Green Jacket & Pink Balls - Masters 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIM wrote: Why does everyone like Sergio Garcia when he's racist?
    He apologised, apologised again and seemed genuinely contrite and sick to his stomach. People say off-colour things all the time, especially when they're trying to be funny, and misjudge their boundaries.

Besides, it's golf. Trying to be woke when talking about that sport and a major tourmament played at a previously segregated country club seems to be a pseud's exercise to me. It seems bizarre to focus on Garcia as the big fat racist because he said something stupid and other people heard it when you had three white American males who I absolutely 100% guarantee vote Republican and are delighted Donald Trump is President. Fuck, they're from the class of people who furthered the fried chicken stereotype to begin with, not white Spaniards.

Comment

So basically it's because golf's vile?

Comment

If you haven't noticed that golf is full of right-wingers, I don't know what to tell you. David Duval was famously the only Democrat on the PGA Tour for yonks.

Comment

Course I've noticed. It's one of the reasons I think it's shite.

Comment

EIM wrote: So basically it's because golf's vile?
            Don't know how vile golf is but Augusta is particularly so

Golfers had to hire black caddies until the 1980's and there were no black members until 1991

"A Martian skimming overhead in his saucer would have to conclude that white Earthlings hit the ball and black Earthlings fetch it, that white men swing sticks and black men carry them” is how John Updike described the tournament in 1979.

Comment

EIM wrote: Why does everyone like Sergio Garcia when he's racist?
              I've always loved him because he seemed like the fourth Beastie Boy.

He said a really dumb thing with lazy racist overtones once and seemed genuinely apologetic and annoyed with himself for it. It's a mark against him but I'm not going to make an overall judgement on him based solely on it. Tiger tweeted his congratulations last night so I don't think he has either.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: Imagine the outpouring of pleasure if Garcia had donned the green jacket on the 18th green in front of hundreds or thousands of joyous spectators in the last of the golden Augusta sunshine.
                Er, they do that as well.

Comment

Working...
                X