The Race Across America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And some post race thoughts, kind of at random:

- It might be the hardest thing I've ever done. And that is despite only being crew and not being a rider. If you'd asked me on Day 8 whether I'd consider doing it again, I'd have told you that you were mad. But already I'm thinking about it. Incredibly hard but very, very rewarding.

- Everyone else on the race was incredibly friendly. I think doing something this big creates a sense of camaraderie.

- If I did it again, I'd be more selective about my crew, if at all possible.

- This is just a magnificent country, with amazing scenery

- I love that it's still regional, and you can tell your progress by the brands on the grocery stores and the gas stations. You start with Arco gas in California, which shift to Valero in Arizona, and then to Maverick as you head further north. Once you're into Colorado it's Sinclair, with its friendly green dinosaur, and on to Kansas where you shift in to - I think - Cenex and Kwik Shop. Somewhere in Missouri it's Caseys General Stores (which are pretty good), then halfway across Illinois these change to Speedways and Marathons. These continue on until you're halfway across West Virginia, where you see your first Sheetz. Which are the best of the lot. I have become a huge fan of Sheetz gas stations. And then, right at the very end of the country, you find the legendary Wawa (which isn't as good as Sheetz)

- One thing that is frightening and amazing is how many confederate flags there are once you get on the wrong side of the Mississippi river.

Comment

Congratulations to you and everyone involved.

All just a tiny bit nuts.

Comment

Wawa over Sheetz is a pretty hot take, as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
        X