South Africa in England (and Wales), 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa in England (and Wales), 2017

The ODI series for South Africa's tour has already happened, as both teams warmed up for their ultimately unsuccessful Champions Trophy campaigns. The rest of the tour starts up again next week:

Three T20I matches:
    Wednesday 21 June, 1830, Southampton
    Friday 23 June, 1700, Taunton
    Sunday 25 June, 1430, Cardiff

Four Test matches:
    Thursday 6 to Monday 10 July, Lord's
    Friday 14 to Tuesday 18 July, Trent Bridge
    Thursday 27 to Monday 31 July, The Oval
    Friday 4 to Tuesday 8 August, Old Trafford

Couple of things going on from England's perspective. Bayliss has said they are looking at young players for ODI/T20I squad building, looking at the World Cup in 2019. There are five uncapped players (Dawid Malan, Liam Livingstone, Tom Curran, Mason Crane and Craig Overton) in the squad for the T20Is.

And so Root, Moeen, Stokes, Ball and Rashid have been left out of the T20 squad, with a view to them playing first class county matches in the meantime in preparation for the Test series, which is Root's first as captain.

There's also only one clear week after the end of this Tour before the first match with West Indies. That Tour will comprise three Tests, one T20 and five ODI matches. Something of a busy summer for England considering where they're heading in November...
    Last edited by Kevin S; 16-06-2017, 08:47. Reason: (A capital T for Test, of course.)

Mason Crane will be in the XI for the first T20I tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah, I was just reading that article as well, Kev. I can't help but worry this will prove to be another Chris Schofield moment. Seems he has plenty of promise though.

Comment

The fixture list in the back of Wisden claims this match is going to take place over four days. That sounds like a novel variation on T20.

Hope Liam Livingstone gets a good opportunity, he can hit the ball absolutely miles, can score around the wicket, he should soon be in the mix for the one day stuff too.

Comment

JJ Smuts out first ball in the opening T20.

I see he's an all-rounder, I presume he bowls some filth?

Comment

After Aggers kept saying "Farkhar" on TMS on Sunday, Ebony Rainford Brent now manages to work in the word "fan-y" (as in "like a supporter"). Filth, I tell you.

Comment

Bumrah and de Kock caused my 10 year old son some hilarity when we were watching India v South Africa ( prompted by myself and my wife respectively, I'm ashamed to say).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Bumrah and de Kock caused my 10 year old son some hilarity when we were watching India v South Africa ( prompted by myself and my wife respectively, I'm ashamed to say).
                Nasser Hussain using the words 'swinging' and 'Willey' in the same sentence gave me a giggle there.

Comment

Can anyone following the game more closely tell me what was the general impression of Mason Crane's bowling?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                    Nasser Hussain using the words 'swinging' and 'Willey' in the same sentence gave me a giggle there.
                    South Africa have a 'Smuts' as well...is this Carry On T20 or something?

Comment

Didn't see the SA innings, but England are walking this. Great over for Roy.

Comment

They should drop Roy more often.

Comment

Haha, cursed him there. I did that.

Comment

Well, that looked easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                              South Africa have a 'Smuts' as well...is this Carry On T20 or something?
                              Er, yeah, that's what started this all in motion unthread.

Though I'm only really raising that to celebrate my hat trick in getting the same gag in both the Guardian and BBC's OBO coverage (the former via E10) as well as here.

Comment

Ah I missed that, sorry Ray

Comment

15 posts and not one about England playing in sky blue and red hoops (that don't go round the back).

This place has changed, man.

Comment

Wait until you see the Test kit, which makes you think they're representing NatWest.

Comment

I quite like the shirt, though prefer the ODI one.

Highlights here: https://www.ecb.co.uk/tv/422168

Comment

I like that shirt too.

Comment

Taunton gearing up for England's return after 34 years.

Comment

Curran with three wickets in his debut.

Comment

Jason Roy out obstructing the field.

Comment

There's a collector's item!

Comment

I have never heard of Liam Livingstone. I'm officially out of touch wiv da (T20) kidz

Comment

Working...
                                                  X