No announcement yet.

Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to an earlier post, I agree with UA: you spend what you think it right. I used to collect baseball cards but game most of them away to a friend. I never spent a lot because I wasn't a serious collector but I liked the Topps reprint cards so the 25 cents here and there added up, but never in a serious way. I have had a longer term focus on collecting football DVDs and the most I have spent was probably around $100 but I was part of a pool of people buying from Globo Brasil archive and that probably worked out to $10-15 per game.

My most famous baseball contemporary at my high school was Ryan Klesko. He was one year behind me. We went to the same primary school and high school.

Comment

Hey, he used to play for the Padres. Decent player.

I'm writing a blog post about Topps Kids from 1992 which is probably my favourite ever set.

Comment

That was during the time that I was collecting, but I don't think I bought those at all. I definitely thought that Upper Deck was the best and I probably thought that I was too cool for something like Topps Kids.

Comment

Today's blog post is my 50th. (The Topps Kids post will go up tomorrow)

Comment

Today's blog post is my 100th. Up to 272 cards on the blog (which is more than I had when I started blogging!)
            Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 16-08-2020, 08:39.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Vegas Dave 4 million dollar baseball card story?

Vegas Dave seems like a character.

Comment

Patrick Thistle I'll take the Honus Wagner or Mickey Mantle rookie any day.

Comment

Posted my 300th card on the blog today. Cal Alamein -did you see the list of thank yous in my 100th post last week?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Posted my 300th card on the blog today. Cal Alamein -did you see the list of thank yous in my 100th post last week?
                    You are most welcome! As always, send me any cards that you need (70s and 80s especially) and I will dig through my collection to see if I can help out.

Comment

I’d be interested in the blog, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                        I’d be interested in the blog, too.
                        DM sent. Cheers.

Comment

Would like a gander at yer blog also

Comment

After 152 daily blog posts I've reached my target of blogging about 394 Tony Gwynn cards.

Comment

Patrick Thistle One more for ya. This set looks sharp, but will be pricey. I thought the $25 was for the set, not for a pack.

https://www.topps.com/2020-topps-x-s...StwNw&ranSiteI D=TnL5HPStwNw-qCUA4V.gLPpclZRCNgzkNQ

Tony Gwynn is #54 on the checklist.

Career stats vs. year by year is lame.

Comment

I've seen some chatter about that. Bit weird to have players who weren't playing in the 70s in the set imo

Tony has featured on over 500 cards released this year. (If you count all the super short prints and 1/1 cards)

Comment

The guy who runs that account has been straying into the 80s (even early 90s) for a while now.

Comment

I've seen some chatter about that. Bit weird to have players who weren't playing in the 70s in the set imo

Tony has featured on over 500 cards released this year. (If you count all the super short prints and 1/1 cards)
                                    This is where I found out about it:

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1319009384157057024

Comment

I'm up to 429 cards on my blog btw. Still got some to go.

Comment

Had another card in the post today. Although I'm going to reach 450 cards on the blog tomorrow, the one that arrived today was my 520th card. I started the year with less than 120 cards so have acquired over 400.

Got two more packages on the way as well.

Comment

To someone who grew up collecting in the era of the Topps monopoly, that is really hard to get my head around

Comment

One of my packages is in the UK and heading to my house. The other will probably get here end of the month. I've also had another card arrive yesterday. I might top 550 cards by December.

Comment

I’ll need to post some of my collection, since lockdown and furlough has turned me into a crack addict for cards again. I’m about 60 cards off completing the 325 card Archives base set, which is old designs and a mix of current and retired players. Partick has probably figured out who I am on the UK collectors Facebook group.

we are definitely in a second junk wax era. Topps have produced something like 30 sets this year and the explosion in the hobby from lockdown/furlough/no MLB until late July is an obvious bubble. There seems to be about a 50% decline in price for valuable short prints every year. In short, that McCutchen short print, which was maybe THE card this year, will be going for about $20 in a couple years.

Comment

Sorry, Flynnie , I didnt realise you were in the group. Send me a DM on Messenger though. It's pretty obvious who I am as I post links to my blog on there.

Also Topps have released a UK edition today! That's another indicator that we are in Junk Wax II - the last time they tried to launch baseball cars over here was in the late 80s (I think).

Comment

The Topps UK edition includes 25 inserts of UK icons. One of the cards is of Margaret Thatcher.

Comment

The Topps UK edition includes 25 inserts of UK icons. One of the cards is of Margaret Thatcher.
                                                    ?!?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X