Baseball cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick Thistle

Gracias for the most excellent Wales Christmas card!

Give a holler anytime there's a card from the 70s and 80s that you may be missing and/or if you are interested in completing another set. Your interest in cards has got me doing a bit more organizing of my collection which is something I had not done in years (decades?).

Comment

Thanks Cal Alamein Glad it got there!

I am considering having a run at completing the Topps 1984 set. I haven't decided yet. I'm also getting towards the end of my stock of Tony Gwynn cards for the blog. I'm not sure how actively to continue pursuing that next year. It's been a great pandemic project though.

Comment

I got sent this

Comment

Have you ever counted how many different uniforms Gwynn wore on cards?

Comment

No I haven't done that.

Not yet anyway

Comment

My guess is that he would be near the top for any single team for his era, given the Padres' frequent changes and his longevity with San Diego.

Comment

I've definitely got cards of him in white, brown, white with brown pinstripes, grey road, white with blue pinstripes, blue alternate, blue training, so that's 7 plus the team jacket

Comment

Posted my 250th blog post today; and my 574th card. Have no cards left to blog so waiting for new ones to arrive before blogging again. It won't take long.

Comment

Some new cards arrived. Including the middle one of these three.

Comment

That's a nice card.

I am generally no a huge fan of A&G, but that is an exception.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the set. However the X card in the centre is the 5th one I now own of that card.

Comment

This sounds like it's going to be a cool project.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUm19AFGfE/

One of my favorite local muralists is part of it.

https://twitter.com/never1959/status/1352371469628579841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1352371469628579841%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.beckett.com%2Fnews%2Ftopps-project70%2F

Comment

Tbh it feels to me like another overpriced cash cow for Topps. Of course if there's a Tony Gwynn card in there....

Comment

That’s just Project 2020 for 2021. I have a couple of those cards, but I might give this a pass... unless there’s one I really like.

Comment

Got my first Tony Gwynn card released in 2021

Comment

Nice card

I really can't keep up with everything they are releasing

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Nice card

I really can't keep up with everything they are releasing
                                    Don't think. Buy Stonks.

Comment

Very clean 74 topps of TG. Will they have another version with "WASHINGTON" and "NAT'L LEA." version as well? Here's the link to how the Padres almost bailed to DC after only a few years in San Diego. https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...umped-the-gun/

Dug up screen shots of two Padres (and an ex) that I specifically remember from that series. Typical awful airbrush on the portrait of Stretch. No attempt to hide previous uniforms of Glenn or Jerry. That Morales card is really really crisp.

Comment

Good questions Cal Alamein

It's an anachronistic template. I would have preferred if they had done a Dave Winfield one but he's not in the insert series. There are a lot of current players in the series but even so I feel if they are using historical players then it makes more sense to put them in templates they were originally on.

They also released a card of Tony in the 74 template last year in the Archives series so I'll getting a small subcollection of them. I've also got a card with him in the 75 template.

Comment

Someone posted on Facebook that if you bought 1 of each card as they're released it would cost $7,000. I haven't checked the maths but it's believeable!

Comment

I didn't know they were some limited edition expensive thing. I guess that's how most everything is now, though.

Comment

Today's new addition to the collection.

Tomorrow I'll be blogging about my 600th card. The one that arrived today is my 609th.

Comment

I've completed my trinity of Tony Gwynn rookie cards with the 1983 Fleer. It's got a slightly bashed corner but I don't care. That meant it cost a bit less than the market going rate. (And boy is the market rate on baseball cards going up!)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  I've definitely got cards of him in white, brown, white with brown pinstripes, grey road, white with blue pinstripes, blue alternate, blue training, so that's 7 plus the team jacket
                                                  Was the blue pinstripes when they had the navy blue caps with the white and orange SD? I know it's not their classic look, but I liked the blue/orange/white combo.

Comment

Yes. They had brown caps with the brown pinstripes and then switched to Navy for the pinstripes caps and practice jerseys.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X