Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those cards are lovely Flynnie

Comment

Yeah, I’m excited to get them. Like you, I’m feeling a little jaded about the current state of cards, but the old ones seem to have entered my price range as a result of attention finally shifting away from them in favour of the next Tatis or Acu?a hit.

Comment

Even though I am jaded, one of the cards that arrived today was a brand new release unlicensed Panini card and I really, really like it. I think I'm just a bit fed up with the high end hit-chasing brag culture end of the hobby.

Comment

Another packet of cards arrived last week taking me to over 700 different Tony Gwynn cards. (I also have some dupes!)

Comment

Patrick Thistle I wanted to make sure you were aware of this:

https://www.homage.com/collections/t...y-gwynn-padres

Comment

The whole Topps collection looks pretty nice. I may have to splurge on the 1967 shirt and one of the Bo Jackson shirts

https://www.homage.com/collections/topps

Comment

Cheers Incandenza

I think I'm in a minority of Gwynn collectors (possibly a minority of 1) but I don't like that card at all. For one thing he's wearing the wrong number (it was a picture from spring training in 1982) and secondly, it's mainly a picture of Tony's bum.

Topps had form for producing cards of Tony that didn't show his face, name or number for his entire career.

Comment

The action shot is a bit unfortunate, it's true.

Comment

The 1982 Cal Ripken shirt is lovely mind

Comment

Well...

https://twitter.com/SABRbbcards/status/1428442740082290692?s=19

I'd have more empathy for Topps if they weren't so fucking lazy with their licensing monopoly.

Comment

This seems to be over-cooked.

The Topps licence runs through 2025 and no decision has been made not to renew it.

What does seem to be happening is a bit of a return to the days of multiple licences

Comment

I've read that the license with Fanatics will be exclusive though.

Several people in various Facebook groups I'm in are critical of Fanatics service and products so this news hasn't gone down well.

Comment

It is allegedly exclusive with the players' association, but as yet does not include anything with the clubs, which would mean no club names, logos or uniforms (which has happened before)

MLB of course has an interest in Fanatics, which would lead one to expect that will not be an issue once the Topps licence expires.

I haven't seen anyone who thinks this is good for fans or collectors.

Comment

Personally, I feel exclusive licensing has been very bad for the hobby. Panini has done OK working off just their MLBPA license but that will end if the MLBPA suddenly get exclusive with Fanatics.

Comment

Baseball cards are not a natural monopoly, and I would much rather have genuine alternatives than Topps' endless brand extensions.

Comment

Well I've just spent some money to acquire another 100 or so Tony Gwynn cards that I don't already have. Not sure the exact number of new cards I'm getting* but I know it will take me well over 800 cards in total.

*since I originally did the deal I have added a handful of the cards to my collection.
                                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 23-08-2021, 10:50.

Comment

The parcel arrived. 110 new cards, taking me up to 824 in total.

I now have a lot of scanning to do....

Comment

To someone who grew up with only one company making cards and no player having more than one card a season, that number remains staggering.

I think that my understanding of what a "baseball card" is was cemented at too young an age, too long ago for me to ever be comfortable in this version of the hobby.

Comment

Just for fun, I looked up Willie Mays on COMC and only 100 cards or so of 1,788 are actually from his playing career. Topps did have some other stuff (coins, temporary tattoos, the Giant cards, a couple of which I own) and they weren't exclusive early in his career (Bowman actually have his real rookie card).

Comment

There have been about 1000 Tony Gwynn cards released in the past 5 years (if you include all the different parallel versions of cards)

Comment

Yeah

We ain't in Kansas any more

Comment

He said Willie Mays, not Ozzie Smith (for whom there are 7000 odd)

Comment

In further news to make ursus arctos uncomfortable about modern life, a friend sent me a brand new card released this year. He'd got it in a joblot. It's a particular blue parallel version, one of FORTY TWO parallel versions released for that set.

Seriously, 42 different versions of the same card design. It's blinking ludicrous!

Comment

Same friend just sent me another card released in 2021. It's my 19th card in the collection released this year. 19 is significant, because it was Tony's number.

Comment

A person who reads my blog has sent me a box of stuff, mainly cards for me to blog about. It's going to take some considerable man hours just to log them on Trading Card Database. Good thing there's a weekend coming up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X