier are here.

Comment

Thanks for the Juryo link. Chiyomaru's new neon lime mawashi burns my eyes.

Comment

Not working great for him either . . .

Comment

The day 4 bouts, with Japanese commentary, can be found here.

Having beaten three fellow Juryo's, Enho was fed to a Maegashira today: Kotoeko put an end to his perfect streak. It's fascinating to see someone in this tournament who is not much heavier than me: Endo's 100kg make him look pint-sized compared to the majority of the field. Fellow featherweight (115kg) Ishiura goes up to 4-0 by a well-timed move out of Kagayaki's way. Takakeisho-Hokutofuji was a lovely example of how a bout can ebb and flow, while Tochinoshin-Nishikigi ended in a clash between two immovable objects.

Ishiura joins Kotoshokigu, Goeido, Ichinojo, and Hakuho at 4-0; the latter took a dive into several rows of spectators.

Comment

Interesting variety of styles and techniques on display today. Tochinosin's bout had elements of a medieval trial by ordeal, as the Georgian is manifestly using the very last bits of his resources in his attempt to stay up while very much below full strength.

Goeido is really putting on a show for his home crowd.

Comment

Day 5 bouts are here, this time with new capturing software and hence without the glitches (N.B.: I'm just passing on the information; this reads as if I might be making the videos but I definitely do not).

Thank you, Kevin!: Show
                                                  Four rikishi maintain a perfect score: Kotoshogiku, Ichinojo, Goeido, and Hakuho.

Meisei-Yago was a good one, though one does wonder who was strangling that cat in the stands. Shohozan displayed a decent judo move.

The pairings remain a mystery to me. Nishikigi, at Maegashira 3, has so far only fought with two Sekiwake and three Ozeki. It's no wonder that he stands at 0-5 right now; isn't it about time he gets paired with someone roughly his own rank? Shodai, also at Maegashira 3, has fought ranks M4, M4, M5, M5, and now finally a single Ozeki.
                                                  Last edited by Wouter D; 14-03-2019, 12:52.

Comment

Cheers Wouter. To do the spoiler thing now you need the opening tag to read [spoiler=*] where * is some text that appears before the spoiler button.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X