Depression in sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression in sport

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this across sport in general*, apologies if I've missed it.

An excellent and important interview with Sarah Taylor, in which she is admirably open about her experiences over the past few years. I found it genuinely moving in places. Huge respect to her for speaking out publicly, and for the way she has (and continues to) fought back. It seems she received excellent support from within the sport, which reflects well on the individuals concerned but also the culture behind the scenes (FA take note).

If we take these figures as a benchmark, the number of athletes suffering/coping in silence must be fairly significant.

* There might be one in football, but I CBA to look

Sebastian Deisler of course. He was such a tidy player. And now Aaron Lennon. Can't imagine an iota of sympathy from old school coaches like Fergie and Clough, and the relentless focus on maximizing profit and short term results over welfare means I'm a bit sceptical things are much better now unless the club has a very good setup.

Comment

Steven Caulker gave an excellent interview in the Guardian about his battles.

Comment

Clarke Carlisle as well.

Comment

And of course, dear Gary Speed.

Comment

Nathan Cartman tells his story of depression: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58330316

Comment

Working...
            X