No announcement yet.

Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last week or so I've purchased 2 Project70 cards. #51 of Tony Gwynn by Mimbandz because it was something a bit different, and number #61, which is actually of Fernando Tatis Jr. It has Tony in the background in a "gazing down from Heaven" kind of way. It's by Keith Shore who was very popular in Project 2020 and whose cards seem to still be commanding a decent price. It will be a few weeks before the cards arrive.

I've reached a point where I have no cards left to blog about. I'm on 619 cards which is 225 above my original target so I'm wondering what my next target should be. Or whether to have one at all.

Comment

I as going to suggest that Tatis card to you. It is particularly well done.

https://twitter.com/tlschwerz/status/1372219347041710084

Comment

Yes, I like the way it mirrors the image of Tony from the 1986 Topps card. I'm a bit ambivalent on the Tony in heaven angle.

Comment

Very much so

Comment

This has made me laugh. A lot.

Comment

Outstanding

Comment

I am going to be on Tea & Topps, the only regular UK card collecting livestream/ podcast tomorrow (Monday) at 9pm. It's on Facebook and Twitch anyone wants to log in. If you want a link then I can PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  I am going to be on Tea & Topps, the only regular UK card collecting livestream/ podcast tomorrow (Monday) at 9pm. It's on Facebook and Twitch anyone wants to log in. If you want a link then I can PM you.
                  I won't be able to listen to the livestream, but definitely PM the link if it is going to be archived - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post

I won't be able to listen to the livestream, but definitely PM the link if it is going to be archived - thanks!
                    PM sent

Comment

I don't know if this is real.

Comment

Man, the Blue Jays are really going all in on sons of major leaguers

Comment

So the big news today is Topps launching their new NFT trading cards. These are "virtual" uncopyable images that can be transferred a bit like cryptocurrency. There's all sorts of lingo that goes along with this like "blockchain" and so on. Digi wonks go nuts for this sort of thing.

This has made me realise that I am an analog boy at heart because I couldn't GAFF about this. To me, it has as much appeal as collecting "baseball cards" by right-clicking save on a google images search.

An interesting factoid though: Topps apparently get 20% of any sell on fees so every time this gets sold on they get a cut. I can see the appeal although I already see people selling them eBay to circumvent the official system and avoid the fees. Thinking how often a card most change hands during its lifetime and every time the manufacturer get a percent cut is a corporate executive's dream.

In other news, a packet of real baseball cards arrived today which takes my Tony Gwynn collection on over 670 cards. (I need to go through them and check them to find out how many are new) At this rate I will have added 500 cards since I started my blog on 9 May last year.

Comment

Today I posted my 1st anniversary blog and blogged my last card that was waiting to be blogged. 672 cards on there now.

I was hoping to have a Project 70 card to blog about but the guy I bought them off posted them second class with royal mail and they are lost in the system somewhere. It's been 2 weeks. I've given up hoping they will turn up.

I feel a bit disillusioned with the hobby at the moment. The new releases all feel very samey. I think Project 70 is too expensive and ambitious. The enthusiasm for it seems to have dropped. But my feelings of disillusionment might be more to just being a bit depressed and fed up generally. Life is very samey and boring at the moment.

Comment

I am not sure that you realise just how impressive that is from a variety of perspectives.

I tip my cap to you.

Comment

Thanks ursus arctos

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't at your best, but your feelings about the state of the hobby are very widely shared over here.

Though much of the nonsense is reflective of a broader issue with the lotteryisation of "investing" and the ubiquity of hype.

Comment

Thanks ursus arctos
                                    Ironically I've just bought a small lot of cards off the Facebook group because there was a 1985 O-Pee-Chee Tony Gwynn card in it so my major hasn't completely gone.

And who knows. If the two other missing packets turn up tomorrow I might feel a bit sunnier.

Comment

Card frenzy in Milwaukee - https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...e-area-target/

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I don't know if this is real.

I have a number of this guy's card. I'm assuming that's his actual signature, though he does seem to be having fun w/ the "L"

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                          That's a scary story in more ways than one.

Comment

Target are now removing trading cards from the shelves.

In other news I have had a new card in the post on 2 consecutive days. One card took 14 days to travel from Bristol to Cardiff in the post. I could have walked there to pick it up in that time. I also had 2 people message me yesterday offering me cards I didn't have which lifted my spirits a bit.

Comment

Both the cards people offered me on Tuesday arrived today so I have had baseball card post 3 days in a row.

Comment

I just bought a birthday present for myself on COMC. 20 vintage Giants cards dating back from Monte Irvin's 1954 Topps to the 1972 Willie Mays Topps (his final Giants card), following on from a purchase last week of another 18 cards (mostly Red Sox) from a 1966 Orlando Cepeda Topps to a 1985 Dewey Evans. I've got the 1972 In Action cards for Yaz, Mays and Seaver.

A birthday present because they won't arrive until mid-October (my birthday is the 21st), such is the vicissitudes of COMC. But I'm excited for it. They weren't that expensive ($81 combined for 38 cards) although getting any Willie Mays card is hard (first world problems, eh?) because he's an order of magnitude pricier than anybody else; the 1972 and 1973 Topps are really the only remotely affordable cards of his career. His inserts are somewhat cheaper, and I will probably spring for this at about $20 at some point:

However, some inserts are pricier. Like this one, which I will call Boomer Catnip and goes for a cool $85-100:

Comment

That is a quality haul at a reasonable price.

I absolutely loved those combination inserts with the Runyonesque titles

Comment

Yeah, and that includes $10 for shipping, and the Mays card was twice as pricey as any other card (the '54 Irvin) at $10. I managed to snag at least one card from every Topps set from 1954-1979, excepting 1964 (I got an Orlando Cepeda giant card instead), 1970 and 1973. That's the golden age of Topps. Most have slightly rounded corners, but I just take that as a symbol of love rather than carelessness.

There are some rather amusing inserts. This was a late subtraction from my shopping cart, it's got fantastic Googie styling and is the most affordable Mays insert. But Rigney (who was young enough to be Mays's teammate) would probably be the first to say he didn't need to mentor Willie Mays:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X