• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I have missed the first week.

Is Hakuōhō​ for real?

6-2 is a ridiculous record for a rikishi who has been a professional for six months.
    Him and Gonyouyama are the real deal.

Anyone catch the Tobizaru-Kirishima bout? What a strange one indeed.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I have missed the first week.

Is Hakuōhō​ for real?

6-2 is a ridiculous record for a rikishi who has been a professional for six months.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    I felt bad for Terunofuji, you could see him reach down and grab both knees immediately after the bout. It looks like knee issues are the equivalent in rikishi to cervical arthritis in cyclists, an occupational disease.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
    Is it just me here this week?!
    I'm lurking.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Is it just me here this week?!

Terunofuji is out of this basho...

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    First of all, Jason, Natto and Kinta are all seemingly for now back on YouTuber...Kinta is under the name Mord Dresner.

I've caught up with the day two highlights and just caught the final bout of day three. Terunofuji ragdolled by Nishikigi and beaten in a Match of The Year candidate by Tobizaru. Terunofuji dosen't look quite right to me...

Haven't saw the rest of todays action but the rookies are doing well so far.

The Ozeki, Kirishima will return for day four tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    No Ozeki now....Kiribayama as he was formerly known is also out.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    July Basho starts on Sunday. Takakeishou and Wakatakakage are kjujo!

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Also Kiribayama is now Ozeki and will henceforth be known as Kirishima!

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The GOAT appears to agree with Gramsci

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1662949803171409921?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Some fantastic bouts yesterday, especially Ura the matrix and Wakamotoharu

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Abi...wow.

And a classic between Missing and Hokuseiho!

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Hokuseiho is very good, yes. Ochiai is better, I think. And they will have even more of an advantage when they are both together at the top of the banzuke since as stable-mates they cannot be drawn against each other.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    Hokuseiho looks like the next big thing doesn't he? In every sense of the phrase.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    I think if I had to put money on this yusho it would be for Asanoyama. I'm not sure I trust Teru's knees.

Have spent a lot of time thinking about Tochisnoshin and his retirement interview where he said he had become "fearful" of wrestling because of his inability to generate power. I've been sad all day. His push up to Ozeki was one of the things that got me really excited about sumo and losing him...I dunno, it's just hit me kind of hard.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Three on 6-0...this is a very good basho. Terunofuji looks very good indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Daughter and I pretty distraught about Tochinoshin. Sad day but almost certainly for the best. Suspect Chiyonokuni is next.

That said, I am loving this basho. Midorifuji, who followed up his 10-win start in Osaka with 10 straight losses, broke his duck today. Hokuseiho (5-1) is the real thing. Kiribayama - whose style feels increasingly like the second coming of Harumafuji, is half-way to Ozeki with five wins. Takakeisho's ability to grind out wins while barely being able to stand is pretty impressive. And we're still on track for a Day 15 Musubi no ichiban between Asanoyama and Godzilla (both 6-0...Meisei is also undefeated but that won;t last more than another day or two).
    Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 19-05-2023, 12:16.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    Not yet, no. It looks cheap but potentially hilarious - what;s your take?
    Just watched the first episode. Thought it was pretty good tbh

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    My favourite ever Rikishi...Tochinoshin has retired. What a great career he has had.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    It's a platform called Rumble.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Where? I can still watch Natto but I prefer Kinta's cuts.

After four days this feels like a great basho. Teru, Asa, Daieisho all 4-0. Kiri 3-1. We've got the possibility of 2 new Ozeki at the end of this basho. It just feels more like the old days, when there were a few big beasts who would just show up basho after basho and dominate straight through to the final weekend. Loving it.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    Just watching the first day's highlights (seems strange not to have kintamayama around). Thoughts:

A) Asanoyama is just going to bulldoze his way to the top. Not impossible he gets there within 6 bashos. He is just so much more powerful than anyone in the top division other than Teru
    B) The Daishoho-Hokuseiho match might be the longest match I have ever watched.
    C) Onosho - Hiradoumi was AWESOME. Onosho with an incredibly powerful charge at the tachiai but still lost.
    D) Ditto Kotonowaka - Tobizaru. That tsukiotoshi at the end was "chef's kiss"
    E) Kiribayama - nice! still on a roll.
    F) Teru is back. Hope he can go the full 15.
    Kinta still posts videos but on a different platform now

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Asanoyama and Terunofuji both 3-0. We should probably just skip to the end where they are both 12-2 and face each other on the final day.

Ochiai is fantastic. Only his third basho and he's a real threat to win the juryo yusho. He's going to be Miyagino's (ex-Hakuho) first Ozeki for sure.

I think this is probably Chiyonokuni's last basho. The quickness is still mostly there but the balance is not.
    Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 16-05-2023, 11:56.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Just watching the first day's highlights (seems strange not to have kintamayama around). Thoughts:

A) Asanoyama is just going to bulldoze his way to the top. Not impossible he gets there within 6 bashos. He is just so much more powerful than anyone in the top division other than Teru
    B) The Daishoho-Hokuseiho match might be the longest match I have ever watched.
    C) Onosho - Hiradoumi was AWESOME. Onosho with an incredibly powerful charge at the tachiai but still lost.
    D) Ditto Kotonowaka - Tobizaru. That tsukiotoshi at the end was "chef's kiss"
    E) Kiribayama - nice! still on a roll.
    F) Teru is back. Hope he can go the full 15.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Not yet, no. It looks cheap but potentially hilarious - what;s your take?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X