No announcement yet.

How about a sumo thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoiyama (big Danny) is kyujo after starting the basho 0-6. I have a feeling retirement is just around the corner. No more Europeans in makuuchi, I guess, unless Shishi figures out how to move up from Juryo (I am skeptical),

Comment

This is genuinely Old Time Sumo! A Sekiwake at 10-1. Two Ozeki plus Godzilla at 9-2. None of them have faced each other yet. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are going to be bananas.

Comment

Tomorrow...Terunofuji Vs Konotowaka and Kirishima Vs Houshoutyu!
        ​​

Comment

Tobizaru was robbed...Ura touched the ground with his pinkie!

Comment

Ooof

Hoshoryu kyujo

Terunofuji gets the walkover

Comment

I just saw that but didn't see what the issue is - an injury v. Kirishima or something else (I haven;t been able to watch yesterday's matches yet)?

Comment

He came into the tournament with a knee injury suffered in tour and exacerbated it against Kirishima.

His grimace and delay in getting up after the denouement of that bout had me worried from the jump.

Comment

Thinking about possible outcomes here:

Kotonowaka: if he wins, he gets the promotion to Ozeki and at least a share of the championship (if Teru wins, there's a play-off, if teru loses Koto wins he gets the yusho outright). If he loses....maybe? A loss would mean 32 wins over 3 bashos, with the first basho being only 9 wins...I have a feeling that's not enough. But if he loses and Kiri forces a 3-way playoff that Koto wins...probably? It's not clear.

Kirishima: If he wins and Koto loses, then we've got a three-way playoff which would of course be awsome in and of itself. A win via a play-off makes Kiri a Yokozuna. A loss via a playoff? I don;t know if that's enough for a rope. The standard is two consecutive yushos "or equivalent". Teru made Yokozuna with a yusho plus a losing 14-1. I don't know if a 12-3 would cut it, even if it was the same tally as the eventual winner).

Still lots to fight for, though.

Comment

Godzilla it is.

Comment

Teru just too strong.

He will get at least ten.

Comment

Terunofuji absolutely old manned Kirishima today.

Oh and Ura...love that guy. No idea what that kimitite was but that was super impressive.

Comment

Four ozeki for Osaka

Comment

So...Hokuseiho eh?

Comment

What a complete mess

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                What a complete mess
                                Agreed - No one has come out of this well at all.

Comment

Chris Sumo has been providing what I think is helpful context on YouTube.

He has a definite point of view, but also a lot of knowledge.

Comment

Missed most of day one but caught up with yesterdays (day 2) action. Some exciting bouts including some big upsets.

Comment

What is going on with Kirishima? 0 for 3 so far...

Comment

0-4 as of yesterday.

Teru 2 and 2 now and is Endo the matrix?

Comment

Takerufuji and Oonosato killing it. They face each other tomorrow

Comment

And still at it

Takerufuji 11-0 in his top flight debut, Onosato 9-2 after blasting Takekeisho out of the ring today

This could be historic

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1770737395639386333?s=20

Comment

Takerufuji loses and leaves in a wheelchair due to an ankle injury. Oonosato can still win it but if he loses we will be on the bizarre position of Takerufuji winning the basho despite not (possibly) competing on the final day.

This has apparently happened once before in the seventies. What a anticlimax...

Comment

And Take has done it...what an achievement!!!

Comment

Remarkable

His bout today was no cakewalk

https://twitter.com/thesumosoul/status/1771800577380385161?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Comment

Working...
                                                    X