Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Ichoinojo undefeated at 6-0 in Juryo. His sumo is looking very good this basho.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    To answer my own question, yes!

Have not caught up with the top division results of day 5 but the Juryo division looks in interesting with Tochinoshin, Ichinojo, Asanoyama plus others. Keep an eye out for Ochai, a 19 year old rookie in ex-Hakohou's stable. He's so much of a rookie, he hasn't even grew a topknot yet. He won division three in his January and is now in the salaried ranks. He is now 4-1 after beating former next big thing, Tomokaze, who is working his way back up the ranks from injury.

Natto Sumo video of today's Juryo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvziyN_fFqo

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    So the March basho begins on Sunday. Does anyone know if Kintamayama will be putting youtube vids up? If not, how will i watch?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That does seem strange, especially given the general thinness of the top ranks

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    March Banzuke is out. Asanoyama is still in juryo which I find a bit odd.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Shite, isn't it? I always watched Kintayamama. And Jason's channels has loads of bouts on it.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1621573427940233219?t=m3-NZ4zjaTFSalec83Q_oQ&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Takakeisho a deserved winner. Although, probably hasn't done enough for a Yokozuna promotion. Lets see how he does next basho...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1616362140277051392?s=61&t=cOiMW6dGL_L1uHZSZJ_euQ

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    SPOILERS for today....

Takakeishou, who lost yesterday, bounces back to beat Onoshou. Now there are three rikishi who have a 10-3 record with two days remaining. Exciting!

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Yeah, he look very assured to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    All three win again today, but for me Hoshoryu has been the man of the tournent so far.

Incredible for a 23 year old

[https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1613126095146188801?t=OJ7TaqP2s4AHZM0Hrzqmpw&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Day three done. Reigning champ Abi is 3-0. Takakeishou bounced back from yesterday's loss with an impressive win. Hoshoryu looking good aswell.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Bump!

A new years means the Hatsu Basho begins on January 8th. Only one Ozeki on the Banzuke.

Also there is fresh scandal. Ichinojo is out for violating Covid regulations (nothing to do with his previous controversies) and Isegahama Okayata is suspended following a bulling scandal in his stable.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Yeah, deffo. And in injuries in general. Two old guys in a wheelchair.

Yutakayama has retired at 29 years old.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Sumo makes rugby look progressive when it comes to concussion

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    The only reason to feel good about Abi winning, I reckon, is that had he lost to Takakeisho in the playoff, the sumo federation would definitely have tried to make a concussed Takayasu get on the dohyo for a final bout..

This is, apparently, the first time in sumo history that three conscutive yushos have been won by non-Sanyaku (ie not of komusubi rank or above) rikishi. And with Shodai's long-overdue demotion I believe it's the first time in a century or so since there have only been two fighters with rank of Ozeki or higher. The top of the table is pretty dire. Hoshoryu, Wakatakatage and Kiribayama are the future but they are probably still a year or two away from really making it into the Ozeki ranks.
    Yeah, I did think this. The checks on Takayasu after the playoff hardly looked vigorous.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It is grim

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    The only reason to feel good about Abi winning, I reckon, is that had he lost to Takakeisho in the playoff, the sumo federation would definitely have tried to make a concussed Takayasu get on the dohyo for a final bout..

This is, apparently, the first time in sumo history that three conscutive yushos have been won by non-Sanyaku (ie not of komusubi rank or above) rikishi. And with Shodai's long-overdue demotion I believe it's the first time in a century or so since there have only been two fighters with rank of Ozeki or higher. The top of the table is pretty dire. Hoshoryu, Wakatakatage and Kiribayama are the future but they are probably still a year or two away from really making it into the Ozeki ranks.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He sure did, and appears to have injured him in the process

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Poor Takayasu!

Dunno how to feel about Abi winning. He is a deserved winner after winning three bouts in one day. I do like him, but did he henka Takayasu?

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Houshouryuu sole leader followed by Oho and Takayasu.

I hope Takayasu wins it.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Great bout between Tobizaru and Takakeisho today, with the former winning.
    Yep, just caught up with yesterdays action. Still wide open at this stage.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Great bout between Tobizaru and Takakeisho today, with the former winning.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    After four days, no one is unbeaten. The basho is a free for all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X