• Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And Takakeisho looks to be well less than 100 percent as well

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Sad news - Terunofuji is kyujo for the upcoming basho. I think 2024 could be his last year.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Banzuke is out. The Russian Roga is in and so is Tomokaze who suffered that horrible injury a few years ago and went down to Jonidan division. I hope he does well.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Could be. He's closing in on the record for yushos without ever making Yokozuna (5).

When they were setting up at the tachiai part of me wondered whether he would try it. His previous match lasted a whole 8 seconds or so, and since he has trouble going past 10 I was thinking about how he could possibly go another 5-10 secs (Atamifuji probably would not have succumbed to Tsuppari-oshidashi and he doesn't seem like the type to go down to an easy hatakikomi, either, which is T's other go-to move).

Also, it was very definitely a matta, T was nowhere near having both fists on the clay. Shameful finish all around.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Part of me wonders if this is his admission that he will never reach the top rank

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Takakeisho henkas to win the yusho. The YDC is going to be livid.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Hoshoryu leg-hooks Hokuseiho. That's one contender down, and all Ozeki are now kachi-koshi. No kadoban! Rare these days.

Takakeisho dispatches Daieisho. There's our second play-off participant. Not sure how much he has left in the tank for another match, though.

Takayasu Takaysus. Like, badly. So it's just Atamifuji-Takakeisho for the playoff.

Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 24-09-2023, 08:36.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Asanoyama wins. Playoff ahoy.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    There was a 7-man playoff for the Makushita title. Apparently the way this works is that 6 get chosen to whittle themselves down to 2. (3 fights to get it down to 3, then two of them face off - not sure how they are chosen to bring it down to 2). Then the guy with the bye fights the lower-ranked of the remaining two, and the winner of that fight goes into a final with the remaining dude. Anyways, Hitoshi won and is promoted to Juryo.

Ichiyamamoto won the juryo yusho.

So Atamifuji, fighting in his first basho in Makuuchi, and only his 18th basho ever, just has to win his bout against Asanoyama to win the title today. If he loses, he will face a play-off with *at least* the winner of the Daieisho-Takakeisho bout. Hokuseiho and Takayasu could join the playoff if they win their respective Ozeki bouts against Hoshoryu and Kirishima (unlikely, if you ask me, but we will see). 18 Bashos to a title would be an all-time record, by the way. No one previously has done it in less than 24.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    Ok, now we have a yusho race. Atamifuji loses (10-2) and Takayasu wins (9-3).

I will be happy for Takayasu if he finally wins something. Still have trouble convincing myself it can happen - he;s usually the one doing the choking.

Aoiyama lost today, meaning Danny is definitely out of the top division now. I confess feeling myself drifting away from the sport a bit as the last of the generation that was at the top of the banzuke when i began watching (and began this thread!) six years ago pass from the scene. I think we're now down to Takayasu, Tamawashi, Kagayaki,Takarafuji and Hokutofuji. Maybe Daieisho and Takakeisho were there too, I forget. Anyways, I just tend to have it on in the background when t have insomnia now, rather than seeking out regular daily packages.
    Last edited by Anton Gramscescu; 21-09-2023, 08:54.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    I know he lost yesterday but can Takayasu do it? I won't be surprised if the winner has two losses, or if there is another play-off.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    I try to forget that basho, it was terrible in so many ways.

A number of good matches today, but Kirishima's win over Asanoyama was very good indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Who can forget the infamous moment when he won the yusho? Cannot believe it was way back on January 2020!

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/stat...TP4qzw8OA&s=19

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied

https://twitter.com/sumo_tim/status/1701210033009385760?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow]

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    My guess for this basho is that it will be Kirishima and Asanoyama duelling down to the wire.

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Gunna be another free for all

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Ooof

https://twitter.com/gsumobreakdown/status/1700149274799993307?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Originally posted by Anton Gramscescu View Post
    That was an unusually riveting Nagoya basho, which is usually the weakest of the six because of the unberable heat.

It was fun while it lasted but Nishikigi was never going to keep up that level for a full 15 days. 10 wins is good though - he will take Abi's spot as Komusubi and that;s not a level to which I ever thought I'd see him rise.

I loved every second watching Hakuoho. Only his fourth basho and he was a hair away from winning it all. So, so, impressive.

Daieisho and Wakamotoharu were disappointing in the last week. Both finished with 9 weeks which means, barring a yusho in Aki that they have both had their Ozeki clocks re-set. If I had to guess who the next Ozeki would be, it would probably by Asanoyama (though don't count out Hakuoho).

But Hoshoryu! Finally! This was the breakout tournament he's been waiting for. I think he'll be in the top ranks for a long long time. (All Mongolian Ozekis have subsequently risen to Yokozuna so there is form here - easy to see a world in about three years' time when Hoshoryu and Kirishima are both Yokozuna, possibly alongside Hakuoho).
    Hakuoho is going to the top. No doubt about it. We are witnessing a future great. Hopefully Kirishima heals up for September and posts a winning record to escape kabodan status.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied
    That was an unusually riveting Nagoya basho, which is usually the weakest of the six because of the unberable heat.

It was fun while it lasted but Nishikigi was never going to keep up that level for a full 15 days. 10 wins is good though - he will take Abi's spot as Komusubi and that;s not a level to which I ever thought I'd see him rise.

I loved every second watching Hakuoho. Only his fourth basho and he was a hair away from winning it all. So, so, impressive.

Daieisho and Wakamotoharu were disappointing in the last week. Both finished with 9 weeks which means, barring a yusho in Aki that they have both had their Ozeki clocks re-set. If I had to guess who the next Ozeki would be, it would probably by Asanoyama (though don't count out Hakuoho).

But Hoshoryu! Finally! This was the breakout tournament he's been waiting for. I think he'll be in the top ranks for a long long time. (All Mongolian Ozekis have subsequently risen to Yokozuna so there is form here - easy to see a world in about three years' time when Hoshoryu and Kirishima are both Yokozuna, possibly alongside Hakuoho).

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Well now

Hakuoho, Hoshoryu and Hokutofuji all 11-3 going into the final day

The first pair will go head to head. Hokutofuji gets Nishkigi.

Chances of a playoff are high.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    He's got Hokutofuji tomorrow

Win that and anything is possible

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Hakuoho has beat Nishikigi today....Can he?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Gramsci is having a moment

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Nishikigi yusho? He now has ten wins.

Prodigy Hakuoho has his kachikoshi

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    Most of the rikishi look like nice blokes, but Ryuden looks every inch a Yakuza hitman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X